Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Show us your Beaver!

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Show us your Beaver!

Old 06-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Spuetz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Show us your Beaver!

Paul,
put a nine cylinder Seidel in it! And Solo-Prop, painted silver... Oh,,, ah.... the sight, the sound...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92080.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	703438  
Old 06-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Goldfinger41

Paul,
How did he ruin a mezjlik, they are carbon fiber, I can see wood prop go bad.
Wade
Old 06-13-2007, 07:50 PM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never felt very comfortable around gas engines swinging APC props. At least a wooden prop has a chance to break if an accident occurs (flesh, bone, etc...).

Mine is 20 x8 Master Airscrew is polyurethaned and balanced. Never any hint of water damage or imbalance after 5 float flying sessions.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:32 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Goldfinger41

Paul,
How did he ruin a mezjlik, they are carbon fiber, I can see wood prop go bad.
Wade
The prop was on his 1/2 scale spacewalker with a 3W200 in it. He said he was shocked at how fast the erosion took place. This is a big plane with a big motor and I'm not surprised he had problems, however, I am surprised at the speed at which the problems ocurred.

Paul
Old 06-14-2007, 10:34 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spuetz

Paul,
put a nine cylinder Seidel in it! And Solo-Prop, painted silver... Oh,,, ah.... the sight, the sound...

Ahhhh.... you make me drool. If only the budget would allow.

I have seen some of the videos with these radials running and the sound is incredible!

Next time I'm in Germany, maybe you can show me yours!

Paul
Old 06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
akflyer
My Feedback: (7)

a couple new pics.. took me forever to get them side by side but I finally accomplished it at our last float fly! Now I need a bigger one..

Name:	Fd91809.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	712413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17969.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	712414  
Old 06-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Goldfinger41

now , thats a beaver!

very nice .
Old 06-28-2007, 12:56 AM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

Ooh Nice one there AK, brilliant job - well done. Have you weighed it ( your one ) at all? and has/ is anyone using a four cycle engine like me? After noting your prop sizes with the gasers I'm just wondering if the Saito 180 with a 18x6 will be strong enough....

Cheers, Paul
Old 06-28-2007, 08:08 AM
akflyer

Mine is 22# G-26 16X8 3 blade graupner. Not overpowered by any means, but flys great! Has way more than scale power.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:33 AM
arobatx

AKflyer,

I'll be in your neighborhood July 22nd-28th....got any float flying going on while I will be there? Or if you have any advice on where I can go sightseeing for full scale Beavers and any other floatplanes let me know!

Thanks,

Chad
Old 06-28-2007, 09:17 AM
akflyer

We have one scheduled for the 14th and 15th, but that does not mean we cant get together and burn some air! To find beavers....Check out Longmere Lake just North of Soldotna, High Adventure Air operates 2 beavers off that lake. Island Lake in Nikiski has several Beavers and Turbine Otters operating off it. If you are going through Anchorage you have to swing by Lake Hood... There you will see more beavers, and every other type of float plane known to man. Lake hood is one of the buisiest seaplane ports in the nation i think.

I will drop you a PM with more contact info if you want to get together and do some float flying. I have lots of electrics and a LT40 on floats for anyone who wants to fly!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:37 AM
arobatx

Thanks AKflyer,

I've got your info, and hope to make something work out! You are quite lucky to have such a beautiful environment to fly in....and heck, in the summer you can pretty much fly around the clock right?

Noah, can you imagine getting that call from me?.....hey man, it's midnight and we're going flying, let's go!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:47 AM
butlern

Of course I'm jealous! Sounds like a fun trip, Chad.

If you do get together, be sure to closely inspect the rigging on AKflyers' KMP Beaver. Looks pretty scale! I'd like to know more about the Sea Commander set-up... stock, or highly modified from Sea Commander compoentents? Water rudder rigging, too.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:07 AM
akflyer

I am at work right now, but I can have the wife takes some close up pics of the rigging if you want me to. I machined the fittings from 6061-t6 bar stock on a borrowed mill that dates back to about 1859...it was impossible to hold any type of tollerance as she was just plain worn out but they still look OK. One of these days I will get around to running them through a CNC mill as I have the cad files completed for the scale EDO fittings. I sent the files to several companies and was quoted about 450.00 for the CNC work on the fittings...OUCH

Yes we can fly at midnight if we wanted to! infact, we may have to make a point of getting some video of it for you just so you can say you did lol..
Old 06-28-2007, 10:12 AM
butlern

Thanks for the reply, AKflyer.

