Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Catalina PBY2 - Budd Chappell

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Catalina PBY2 - Budd Chappell

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 02:33 AM
siddus74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Catalina PBY2 - Budd Chappell

Bob, stick with the electric theme and build the Mars!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76701.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1246936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13864.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1246937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69812.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1246938  
Old 07-31-2009, 05:32 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott:

That is really pretty.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:30 AM
siddus74

Cant tempt you to build it then? My plan for the spruce goose can today dude, maybe you could be this one? . . .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ol31220.pdf (1.20 MB, 14 views)
Zx72562.pdf (1.29 MB, 16 views)
Cx75710.pdf (1.18 MB, 31 views)
Pn37087.pdf (1.20 MB, 40 views)
Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM
Mustang Fever

Scott:

The build article on your Goose implies that the builder doesn't ROW it. It's hand launched and lands on grass. ???

I think I'm going to stick with what I know works: OS 46s, 55s and 120s all work. I've been burned by electrics so often I'm about ready to say "never again".

Bill Price's 81" PBY kit has a glass hull, foam core wings and uses a pair of 46s. I'm really looking at it, as I did really want a PBY, after I got used to the looks, anyway.

http://www.rcairplane.net/index7.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15559.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1247123  
Old 07-31-2009, 09:47 AM
siddus74

Bob,

Could be tempted with that one myself . . . make a nice change to just assemble one eh? . . . I tried contacting him before building my cat, but never got a response. I seem to recall reading on a thread that he was taking a break from producing them? Find out if he is and how much etc, we can both build one!

Scott.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Mustang Fever

He's a professor at a university, so sometimes getting in contact with him during the summer is difficult.

I emailed him, but I'll give him a call now to see if he's still doing this.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Mustang Fever

Scott:

I just got done talking to Bill Price. He's still in the business, and I am sending off for the plans and the video for the 81" PBY 5A.

We talked a little bit, and he has simplified a lot of things, particularly in the area of the wing, so that the model is easier to build.

As things stand right now, I won't be able to buy one until around Christmas, but there is a possibility I'll be doing some consultant work for some old business friends, and that time frame could change. My priority is to finish the B-25 and get it flying so I'll have something really big, scale, and warbirdish for the IMAA warbird flyins.

When I'm ready to get one, I'll let you know so we can handle it ala twinstar.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Mustang Fever

Scott:

Bill Price's video tape and booklet on the 81" PBY arrived a few days ago, and I sat down tonite and watched the tape almost all the way through.

My impressions:

1. This bird is a great flyer. Very graceful and tracks well. With a pair of old 40's, it weighs 12 pounds and appears to have plenty of power for aerobatics if one desired to do them. The takeoff run is ridiculously short.

Bill increased the height of the fin, and the depth of the rudder a bit, but it is otherwise scale outline, except for in front of the pylon, where it is two inches longer than scale out to the bow for better water handling.
Bill can't land worth a ****, though.

2. This will be a very fast build. The hull is all put together (polyester resin and glass matt), and all the holes are already cut for the wing, the blisters, and the bow hatch. The wing is six pieces of foam core that are glued up around the spars and sheeted with balsa, using contact cement. (I've done this using Dave Brown's Southern Sorghum, and it is a very easy and fast way to build a very strong, straight wing.) Bill's engineering is exceptional. It's like he thought of everything and put it in the video.

I can make you a copy of the video onto DVD, but I don't know if the equipment on that side of the pond will play it. ??? Let me know.

My little PBY is going to get scrapped. Here's all the reasons:
1. The wing is permanently attached to the hull, making it impossible to take it anywhere except locally.
2. The electric motors were ruined by water.
3. I ruined one of the glow motors, in any case, I don't think they would have had sufficient power.
4. It's all cut up and nasty looking due to having to get the big battery out through a hole in the bow, instead of through the wing saddle. There's holes cut in both sides so I could get to the wiring that would have been accessible through the wing saddle.
5. The spray polyurethane that I used to seal the bottom and sides turned yellow and the whole thing looks like ****. It wouldn't even be good to hang from the ceiling, it looks so bad.

