Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Unionville Turbo Beaver

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Unionville Turbo Beaver

Old 08-15-2003, 01:49 AM
John Hawkins
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unionville Turbo Beaver

I'm running a ST90. It's the older round head one. Plenty of power. We are at sea level. I tried using one of the long Higley needles but after it broke off the second time I just forgot about it. It has been flying for a half dozen years at the same needle setting both from the water and the snow. I run a 14 x 6. It's been a while since I weighed it but 17 pounds with the floats stands out in my mind. It is no problem at all at that weight, cruising at perhaps a little better than half throttle. I remember 37~39 ounces per square foot so a little math would show if those figures gibe. On that much wing the loading is no sweat. Seven servos are used.

I used a small bit of tail weight. I think I have a Sullivan soft mount in there so it would add a bit of weight.

The ST is side mounted with a pitts muffler. The head protrudes. I don't really notice the muffler so without looking I can't say that it sticks out much but I recall having to do some cutting to fit it. The 120YS should go in there OK, side or inverted.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:04 PM
BillHarris

One thing that can be done to save adding extra tailweight is to move the rudder and elevator servos tailward. I am using an OS FT 120 Twin on my radial Beaver and moved those servos back. Once you get the plane framed up, assemble it, install the enngine and avionics and check the balance; that will tell you if it needs nose or tail weight.

See the Beaver at Martin Rousseau's site: http://www.mraerodesign.com .

Since the Turbo Beaver has a longer nose moment, you may not need to do as much as with the short-nosed radial Beaver.

--Bill
Old 08-17-2003, 05:56 PM
PeterC

Hi Guys,
I just got back from a week and a half on the coast (west) so have been out of touch for a while. Saw lots of Beavers (radial) and one turbo Otter conversion (single engine). Fantastic conversion with lots of power. Unionville make an Otter kit also.
Further to what Smoky was asking about MAAC, ALL organized flying in Canada has a requirement that everybody belong and be covered by the same liability insurance so don't be dissapointed and join. Membership is not expensive. You will learn much about others in Canada and meet a whole bunch of great guys.
John, fantastic pictures of your Beaver. You seem to really have it sorted out.
Peter
Old 08-17-2003, 11:48 PM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks everyone for the tips on the Turbo Beaver. One thing I might consider is a friend of mine has a Cub on floats and he has a servo mounted in the floats for the water rudder and it really works good ,real possitive. I hope to have the Beaver built by thanksgiving . I am sure I will have some more questions as I progress. Thanks
Old 09-16-2003, 11:04 PM
Baldeagle

Default RE: Unionville Turbo Beaver

David mc
hOW ARE YOU COMMING WITH YOUR BEAVER? I lust got started on mine today. So far so good. Thanks
Old 09-30-2003, 10:36 PM
DavidMC
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Rich
I haven't been working on my beaver this summer. Been busy with work and flying when I get a chance. I want to put some more work into detailing it so it's waiting for the long winter.

Here are some pics from about last may or june.

This is the gear fairing. Its made from two pieces of 1/2" balsa over the wire. Ply tip plates help with the sanding.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69390.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	64822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76743.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	64823  
Old 09-30-2003, 10:38 PM
DavidMC
My Feedback: (6)

And here are some assembly shot pics. I replaced the stock plastic wingtip with home made balsa ones. I think they look much better.

Its a pretty big plane - had to move it out of the work shop to assemble.

Name:	Jh16310.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	64824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36811.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	64825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33701.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	64826  
Old 09-30-2003, 11:46 PM
Baldeagle

David The Beaver is looking real good. I know what you mean about the wing tips. They suck. I like your idea on the landing gear.
I made my struts out of alluminum arrow shaft. and put a pull pull set up on the rudder inclosed in the fuselage. I am going to do the same to the elevator. Thanks for the pictures. Rich
Old 11-15-2009, 10:46 AM
MaxAdventure

yes, it's an older thread, but it's still valid. I'd rather not start another:

I've been reading through some threads and I haven't found much mention of what servos are used. I (hopefully) have an 8' Turbo kit on the way and I was wondering if anyone might post the dimensions of the control surfaces and what airspeed (guestimation) they're seeing so I can run them through a servo calc.
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/eflight/calcs_servo.htm

I want to be sure I have enough torque, but I don't want to weigh the plane down with unnecessary hardware.

