Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Brian Taylor OS2U Kingfisher Build

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Brian Taylor OS2U Kingfisher Build

Old 01-11-2010, 10:18 PM
chistech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brian Taylor OS2U Kingfisher Build

I picked up the BT plans and lazer cut short kit from Bob Holman and will be building it as a float plane. My buddie has a slightly larger scale set of plans that show the float setup and I will be getting them scaled down to the same as the BT plans and applying the float design to my plane. I am quite impressed with the quality of the lazer cutting and the wood. The remainder of the wood I purchased here in MA at National Balsa in Ware. Quality wood, great pricing, and fast service. I picked up the same day I ordered. Will probably try forming my own canopies out of lexan. We will make the molds out of blue foam then fibreglass them so they are firm enough. Traplet Publications now owns BT plans and has the canopies and cowl but they are a lot of money to get them here to the states. We'll see when the time comes what I do for the cowl and canopies. Pictures to follow soon.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:35 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Brian Taylor OS2U Kingfisher Build

I used Corsair Cowl for mine (basically the same Vought Cowl) But mine was built at the same scale as the Royal and Top Flight kits 62" span
I wonder if my plugs would work for you, they might be too big

also, just a thought
When I build mine it came out tail heavy, pretty scary first flight
I had to open it up and add lead to the nose of the float, flew great once I got that squared away

scale dail has built one from the BT plans, he'll chime in I'm sure
Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 AM
chistech

Thanks for the info. I've got a new Saito 62 for it. Do you think it will have enough to get this off the water? I am presently running a 62 in a Kyosho mustang and it seems to have as much power as my OS 70 II so I think I should be fine. I think the extra weight of the Saito and I thought of a big battery right up front should help with the balancing issue. How did you make your floats? What plans did you use for them? Any help would be appreciated. The plugs your talking about are they for the canopies? Those would really help. We have a vac machine so that is not a problem. We have a guy in our club who is 95 years old who flew in VS70 out of Kodiak AK during WWII. He is still an active modeler and gets around just great. We have permission from the owner to use one of the best ponds to fly off of around and it is private. We only have to share it with a few fisherman. This gentleman will come to the pond every time we fly and sit there all day and talk to us. I currently have a 1/4 Super Cub on floats and when the weather warms up I will be bringing my other transmitter so I can buddy box him so he can have some flying time. There is a story on him that you can google and read about his times flying the kingfishers and then being moved to the F6F hellcats off the Hornet. His name is Fred Tuxworth and if you google him you can read about an amazing guy. I am modeling this Kingfisher in honor of him. The attached picture is from his being made our clubs first honorary lifetime member.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39523.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1354624  
Old 01-12-2010, 06:08 PM
scale only 4 me

I designed my own Main and Tip floats from 3-views, same with the rest of the plane. The only part that wasn't scratch built was the Cowl

Hard to say on the engine question,, mine is heavy,,, I flew it with an OS 91 surpass,, it was marginal at best, the 120 is the right motor for mine
I'll ask Scale Dail to chime in, he'll have a better idea on the weight/power needed for the plane built from those planes
Old 01-13-2010, 02:06 AM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Who ever heard of an OS2U Kingfisher without floats? Might as well build a T-6! Well the Brian Taylor plans ONLY show the wheeled version so most models built from those plans have WHEELS! What a mixed up world we live in![&o]
So I got my short kit from Bob Holman a few years ago and had to draw up my own plans for the floats. This was my first plans built model, and scratch building the main float burned me out and I put it away! Once I finish my next Royal P-38, I will get back to it.
I was planing on an OS .52 four stroke cause only the rocker cover would stick out on its side. You know, The Kingfisher was not fast. So speed and masive power are not needed to fly scale. I figured that engine would just get it off the water with one notch of flaps down. At 58" span and a lot of wing cord the weight should be about 6-8 pounds. Although my models always end up a little heavier than planed!

Name:	Ec88516.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1355216  
Old 01-13-2010, 07:28 AM
scale only 4 me

Oh, I thought you finished it,, oh well
I'll bet ya $1 I get my CL415 done first,,Haven't touched it in years either
Old 01-13-2010, 10:48 PM
chistech

Got some pics of the build. Nice lazer cutting and nice wood in the short kit from Bob Holman. Pics are of half nights work.

