Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Aileron servo location on float planes

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Aileron servo location on float planes

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 02:16 PM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron servo location on float planes

I'm just starting to build my first float plane. A GP .40 cub w/ GP floats. Question: should I use the one (internal) servo for the ailerons like the plans show or can I use two (external) aileron servos, one on each half of the wing. If I use two external servos, will water get into my radio system?

Ryan
Old 03-15-2003, 02:39 PM
WeLaserCut

Default Aileron servos

You can use the single servo, or the 2 servo method. Both will work just fine.
Water and aileron servos are not generally a problem as they are well away from any spray given off from the floats or prop.
Even if the plane flips, the top of the wing is normally floating clear of the water.
Some people use a thin plywood hatch over the servo and burry it inside the wing. A small wire pushrod is all that is exposed to the elements.
One guy I know even went so fas as to use a thin rubber sheet with a slot cut in it for all of his pushrod exits. Dont think he needed it, but it was a good idea.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:00 AM
cf-drg
My Feedback: (1)

Default Aileron servo location on float planes

If you do go with servos in the wings, be sure to water proof the area with something ( I use lacquer base sanding sealer ). If you don't and it gets wet, wich it probably will at some point, the hatch may warp slightly and maybe a rib or two...Just better to be safe than warped...
Old 08-13-2012, 07:50 PM
tfontechia

Default RE: Aileron servo location on float planes

What about the servos? What if they get some spray from take off and landing? Do they need to be waterproof? Covered? I'm using Hitech HS-225Mg servos and all of them have the top exposed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63665.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1791779  
Old 08-14-2012, 03:28 AM
goirish

I'm watching this post as I have the same question.  I wanted to put a servo on one of the floats and was thinking of dipping the servo in
corrosion X.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:54 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Hitec has waterproof servos now,, I'd go with one of those if you plan to have it mounted exposed,, Otherwise I'd make a seal-able hatch in the float

I've had several float planes with servos mounted on the bottom of the wing in hatches,, never had enough water splashing on them to cause isues,,