Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

.20 size flying boat advice wanted

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

.20 size flying boat advice wanted

Old 01-15-2008, 03:17 PM
kingbee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .20 size flying boat advice wanted

Hello,
I've decided to build a seaplane this winter to play with when we go to the family cottage during the summer. I'm looking for a .20 size (because I already have a motor), flying boat type with 4 channel control.

A couple I've found in RCM are the Curlew Mk II and the Seamaster II, the latter being a Ken Willard design. I've also downloaded plans for the Drake, which would have to have ailerons added, but that's no big deal.

So my questions: Can anyone with actual experience with any of these designs tell me what you like or dislike about them? Also, are there any other similar designs I might want to consider? I'm an old scratchbuilder so plans are all I'd need, although I wouldn't be averse to buying a kit if one was available that fit my needs. I'm not at all interested in an ARF.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 01-15-2008, 09:54 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: .20 size flying boat advice wanted

Find plans for a .20-size SeaCruiser. It is very much like the Drake.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Falcon6667

I have always thought a smaller version of aces sea master would be a good flyer. i have 2 of the 40 size kit built one has a st45 an the other has a sayto 50. i would think you could reduce a set of plans an have a good smaller version..
Falcon
Old 01-16-2008, 05:32 PM
kingbee

I have always thought a smaller version of aces sea master would be a good flyer
I think that's what the Seamaster II is- the Ace Seamaster 40 was about 60" span, the Seamaster II is 48" span. The planes look very much alike, and I believe the ace model was designed by Ken Willard. Check it out: http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...m=plans:pl-913

The Curlew, mentioned above, is kind of interesting- instead of a vee or flat bottom forward hull, it has a kind of tunnel hull shape that the designer (Scott Christensen) claims gets it up on the step quickly and cuts down on spray from the bow wave.

Regarding the SeaCruiser: I've seen pictures of it, and I really like the looks of it and the Drake, but plans for the SeaCruiser don't seem to be available. Is it much different from the Drake, other than having ailerons? Or do you know a source for SeaCruiser plans?

Cheers,
Dave
Old 01-16-2008, 06:12 PM
PeterC

The Sea Master II aand the Sea Cruiser arn't that much apart other than the tail (tripple fin on the Sea Cruiser) Ken Willards designs always seem to fly well and there is no reason the Sea Cruiser shouldn't either. The Drake was an old Ken Willard design enlarged from a 1/2 A free flight design. I once built a Drake with ailerons for a 25. I made the mistake of putting full sized servos, receiver and battery in it and it ended up a bit heavy. If I were to do a Drake again I would (1) deepen the step, (2) lengthen the nose slightly, and (3) put it on an extreme weight saving program. Of all of them I think the Drake is the prettiest because the fuselage is a little deeper and has a more realistic cabin area.
Any of them should be good fliers so pick your favorite. Just watch the weight.
Peter
Old 01-16-2008, 07:41 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

One of the best "little" planes I ever had was an Top Flite Elder 20.
It was a trash find/rebuild, I scratch built a set of taildragger floats for it, (Foam and 1/32 ply with varnish)
It had an old 40 surpass that was way more power than it needed, I flew it at about 1/4 throttle

I loved that little plane, touch and goes all day long,

I wish I had a better picture of it, it's hiding behind the Extra

[link=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/JoeFriday/Model%20Planes/tntatthefloatfly.jpg][/link]
Old 01-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished buiding my Seamaster II using plans. Instead of a .20 glow motor I put a 400W brushless motor in it so I can fly it at the local park. It came in at about 3.5lbs ready to go with the 2200mah Lipo battery on board. I'll have to wait until spring to see how she flys, all ice here right now.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57188.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	857045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48591.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	857046  
Old 06-02-2008, 12:35 AM
jkazak

i had a seamaster II as you desribe with the 48 inch wing span for about three flights and wow what a plane it was fast and slow and i took of taxied and other wise fooled around on the grass runway like it was on wheels unfortunately due to my own error i smashed on the third flight i think it was a loose aileron servo wire cause she rolled on me and i couldn't control it anymore my only regret is not trying it on the water
Old 12-16-2008, 04:43 PM
LarsL