Name:	Fd91978.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1355695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17924.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1355696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14550.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1355697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92880.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1355698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny27607.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1355699  
Old 01-13-2010, 10:56 PM
chistech

Got my buddie's plans copied and scaled down today. Had to change his plans down from 1 3/4" =1' to the BT which are 1 5/8" = 1'. The copying company computed a difference of 92.8 percent. Copied the first sheet and measured the wing. It was 58" just like the BT so the percentage was correct. The plans are Charlie Smith plans from AZ. My bud has had them since 1980. The plans show all the float bulkheads and mountings. I think this would have helped Scale Dail with his. If you need any copies of the tip floats let me know. The plans even have a design for the rear machine gun. Will have to put the gun in for sure.

Name:	Ki19126.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1355702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54043.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1355703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38397.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1355704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63314.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1355705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi62408.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1355706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pf60403.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1355707  
Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 PM
scale only 4 me

I recommend you figure out how the float will attach before you do much more work on the fuse.
Build those attach points strong

Looks good so far otherwise
Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

I'll be watch'in this![8D] I have done nothing on my tip floats yet.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:26 AM
chistech

A quick question. On the plans it shows to offset the vert fin and rudder to counteract thrust. I know there is no right or down thrust on the firewall. Has anyone built this plane and not used the offset or would most recommend putting it in like the plans say? I have built the stab, vert fin, and rudder and will be posting pics. I will start on the main float so I can set up the attach points and the linkage for the water rudder. I will be doing the linkage like the Charlie Smith plans recommend which is down through the rear float pylon.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:20 PM
scale only 4 me

I have not built from those plans,
but I would not ever build in thrust correction on the Vertical fin, that will make it so the trim adjustment only works a one fixed speed.
I think you'll find the additional drag of the main float will counteract any up lift from the engine,, If anything maybe put in a touch of right engine thrust

I installed a servo in the float, right at the center attach point, the servo wire extension runs through the wing attach pocket to connect to the Rx.
This is a little work to install and one more step in the (at the lake) assembly, but works out well I think
Old 01-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Many of Brian Taylor's plans show fin offset. If the full size had it then Brian included it in his design. They all seem to fly just fine so I would say that it won't hurt you but my gut feeling is that it is not really necessary either.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:52 PM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: chistech
. I will be doing the linkage like the Charlie Smith plans recommend which is down through the rear float pylon.
Please post a picture of the plans that shows that location,, I'm curious to see how someone else did it
Old 01-24-2010, 07:41 PM
chistech

Here is the linkage setup for the float rudder. I am using a few less sizes of brass square tubing to get the job done. This system allows you to remove float and no servo to unplug. One square tubing goes inside another to link the whole thing together.

Name:	Lj21390.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1363606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82206.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1363607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32645.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1363608  
Old 01-24-2010, 08:30 PM
scale only 4 me

Well that's an interesting Idea, looks like it should work just fine
I don't think plugging in one more wire is that big a deal. But I did have a servo give up the ghost and have to do surgery once.

I find it curious how small the float attach points are and I guess there are only 2 only the rear location must just butt up?,
Mine may be way over kill, but it looks to be a much stronger, 3 strong pockets/tenons vs. 2
If you're at all curious how I did mine I could take pictures for you to compare

Good luck
Old 01-24-2010, 09:17 PM
chistech

Plugging in the servo really is not a big deal.I agree on the fact that it's just a plug in for the rear strut. I though about putting a 1/4 brass rod as a pin located in strut behind the bearing tube for the rudder linkage downshaft. I could put the float on then pass a pin thru to secure the rear strut to the fuse. The center strut and the front strut I'm pretty good with as far as how they're going to mount. I think I should be good. If you would not mind posting your pics that would be good. I might like your system better. The center strut is pretty stout and goes into a channel in the center of the wing. The front strut shows on the plans to be a kind of plug in also but I am using a different system that I can tighten with a thumb type screw on a nylon bolt up into the fuse chin.
Thanks, Ted
Old 01-24-2010, 10:32 PM
scale only 4 me

Ted,
I'll get the plane out tomorrow, post some pics, and explain how mine attaches

Another advantage (if I was to do it again) would be to move the water rudder servo all the way forward,
Even with a ys120 engine I had to add extra nose weight, If the servo had been in the front of the float, I may have had to add a lot less
Old 01-25-2010, 08:08 AM
scale only 4 me

I posted a bunch of pics to my photobucket acct. so not to clutter your thread. http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...view=slideshow

First off, forgive the condition of the plane, it took a up wind dead stick/stall and cork screwed into the lake from about 200', a few pics show the damage, the scraps you see on the wing tip is from when it hit the dock, 1' over and it would have been totaled, but as you can tell being it was built so stout it will fly again if I ever get around to repairing it. It's been sitting for about 5 years (long story).

