Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

1/3 FLOATS

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

1/3 FLOATS

Old 08-12-2009, 10:39 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/3 FLOATS

I am trying locate a plan or information on floats for a Modeltech 1/3rd scale cub-they call it 1/3rd scale but I believe it is smaller than the Balsa USA 1/3 Cub and not as scale. I would use their floats but I believe they may be a little too large and I was looking for a set of plans to help save that $169.00 for that box of wood. Any ideas? Thank you in advance........
Old 08-13-2009, 06:08 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 1/3 FLOATS

The best floats are aftermarket. Floats supplied with kits are almost always afterthoughts. Buy floats from people who specialize in floats.
If you want scale floats, there is SeaCommander. They make Gorgeous fiberglass floats, but for probably more than your budgetary number.
If you want performance and durability, there are 5 manufacturers of foam-cored floats listed on my website. PlaneFun floats definitely do custom sizes, and I think Seaplane supply might also.
Right length of floats is 75-80% of the distance from the prop washer to the rudder hinge line. Take a measurement, do the math, and then take a look at the websites to see if you find what you need.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:34 PM
SeaPlaneSupply
My Feedback: (7)

I can make any size float you need.....much lighter than a expensive box of wood..
Mark

www.seaplanesupply.com
Old 08-22-2009, 06:00 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Didn't mean to leave you out of my response, Mark. I just wasn't sure if you did custom sizes. Good to know.

We get SO many guys who buy Cinderblock floats before they start posting here. 20-size floats from Champaign, IL weigh over 2 pounds. And that's BEFORE they leak and carry around a bunch of sloshing water. Kind of a lot for a 3-pound airplane.
I recommend foam-core floats every chance I get.