I completed a Ken Willard Drake II just this past summer. Thayer Syme from Fly RC, who is a real Ken Willard Drake fan gave me suggestion. I built my almost exactly per the plans which I purchased from the AMA's plan service. I scalled it up from 48" to 53" wingspan as my engine is an Enya .19. That was also Thayer's suggestion as he had done one years ago and found it to have plenty of power with a .15. My opinion is it looks much nicer than the Sea Master. It flies great, perfect for those late summer afternoons at a lake or pond.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:40 AM
beau0090_99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the House of Balsa Chea Pass seaplane kit? It is rated for .10 glow, but I think you could go a little above this and throw a BL motor on it. I had researched this a little before settling on the Sig Sealane for myself, and I think I might come back to it as a later build sometime when i get into electrics more.
Good luck,
Curtis
Old 12-18-2008, 09:24 AM
alasdair

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
I've seen the Seamaster II and it goes quite well. I think the one I saw had a 30FS. I have seen a Sea Cruiser as well, but it didn't handle very well (maybe the builder/pilot?). In any wind it tended to drag a wingtip in the water (see photo). I couldn't find an airborne shot. This was the 40 size with a ST45.

Another suggestion would be my design, that has even better water handling than Seamaster.
Splash was published as a free plan in the UK magazine AMI (Aviation Modeller International) published by Model Activity Press
http://www.modelactivitypress.co.uk/

Splash was designed as a really simple flying boat for a 25 two stroke, but has also flown with a 30FS, and with twin Speed 600 electric and twin ASP 12 two strokes.
If you want the model plans get the back numbers of AMI magazine, March and April 2008. email Tony direct at
[email protected]
The March free plan has the fuselage, sheet tail, foam wings for single ic.
The April free plan shows a built up wing & tail and twin conversion details.
The website is a bit out of date and does not show these recent plans or back issues.

Small flying boats are a bit rare. I have seen another one called Shark published by Traplet but it needs a 32/36 and still doesn't handle as well as Splash.
Best of luck with whatever you build.
Alasdair

Name:	Om32009.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	1092020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65572.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1092021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78910.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	1092022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70806.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	1092023  
Old 12-18-2008, 06:32 PM
siddus74

Alasdair,

I have your plans form the 2 issues you mention, they are of excellent quality and it's definately one I a shall build at some point (I have a couple of OS 15FP's waiting for this one) . I saw one fly at the Collwick fly in earlyier this year, I think you were there - it was powered by a single 30FS and fly exceptionally well, water handleing was good also . . .

The plans detail a very simple build, constant cord wing etc slab side, build this one in my sleep . . . excellent.

Scott.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:42 PM
alasdair

Scott,
Glad you like it. I am just finishing Splash's big brother called Lomond, about 74" span with a 91FS.

I hope to make it to Colwick again next year. Heard any dates yet?
Alasdair
Old 12-20-2008, 06:52 PM
siddus74

Thats a big engine for that span, whats the weight? Do you have any pictures? With regards the dates I will confirm with Tony during the new year and post . . . am hoping o have my sunderland ready for the next colwick meeting as well

Scott.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:31 AM
alasdair

Scott,
Lomond was originally for a 60 2-st, then 80FS, but then the 91FS was the same size so that's what I fitted.
I haven't weighed it yet.
It is still in the workshop waiting for tip floats and a couple of servo linkages.
It is all covered now, but here are a couple of construction photos.

(Apologies for leading the thread astray)

Name:	Ay75957.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	1093704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41876.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	1093705  
Old 12-22-2008, 05:28 AM
Falcon6667

kingbee ,,,,,,,,Have you started anything yet?
Falcon