The float struts are 1/4 ply, the majority of the lateral strength comes from the front and rear posts, they slide into to ply pockets tightly, the middle does also and you can see the one hole accessed through the belly pan where one 8-32 bolt holds the float from being able to slide out, again during assembly a servo wire extension is fed through that slot, then fed back in as the float is attached. simple water rudder control too.

It's not fancy, over complicated or as scale as it could be, but very strong. Again it may be overkill and I know the strength cost me in the plane being heavy, but anyone who has seen it preform will tell you, it can take some very rough water conditions and is awesome in flight. At lake Casitas in CA it often would be the only plane flying when the lake got blown out in the afternoons. The water handling (taxing) is awesome.

Anyway, back to your bird, I'm happy to see another one built, hope the extra info helps
Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 PM
chistech

Hey Joe,
Great pics. What size is yours? (Sorry, I went back and read your earlier posts and realize what size yours is) I have been busy fighting my town that wants to put some of the tallest wind turbines in the country (100m) just 860' from my neighbor's house, in the middle of a lot of houses, and about 1550 from mine. There will be two of them and they are huge! Not against wind power but there are some issues with units this big so close to homes. We will lose at least 20% in property values too. So a lot of these last two weeks has been devoted to a group of us trying to stop the machine called local government. OK, back to my bird. I think I can stay about 7-8.5 pounds with this one hopefully. The Saito 62 should also be good. The BT plans don't show flaps and not sure if I will put them in or not. The pond we have is large and I won't really need them but still, not sure it I will put them in. What do you think.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:43 PM
scale only 4 me

Even if you are able to get it in as light as you hope, I'd still build the flaps in. Flaps will make it take off and land much flatter and with a lot less airspeed. Less rotation angle will be needed for take off too, not a major issue, but that main float is long, it will only rotate so much.

A FYI,
I actually mixed in flaperons like the full scale plane had, fully deployed I could really slow it down, but the aileron control was way to slow and mushy,, kinda scary so I stop using it.

The OS2U talk is getting me pumped to fix mine,, Gotta finish the 80" extra first though, keep those picture updates coming
Old 01-27-2010, 09:41 PM
chistech

Here's some new pictures. Fuse done for now. Built fin, rudder, stab, and started elevators. Going to start tracing out the tip and main float bulkheads to start on them.

Name:	Tr49605.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1366087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34309.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	1366088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86839.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1366089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69560.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1366090  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:48 PM
chistech

Used the tip float templates from the Chris Smith plans, traced them, scanned them, than printed them out. Tack glued them down to the balsa and cut them out. Cut the upper and lower keels out of 1/8 ply. Started to assemble. Will trace the main float out tomorrow and start cutting them out.

Name:	Yw68076.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	1366096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32491.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	1366097  
Old 01-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Jocke63

Hi,

nice to see another Kingfisher being built!

The one i´m building right now is also from Brian Taylor´s plans. I bought the plans togeter with a glassfiber cowl and the canopy´s.

It will be a OS2U-1 (with wheels) because I didn´t know there were any plans of the floats to be found - until I read this thread....

Anyway, it´s built according to the plans except that I have put one servo inside the wing for each aileron and skipped the linkage to one single servo in the wing midsection. No flaps. The engine is a  .52 fourstroke and is inverted because I must make a ugly hole in the cowl for the rocker cover, and it´s better to have this downwards. The wing is finished with landing gear fitted and the fuselage is soon also complete. It takes some time because i have to make all the parts one by one...

Looking forward to follow this interesting thread!

Best regards,

J.Sund, Sweden  

Old 01-28-2010, 07:46 PM
chistech

J, feel free to post some pictures of yours if you like. I too am looking at inverting my Saito 62. My buddie is going to start making cowl molds out of blue foam on my wood lathe and will make one for my kingfisher and then he is going to glass it up for me. We are going to make the canopy plugs out of the same blue foam then glass them so they don't crush when vacuuming the film down over them. I'm still far away from that right now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.