Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Frequently asked questions about Seaplanes

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Frequently asked questions about Seaplanes

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 06:21 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Frequently asked questions about Seaplanes

http://www.smilesandwags.com/Floats.html
Old 12-19-2007, 10:23 AM
captjckirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Frequently asked questions about Seaplanes

Hi Jim, thanks for the link, lots of good info. As I mentiomed in a different post I have appreciated your help in getting started in floats. My grandson thinks the old LT-40 is for old duffers like and wants a 4*60 on floats. Any suggestions you might have will again be greatly appreciated. I tend to build heavy, and think that Plane fun floats are the way to go. Joe
Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 PM
JimCasey

a 4-star 60 is not that much different from an Astro-Hog, and those work great on 40" floats.

The worst thing about a low wing plane is that you have to insert the wing through the float struts. I have liked the plane fun floats as long as I have known about them, and they help keep the plane light. You have got to wean yourself from building heavy. There is just not a benefit to it. A heavy plane just has that much more kinetic energy than a light plane, so you just damage that much more of it if it hits something. "Just a gram here, just a gram there" adds up. I used to fly with a guy who built astonishingly heavy. We'd carry his plane out and it was like carrying a tombstone. His planes did not fly gracefully.

With a low-wing and a 4-stroke, you'll need to mount all your electronics back in the fuselage. This not only balances the plane but it keeps the electronics out of the water better if you get blown over.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:26 AM
captjckirk

Thanks Jim, quess I over stated building heavy, I just like to put enough glue where it is needed.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:56 PM
SU29
My Feedback: (20)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Jim, I'm considering putting floats on one of my planes and was wandering if you have a good source for foam and fiberglass floats. I'm also curious how durable the fiberglass floats are?

thanks for the help.

Jeff
Old 01-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Crewcut

A good source is www.seacommander.com They are similar to the old STREAM INC floats which were very good but closed down about 10 years ago. I still have a set on my Stream Schneider Sport 60.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:13 PM
SeaPlaneSupply
My Feedback: (7)

Try [link]http://seaplanesupply.com[/link] They have 40" foam core floats
Old 03-03-2008, 06:01 PM
winglift
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Crewcut

A good source is www.seacommander.com They are similar to the old STREAM INC floats which were very good but closed down about 10 years ago. I still have a set on my Stream Schneider Sport 60.
Can you tell me the difference between the Stream Schneider 60 FLOAT kit and the DELUXE kit?

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:28 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The deluxe kit includes the floats AND wheels. (It doesn't fly very well on wheels.)

Jim
Old 05-10-2008, 09:04 AM
ryanpilot
My Feedback: (4)

Hey there. I searched and couldn't find my answer. What is the formula for determining how long your floats need to be for any given airplane???
Old 05-10-2008, 06:04 PM
JimCasey

75-80% of the distance from the prop washer to the rudder hinge line. And it's in the website in multiple places-sorry your search didn't work.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:11 AM
Rudys Pilot

Hello seaplanes fans,
What I'm looking for is a great all around seaplane. I've been doing alot of research and found that no seaplane is really great. I've been looking at the catalina and the DH beaver from E-flite. I'm not a great RC builder I'm not looking to make a bunch of modifications if I'm going to spend alot of money on it. I've been reading forums where they spend so much time on the modifications they could have built it from scratch! So my question is "which Electric Seaplane is better" the Catalina, Lanier, seawind or DH beaver from E-flite? My budget is around 400.00

thanks guys,
Scott
Old 07-13-2008, 07:46 PM
wildbills21

Hello Seaplane fans, I am looking for a Lanier Mariner 120. I know they do not make the ARF anymore. Does anybody have one out there they want to get rid of or is there a kit that is comparable to this model.

Thanks,
Wild Bill
Old 08-02-2008, 09:09 PM
flyman1948

Friend of mine has a Thunder Tiger Sea Master. The wing is made to be removed and has a small gap where the wing meets the fuse. Any ideas how to prevent water from entering this gap? Thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 04:41 PM
cbr600f2

ORIGINAL: Rudys Pilot

Hello seaplanes fans,
What I'm looking for is a great all around seaplane. I've been doing alot of research and found that no seaplane is really great. I've been looking at the catalina and the DH beaver from E-flite. I'm not a great RC builder I'm not looking to make a bunch of modifications if I'm going to spend alot of money on it. I've been reading forums where they spend so much time on the modifications they could have built it from scratch! So my question is "which Electric Seaplane is better" the Catalina, Lanier, seawind or DH beaver from E-flite? My budget is around 400.00

thanks guys,
Scott
Have you consdiered the HobbyZone SC ? It's all foam, stand off scale and on a set of GWS floats and a lipo battery (w/ stock motor) it's a hoot. I just got back from vacation with about 30 flights off the river at my in-laws. The plane is a great value, very very good looking in the sky with the floats and if she tips over there's no worry that she'll sink. I have about $220 total into it ($160 for the plane RTF, $10 for the floats, $40 for 2 3S 2200 lipos) Can't beat the fun per dollar. Take a look at the Parkflyer forum and there is a lot about this particular plane. JMO...
Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

Flyman 1948, that was a good year; I have a Conn tenor saxophone, made in 1948, that I bought recently from a guy down in Florida, and what a beautiful sound it has. They're certainly not made like that anymore.

Back to the problem. I used a rubber door sealing material that comes in a roll from the hardware store. It's semi tubular, probably a little fatter than a half circle, about 5/16th of an inch across, with a flat piece down one side that is self adhesive. It compresses very well, down to about 1/16th inch.

If you can't picture it or are having difficulty with the concept, let me know and I'll post a pic of it.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:31 PM
NEXTCRASH

Are water proof receiver and speed controls available?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

A great way to water proff the wing saddle is to put a bead of silicone all around the wing saddle,(after good cleaning of saddle) then line that with waxed paper, (no wrinckles) then mount and tighten the wing. Let it set overnight. Remove the wing and gently pull off the waxed paper. The silicone will not stick to waxed paper. Now you have a nice silicone gasket seal around the wing. That's how I do it, works great. Just my 2 cents.
John
Old 11-02-2009, 07:25 PM
GaryGrosso

Where can I get servo shields for the bottom of the wing?
Old 12-25-2009, 08:50 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: GaryGrosso

Where can I get servo shields for the bottom of the wing?
Most people just make them themselves from plastic bottles, etc

Why is this thread a Sticky if no one is going to answer peoples questions in a timely fashion??,

Really 2 months for this simple question and no one replies? the question before that took 5 months to get a reply???
That doesn't help the new people get and/or stay in excited about the hobby. this poor guy Gary, Joined, asked a question, didn't get an answer and hasn't posted again?? We may have lost him, that sucks big time

I'm just checking in because I'm trying to get motivated to get back into RC again, been into Dirt Bikes and rc offroad racing the last few years.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:00 PM
GaryGrosso

Thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 08:01 PM
JimCasey

>>Why is this thread a Sticky if no one is going to answer peoples questions in a timely fashion??,
Old 03-01-2010, 10:36 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Then just lock it if you don't want more questions posted
Old 07-12-2010, 01:40 PM
cpt nj

Agreed !
Old 07-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Flyin Beagle

Thats pretty funny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.