Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

1.20 Size Beaver on Amphib floats

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

1.20 Size Beaver on Amphib floats

Old 06-11-2008, 10:57 AM
SuperCub Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.20 Size Beaver on Amphib floats

I have a Unionville Hobbies 1.20 size Beaver that flys like a dream. I'd like to permanently install floats on her but I also want to be able to fly it at the field from time to time. I need some sort of simple method for attaching and removing wheels that won't add too much weight to her. Would love to make real operating amphib floats, but not in the picture at this point. If a four wheel system is used, do I need steerable nose gear? I usually just use air rudder for ground manouvering on other planes I own, but they are all tail draggers! Appreciate any ideas or directions to any similar sites.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:07 PM
CrashingSam

Default RE: 1.20 Size Beaver on Amphib floats

I'm thinking of getting that airplane. Did you go with the radial engine or the turbo? Did you use the 1.20 size 4-stroke or a .90 2-stroke?

As for the floats/wheels, of course it was designed for wheels with provisions for mounting floats. Apparently you want to do it in reverse. So, you could simply install a tube through each of the floats where you want the wheels to be mounted and use a straight piece of steel wire as a wheel axle with wheel collars inboard and outboard of each wheel. I suppose you would have to have a steerable nose whee for ground taxiing.

For realism, I would stick with the wheel system as designed and mount your floats either as designed or design a different mounting system. Keep the floats mounted and change to wheels only when you want to fly off land. I had a 40 size Unionville Beaver but never liked the float mounting system, so when I build the larger version, I intend to design my own float mounting system. I will need to wait to see the kit and the plans before I design the mounts, but looking at photos of real Beavers, it should be fairly easy to nearly duplicate a full-scale mounting system.

Good luck, Jim
Sam
Old 06-24-2008, 11:49 PM
bear 57

Default RE: 1.20 Size Beaver on Amphib floats

I found the best and easiest installation was as per the plan. At least the Turbo Beaver plan shows a good system.
When building the fuse two extra blocks are added on each side, as shown on the plan, along with blind nuts and you are away.
I have built both the Turbo and the radial version of the Beaver. I can change from wheels to floats in less than 15 minutes.
I can send pictures if you wish.
You are right, they are great fliers!
Lorne