Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Propeller for Kadet Senior

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Propeller for Kadet Senior

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 09:01 PM
captjckirk-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Propeller for Kadet Senior

Have just completed floats for my Kadet Senior. The engine is a Magnum .61. two stroke. The total weight of the airplane is 10 lbs. Need to get an idea of what prop I should use. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:24 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have a fifteen year old Senior thats flown well on floats with Merco .60, K & B .61, and TT .61 and my preferrance with the TT were thirteen inchers 4wide, 5 and 6 pitch all three of those pitch figures worked well with the best performance using the TT was with the APC 13 x 4w (not normally available in shops but can be ordered and is a very wide bladed paddle). With the Senior a shorter/corser prop will not affect level speed much but not not have low speed thrust that the longer/flatter props will.

That same Senior is the one pictured in my Avitar and now has four Magnum .25's. So far with thirteen flights on wheels and weighs 12 Lbs. with a night lighting system and Will get back on floats this summer.

The Senior is a wonderful floatpane

John
Old 04-24-2003, 12:34 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the prop chart I use says a 12-6 is the low-pitch, hi-diameter end of the range. A 13-4 would snatch you out of the water RIGHT NOW, and also be a spiffy speed brake for landing. KadetSrs don't do FAST.

Here's the prop chart:
http://www.wcflyers.com/reference/re...roke%20Engines
Old 04-24-2003, 02:02 AM
WeLaserCut

Default prop size

For float flying you want low pitch for good pull of the wet stuff, and a nice high powered climb. larger diameter and lower pitch is the name of the game.
For a normal .61, I would use a 12/6 or 12/5. If it is a higher output engine, a 13/5 or 13/6 would be a treat to use.
You dont need top end speed so any of these props will work fine.
Heck, I have flown a senior on floats with an OS FP40. It was way, way, way underpowered, but that big wing would fly the same speed as anything with twice the power, it just took a lot longer to get to top speed and climb to altitude.

Peter
Old 04-25-2003, 01:32 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I agree with all the previous posts and add this. If you didn't know it already, make sure you use plastic (Master Airscrew, APC, ect) props and NOT wood. The wood will splinter from the spray and your prop will look like spaghetti.

I flew my Cloud Dancer with an OS 60 FP on a set of Goldberg Superfloats (wood - heavy) for years. Very fun!!!!