Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Elecristar on floats (Video Added)

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Elecristar on floats (Video Added)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Fast Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elecristar on floats (Video Added)

I built and installed some Great Planes 40 size floats on my Electristar. The plane takes off, flys and lands well but I had to use a fare amount of up elevator to maintain level flight. I set the floats so so the angle between the top of the floats and bottom of the wing is 2 degrees positive. Is it because of the drag from the floats that I need so much up elevator? Should I change the motor from the stock down thrust to neutral or positive to compensate? Thanks.

[link=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v206/NitroFlash/RC%20Planes/?action=view&current=ElectristaronFloats.flv]Electristar on Floats[/link]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23719.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	979840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31948.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	979841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10166.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	979842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55636.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	979843  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Fast Guy

Default RE: Elecristar on floats (Video Added)

Bump
Old 07-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Stick40

Looks good! I think that adjusting the motor thrust angle to neutral would take care of the trim issue. Recheck your balance with the floats on to.

Stick 40
Old 07-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Fast Guy

Thanks Stick, I'm new to this flying buisness. I did balance the the plane with the floats installed before I flew. I also upgraded the motor and ESC as the stock Electristar power system had to fly at almost 100% to take off and fly. The floats added almost 2lbs to the flying weight. I will try changing the thrust angle.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:57 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'm a broken record about this, But those floats are HUGE and HEAVY.
Get some nice foam floats.
Lots of links for foam float suppliers on my website. I have no financial interest in any of them. I just link to them because it's the right thing to do.
BTW: Nice job both on the plane and the photography.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:20 PM
beau0090_99

I might have misunderstood your incidence of your floats, but I think it is supposed to be negative incidence between the tops of the floats and the wing. I may have the semantics backward, but the jist of my understanding is that if the float tops are perfectly horizontal, the wing should have a little up incidence (or angle of attack). May want to verify that to make sure that might not be why it is hard to take off with.
Great looking bird,
Curtis
Old 07-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Fast Guy

ORIGINAL: JimCasey

I know I'm a broken record about this, But those floats are HUGE and HEAVY.
Get some nice foam floats.
Lots of links for foam float suppliers on my website. I have no financial interest in any of them. I just link to them because it's the right thing to do.
BTW: Nice job both on the plane and the photography.
Jim, you have a very informative site and I got a lot of good info from it. My LHS had the great planes kit in stock so I bought it. This was before I read much about it. I did enjoy building the floats and creating the mounting system. Next set will be lighter.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Fast Guy

ORIGINAL: beau0090_99

I might have misunderstood your incidence of your floats, but I think it is supposed to be negative incidence between the tops of the floats and the wing. I may have the semantics backward, but the jist of my understanding is that if the float tops are perfectly horizontal, the wing should have a little up incidence (or angle of attack). May want to verify that to make sure that might not be why it is hard to take off with.
Great looking bird,
Curtis
If I measure from the top of the float to the bottom of the wing, the distance at the wings leading edge is 3/16in greater than the trailing edge so I thought that was positive. In the directions it showed to take a measurement off the flat bottom of the wing which I did. I have read in the forums to take a measurement from a line drawn from the leading edge to the trailing edge which would make my incidence about 3/4in greater at the leading edge. Hope this makes sense. Maybe I have too much positive incidence. Any ideas, thanks.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:26 AM
beau0090_99

I am not sure if that is too much, or too little, but if it is within 0-2 degrees, then I would think you would be fine. At least the incidence is in the correct direction. You can measure the wing chord and determine with a little trig what your resultant incidence is. I do believe it needs to be from the chord, and not the wing bottom.
Good luck,
Curtis
Old 07-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Fast Guy

Thanks beau0090_99. I looked at the manual a little closer after you mentioned the wing cord. I was measuring from the bottom of the wing instead of the wing cord which makes a huge differance on the Electristar. I believe I now have way too much incidence if you measure from the line drawn through the wing in the picture I attached of a Piper Cub. Is that correct? Thanks.