Not the first blind alley I've gone up. Certainly won't be the last.

I've been having a great time flying my Mustang and my Mariner flying boat. We've had a few days of decent weather the last couple weeks, so no building. I also got the heli itch again and bought an Axe 400 (Helimax). Can't believe how much better it flies than that %^$#@!&*()_ CP Pro 2. Not squirrelly at all. I shouldn't cuss the pro too much- I learned basic handling on it and have had no trouble with the Axe as a result. Helimax doesn't know how to make gyros, tho. It was bad right out of the box and I replaced it with a cheap Futaba. (G-190) It's a rate gyro, tho, so I have to stay on the rudder stick all the time which is probably good training????

What are you up to lately?

The wife would dearly love to go to the UK some day, but doesn't fly, so the only way we'll ever get over there together is on a liner. Think they'd let my fly a heli on the deck???[:-]

Later
Old 08-24-2009, 04:08 AM
siddus74

Bob,

Great to hear from you, I was wondering what you have been upto . . . The GP Cat sounds good, still a little concerned about the 29once wing loading; but on a flat bottom wing over 2M it should be ok I guess, and also it will allow for a wider range of flying conditions . . . be good to have a larger IC Catalina I think .

I would very much like to see that video, if you could convert it to a .AVI / .WMV .MPG then the whole DVD region issues would not be an issue, but if you put it on to DVD as a DVD im sure I can do something with it (I work in IT ) The better the quality the better please.

Is Bill actually producing them again then? I enquired twice with no repsonse, it kind of left me a little concerned about parting with any money with the fear of not recieving my goods - a bit like the whole RT Models and Canadair kit issue.

If you are confident that you can order 2 and actually get them, and post one on to me for @ reasonable cost - I'll build one with you definatley. Let me know what you expect the total cost to be inc delivery etc and an eta . . .

Sorry to hear about you scapping the Budd Cat, but I understand all to well when that point in time arrives - if I were you I would put it up in the loft in a corner and just leave it to be redescovered in a couple of years time, may reignite some interest etc. I always use the expoxy wing skinng stuff now and enamel, I know what to expect from that!

Good that you have been able to get out and do some flying, the Mars is coming along slowly and the Sunderland is being flown loads when I go to the water plane meetings . . . tapered wings and loads of power = excellent 4 point rolls!!!

A trip to the UK!, you would have to pop in . . . flying a heli off a boat deck - not sure I would, I have done it on the sim though (Aerofly prof) I have never used the GY190 only ever go with the 501 or 401 - they rock, larger .30 size machines are much much easier to fly than the small ones, thats for sure.

The twinstar is in the box at the moment, I aquired a cheap but immaculate flair Pupeteer recently so I have spent a short while shoe horning an SC52FS glow motor in it as it was built for electric and the firewall was all wrong . . . 10 hours worth of firewall / front end rebuild > > >

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656923&page=25#post12924680]Flair Pupeteer Firewall Rebuild[/link]

I am practising for my B cert at the moment (means I ould fly at a public event here in the UK) and am also going to build a pylon racer as we have a couple of good pilots in the club so it should be fun!, here is some info from our club web site I maintain > > >

[link=http://www.leenvalleymodelflyingclub.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=472&sid=dcccd72351f6e3f545913e329195ea3f]Pylon Racers Club 2000 Class[/link]

Keep me informed about the Cat and the Videos etc?

All the best Bob.

Scott.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:44 PM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Hi;Power fro a 72" PBY.Bought this one some time ago it is probably a scaled up version of the Bud Chappel one from the pictures Ihave seen of it!I have accumulated a pair of OS 32SXs was going to put them in a Dual Ace but the fellows seem to think they are a little small for it so thiking of useing them in this PBY.It is quite lite all built up constructin etc.Threaten to go electric but still have to get my Great Planes one operating on electric! Any thoughts on this?Thanks
Old 12-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Mustang Fever

Can you weigh it? Also, measure the chord of the wing near the center.