(any CA members, forgive my cross-post)

-da
Old 11-15-2009, 11:21 AM
tks1
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: MaxAdventure

yes, it's an older thread, but it's still valid. I'd rather not start another:

I've been reading through some threads and I haven't found much mention of what servos are used. I (hopefully) have an 8' Turbo kit on the way and I was wondering if anyone might post the dimensions of the control surfaces and what airspeed (guestimation) they're seeing so I can run them through a servo calc.
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/eflight/calcs_servo.htm

I want to be sure I have enough torque, but I don't want to weigh the plane down with unnecessary hardware.

(any CA members, forgive my cross-post)

-da

Wow I haven't been here or flown for ages - I just happen to still be subscribed to this thread lol.

I had an 8' Unionville radial Beaver. I used a standard JR servo for each control surface. One on each aileron, one on each flap, one for the elevator, one for the rudder and one for the throttle - total of 7 servos. I had a large capacity flight pack (I think it was 1200mah - it was on sale). Never had any problems with it and as far as I know it is still in service somewhere in Alberta.

Not sure what the weight differences are for the turbo model but I suspect they are very similar.

tks1
Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 PM
John Hawkins
My Feedback: (2)

Same experience as tks1 - standard Futaba servos on the 8' Turbo - one for each aileron, one for each flap. Never a problem.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Closterman

Just for your info guys , my Turbo Beaver are now available ! If you want something scale , it's the kit for you !

www.mraerodesign.com
Old 01-30-2010, 11:26 AM
MaxAdventure

ORIGINAL: BillHarris
Pasted below are the DHC-2 Beaver rigging angles:

CONTROL ANGLE TOLERANCE REFERENCE
SURFACE (degrees) (degrees) POINT

AILERONS
Up 18 +-2 outboard end
Down 11 +-2
Droop 15 +-1.5
(flaps
fully down)

WING FLAPS
Cruise 0 Inboard wing
flap hinge
Climb -15 +-1
Takeoff -35 +-1
Landing -50 +-2
Full Flap -58 +-2

Bill
If I read this right, with the following:
The ailerons also droop as flap is manually pumped down to a
ratio of 1 : 3 and a max. deflection of 15 deg.

This should be true for aileron range at a given flap setting:
Flaps D Aileron D Aileron U
-
0 - 11 18
-30 - 21 8
-58 - 26 -1

can anyone confirm if I'm reading the table right? I'm trying to finish my hinges and want to ensure I have enough movement to replicate scale controls. TIA!

Just for your info guys , my Turbo Beaver are now available ! If you want something scale , it's the kit for you !

www.mraerodesign.com
You truly have a beautiful kit I would highly recommend!
If I weren't building an overpowered tug with some scale aspect but wanted a 100% scale project, yours would be the one to get!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Muskoka dad
My Feedback: (5)

Hey guys is there anybody out there building a turbo beaver?  I have been building mine since sept 09' was going great till now. Does any one have a pic of the tail cone and tail wheel setup?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Thanks    Ewan
Old 02-16-2010, 05:22 PM
MaxAdventure

ORIGINAL: Muskoka dad

Hey guys is there anybody out there building a turbo beaver? I have been building mine since sept 09' was going great till now. Does any one have a pic of the tail cone and tail wheel setup? Thanks Ewan

I'm building the Unionville 8' turbo, but I'm just starting the fuse now, give me a couple of weeks... ;-)
Old 02-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Muskoka dad

Hey there  Max adventure i guess were the only ones left. You wanted to know what servos'  the flight instructor in my club is using futaba s3004       on everything and the plane flys great. So i went with the same ' oh by the way his plane is 6years old.  I figured out the tail cone issue' just the tail wheel now. I bought i tail wheel from mraerodesigns and just have to figure out how to install it. I will try to post some pics this weekend' give you something to look forward to.

Ewan

Old 02-19-2010, 03:30 PM
MaxAdventure

Ewan,
I've made some good progress the last couple of days- the firewall epoxy is curing to the firewall bearers right now. For servos, I decided to go with DS821 on the rudder and ailerons, with ST47 on the flaps and elevator.

My build thread is here: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52062 and I'm hoping to post some more pics by Monday. I'd love to have the struts done by then too. Too snowy to fly in my town for the weekend. I look forward to your photos!!!

A lot of great Unionville Beaver chat here too: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=88909 and user flytwice has been a huge help to me!
Old 02-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Muskoka dad

Thank you max adventure for that link' i have been trying to log on there for months with no progress.  I just read the whole thing and more. I like how some guys want a 12foot beaver. I think i will talk to Martin about that it sounds great  I will try to post the pics tommow night as i fly inside  in the afternoon.