Name:	Xv65686.jpg
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	982665  
Old 07-02-2008, 07:16 PM
beau0090_99

Fast Guy.
I think you are on to it now. If you set it with the chord, hopefully it will glide off the water easier. I'd like to hear how it goes if you get a chance to try it out.
all the best,
Curtis
P.S. What stuck out to me when you first wrote is the all incidence meters that I know of use the chord by grabbing the tip of the wing and the trailing edge.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Fast Guy

ORIGINAL: beau0090_99

Fast Guy.
I think you are on to it now. If you set it with the chord, hopefully it will glide off the water easier. I'd like to hear how it goes if you get a chance to try it out.
all the best,
Curtis
P.S. What stuck out to me when you first wrote is the all incidence meters that I know of use the chord by grabbing the tip of the wing and the trailing edge.
Strange how much better things work when they are set up right.[X(] The plane went from being a handfull to fly with lots of up elevator to maintain level flight to a plane that you wouldn't hardly know even had floats installed. This time I set the incidence with the wing cord instead of the flat bottom of the wing and removed some of the down thrust of the motor. Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Brainiax

Here's another one converted to glow, OS 46AX. Maidened it this past Saturday and it was great.

Name:	Mk25495.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	991070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49830.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	991071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35097.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	991072  
Old 07-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Fast Guy

Looks good Brainiax[8D]. How did you set up the incidence on the floats? How do you find it flys compared to wheels? Why did you convert to glow? Enough questions.[X(]
Old 07-15-2008, 07:57 PM
beau0090_99

That's great to hear Fast Guy. Very confidence inspiring too. Here in Minnie, we are surrounded by lakes and I am excited to try putting some floats on my Nexstar. Keep the pics coming in!
All the best,
Curtis
Old 07-16-2008, 05:32 AM
Brainiax

ORIGINAL: Fast Guy

Looks good Brainiax[8D]. How did you set up the incidence on the floats? How do you find it flys compared to wheels? Why did you convert to glow? Enough questions.[X(]
1. I just used two H9 Ultra Stick landing gears and it worked out great.
2. It never had wheels so I don't know.
3. I bought the plane for $199.00 but didn't have any batteries or charger for it so I took out the electronics (except the servos, battery and receiver) and
sold them along with the radio it came with on E-bay. I had the motor and fuel tank already and figured it would need some extra power for float flying.
What a deal, I got a very nice plane with servos, battery and receiver for well under $100.00.

One other thing I did was eliminate the need for elastics for the wing. I glued a block in the rear of the fuse opening and installed blind nuts. I glued dowels (2) in the front of the wing for the pins and the wing already has a hardwood block in the rear for screw mounting. Worked out beautiful.

This plane is supposedly discontinued but you can find them on the net for $199.00 RTF. E-bay has just the airframes too here and there and they go for between $85.00-$100.00. One of the best quality and flying trainers out there and it makes a great float plane too!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Fast Guy

ORIGINAL: Brainiax

ORIGINAL: Fast Guy

1. I just used two H9 Ultra Stick landing gears and it worked out great.
2. It never had wheels so I don't know.
3. I bought the plane for $199.00 but didn't have any batteries or charger for it so I took out the electronics (except the servos, battery and receiver) and
sold them along with the radio it came with on E-bay. I had the motor and fuel tank already and figured it would need some extra power for float flying.
What a deal, I got a very nice plane with servos, battery and receiver for well under $100.00.

One other thing I did was eliminate the need for elastics for the wing. I glued a block in the rear of the fuse opening and installed blind nuts. I glued dowels (2) in the front of the wing for the pins and the wing already has a hardwood block in the rear for screw mounting. Worked out beautiful.

This plane is supposedly discontinued but you can find them on the net for $199.00 RTF. E-bay has just the airframes too here and there and they go for between $85.00-$100.00. One of the best quality and flying trainers out there and it makes a great float plane too!
Thanks for the reply Brainiax. I was thinking of bolting the wing on too. Got any pics of how you did it? The Electristar is a well built plane and makes a good float plane with all the servos mounted inside the fuse protected from water. Your right about the stock power system and float flying. I could take off and fly but it took almost all the power I had to do it. When I upgraded to a Rimefire 42-60 480, 80a ESC APC 14x8.5e and 5s lipo the Electristar had all the power it ever needed.