I suspected it was not as straightforward as using stock fittings and rigging! I would still love to see some close-ups, but there's no hurry for you to post. Do it at your own convenience!

Regards,

Noah
Old 07-10-2007, 09:30 AM
jkellis

AKFlyer

Great pix on the Beaver! I need some input on flying characteristics please. I just completed my KMP Beaver with G26 swinging a Master Airscrew 18x6 . I have the stock non-retracting water rudders. How much up elevator do you hold as you start your takeoff run? AUW on mine dry is 20#120z. Full, partial,or no flaps on takeoff? Think the G26 will fly it scale all right but don't know what gremlins await. Any input will be appreciated since all my water flying so far has been limited to amphibians. Thanks, Jeff.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:54 AM
jkellis

Noah,
I might ask for the same input from you as you recently flew your Beaver in Ia City. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks, Jeff
Old 07-10-2007, 10:08 AM
akflyer

First off, I had an 18X6 APC and thought I liked it... till I went to the 16X8 three blade.. I like that much better. For take off, I use about 1/3 flaps, just a few clicks really helps it. I dont have my throws in my head, but can measure them tomorrow when I get home. I know I had way too much elevator initially. I finaly got it up high, flew along a about 3/4 power and yanked full up.. and dialed it down till the plane would not snap when full elevator was applied. This made a HUGE difference in the flying. I also have some down elevator mixed to flaps so it stays straight and true when I hit the flaps.
For landing you will have to carry power all the way to touchdown and fly it on. This was a challenge till I put some expo and a curve on the throttle so now every click makes an RPM change. For most gassers unless you run a throttle curve and expo there is not much of an RPM change from about 1/2 throttle on.. so it is touchy on the bottom end. Now it is very easy to land almost perfectly everytime.

I dont know if you added the ventral fin like I did, but that makes a HUGE difference in the flight. Mine used to hunt real bad in yaw till I put the venteral (sub) fin on.

Another thing, I have about 25% more up aileron than down, to get rid of alot of the adverse yaw. That made her fly better to.

For take off, it is water rudders up, 1/3 to 1/2 flaps, full up elevator and come in smooth withthe power, as she comes up on step ease off the up but still keep a slight nose high attitude, but not digging the heels. She should fly right off. Stay one step ahead on the rudder. I have found that if I let it rock forwads on those cool vees on the front half of the floats she will be a real bear. keeping the nose slightly high and the front of the floats out of the water makes it a dream though.

I dont know if you have seen the link but this shows a take off and landing, after I got it all dialed in. Now most every one looks like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTPSEsE0ugY

I will have alot more vids from our float fly on the 21st and 22nd to post up by the end of the month.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:37 PM
jkellis

AKFlyer,
Thanks very much, that's the info I was looking for. Good luck on your float fly event in a couple of weeks, wish I could join you!
I will post a pilot report after the maiden on my Beaver. Right now it ALMOST looks too beautiful to put in the water. Thanks again!!
Jeff
Old 07-10-2007, 05:44 PM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

Hi there AK,
Dunno if anyone's asked you, but... Would you mind showing and describing your landing light install. Looks great.
Was much damage done with the heavy landing by Capt Morgan??
Cheers, Paul
Old 07-10-2007, 06:11 PM
akflyer

I will takes some pics of the light install when I get home tomorrow. The floats were SHATTERED, but everything else came out fine.... learned my lesson on that one.. only the foamies come out to play after the captn shows up around the campfire...
Old 09-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Nobody has anymore Beaver pics?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Baldeagle

This is My Turbo Beaver built from Unionville Hobbies kit. 16 lbs with home made floats. Foam sheeted with 1/16 balsa fiberglassed. Saito 150 for power. We fly at 6500 ft elev.
Lot of scale detail added , open door , bulg windows. rivets and scale flap hinges. Even an oar mounted on the floats. Hope I don't need it.

Name:	Om31919.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	764009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12633.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	764010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42910.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	764011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr47274.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	764012  
Old 09-16-2007, 05:28 PM
butlern

Looks great, Rich! I especially like tha oar. You know, one scale detail that I have always wanted to add was a canoe strapped to the float rigging, but I've never been able to locate anything suitable (in 1/5 to 1/6 scale). I suppose If I ever decide to do it I'll have to carve my own from foam.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Baldeagle

Thanks. Yes a canoe would look good. Rich

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.