THANK YOU  EWAN

Old 02-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Muskoka dad

Hey Max sorry i could't post the pics ' they looked horrible. Anyway i will try with another camera and post. I  read your  post on wattflyer' I would like to get on board but can't find were to post???   Looks like you might catsh  up to me.  I read were you were thinking of going with the wire ' just my 2cts  but i got warned before i started my build not to use the 50cent gear. I used aluminum and the original mounts as i will be float flying also.  In the pics 'u will see how i did it.

Sea  yea Ewan

Old 07-01-2010, 04:31 PM
MaxAdventure

wow, I kinda forgot about posting in this thread. I've have three outings with my turbo beaver, photos at the wattflyer link above. working on adding scale details.

as a note: the stock gear work fine from the newer kits, however after the rest of the scale detail I've done, I'll have to change out the gear one of these days. I've made it removable so I can do floats next, so fixing the gear some day will be no problem.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 AM
flytreetimes

I see that nothing has been posted here for a long time, but I have built the 8 ft Unionville Turbo Beaver. It runs on electrons!!
A Scorpion 4025-12, turning an EMP 15/8/3blade prop on 6S/5000 20-25C batteries. Power is about the equivalent of a 75-80 2 stroke.
With a lot of mods, the planes weighs 15 lbs RTF, is propped for 55mph tops, cruises nicely at half throttle.
Without flaps it lands quite fast, but with 22 degrees half flaps it is much gentler and easier to land. Takeoff without flaps is 150 ft or so, with 1/2 flaps it will get into the air in 75 ft.
The somewhat scale suspension front and rear really works great, I've tested it thoroughly!! If I can post pictures, it will show two apparently different planes. The " Magnum" Beaver was original, but on its 5th flight, I crashed it into a huge elm tree ( only one around), got disorientated on approach. Second pictures are of as plane is now after 100 hour rebuild, didn't have the heart to redo the original.
I really enjoy flying this plane, it looks great in the air, is my biggest plane, I intend to practise a bunch this coming season and perfect my landing techniques with full flaps!
Thanks, Maxadventure for your kind words, its been a blast learning the in and outs of these builds. Everyone has something to offer in the techniques they use to accomplish their builds! flytreetimes

Name:	Om32474.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1545323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91180.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1545324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24530.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1545325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96460.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1545326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te46431.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1545327  
Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Smoky

Beautiful Plane.
Mine started life about 10 yrs ago, (I think), with a .61 OS 2 stroke. it was fine with wheels. however it struggled with the floats attached. So I upgraded to a Saito .91 SGK. swinging a 14X 7 three blade, and it has been flawless ever since.

IF your interested in what this thing can do when you get bored with it. Here is a short video with landing lights on. I forgot to turn on the Nav lights but they are there too. and the 2nd set of landing lights flash,, but again I forgot to turn them one's on also.

Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPb6gOZS5mo

PS this one is JR Pro all the way.

Rick.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:09 AM
methanolmaniac

Hello,
Can someone post a picture of servo/push rods for the rudder aileron?

Did everyone mount there servos in the tail?

Did anyone have CG issues?

Thanks!

Mark
Old 08-14-2015, 12:57 PM
flytreetimes

Default 132" Turbo Beaver electric

This is my latest build, a 132" 29 1/2 lb Turbo Beaver built by enlarging Mr Aerodesigns plans by 20%. It run on a Suppo 7035-9 motor, spinning a 20 x 10 x 3 blade Mejznik CF prop thru a CC 110HV Esc on 12S/5000/40C batteries. Motor shows 4600 watts @ 103A at WOT. The build is shown on RC Groups under Giant Scale, called "Magnum Turbo Beaver".
It will not be put on floats. I built the landing gear for both this plane and the 8ft Unionville TB using Mr Aerodesigns patterns which would make them very easy to remove for floats. flytreetimes

Name:	Turbo Beaver flight prep.jpg
Views:	926
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	2114382   Click image for larger version

Name:	beaver.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	2114383  
Old 08-15-2015, 05:56 AM
allmetal plane
My Feedback: (1)

Very nice project!!! I am actually building a quarter scale Turbo beaver, but I am very skeptical to use electric stuff to powered, in the other hand,I will hate to cut a gross hole in the nose, Such is life....

Name:	11807577_10152983178221643_8595087716872383519_o.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	2114480  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.