RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Seaplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/)
-   -   OK guys, another "What do I have here" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/10975744-ok-guys-another-%22what-do-i-have-here%22.html)

ScottMcM 02-25-2012 04:44 PM

OK guys, another "What do I have here"

1 Attachment(s)
Picked this up today at a swap meet. Not sure why I bought it. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It does NOT land on water, and the landing gear is fixed. ....anyway, any ideas?

Walt Thyng 02-25-2012 05:28 PM

RE: OK guys, another

It looks like a Grumman wigeon or Mallard. No idea in the world who makes it.
walt

scale only 4 me 02-25-2012 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: ScottMcM

It does NOT land on water, and the landing gear is fixed.
Oh, that's easy to fix

flynfish44 02-25-2012 06:11 PM

Looks like a Grumman G44 Widgeon . Good luck with her, she's a pretty bird.

JohnBuckner 02-25-2012 07:49 PM

Oh yes definately a very pretty Widgeon. Its modeled with the nacelles of the original inverted six cylinder inline Rangers.

Some time later some civil Widgeons were modified with six cylinder opposed Lycomings.

John

JohnBuckner 02-25-2012 07:50 PM

lupy 02-25-2012 10:03 PM

very pretty, There must be some way of taking the gear lose, maybe removing support from the inside?? I would get the gear off somehow, glue the wheels up in the retracted position, swap out the wood props for plastic and throw it on the water. It's too nice to keep on land.

ScottMcM 02-26-2012 02:37 AM

Thanks guys, for the info, and for the ideas. I thought it was a pretty bird when I first saw it, but, then, I have always been fond of the old twin engined amphibious(sp) planes. I'm not yet sure which way I'll go yet...land or sea...but I will definitely keep you guys posted, and I'm sure I'll be asking for some help/advice along the way. Thanks again.

Scar 02-26-2012 06:22 PM

Check out G&P Sales
http://www.rcairplane.net/

See if the dimensions match the G&P kit, looks close.

Good luck,
Dave Olson

ScottMcM 02-26-2012 06:39 PM

http://www.kitcutters.com/RCM/RCMSea/RCMWidgeon.htm I think this is it. Wingspan matches.

cublover 02-27-2012 07:37 AM

ORIGINAL: ScottMcM

Picked this up today at a swap meet. Not sure why I bought it. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It does NOT land on water, and the landing gear is fixed. ....anyway, any ideas?

Its just an old POS airplane you DON'T need, just put it in a box, put a ton of packing in it so it don't put any more damage on it, and ship it directly to my house, I'll get rid of it for you!!! hahahahahaha

nitro wing 03-08-2012 09:43 PM

I will also pay the shipping charges, then a bit extra for the wrapping and box, and toss in a bank certified cheque for 35$ for the xtra hassle ;)[8D]

I think you will have fun with it

ScottMcM 03-09-2012 02:44 AM

Thanks guys....don't know what I'd do without you...;)

ScottMcM 04-28-2012 02:32 PM

Well, I replaced the two strokes with a couple of 4 stroke engines. Still can't decide whether to fly it off land or off water.... I'm kinda leaning towards water, since I live close to a rather large lake. I'm not quite sure how to go about waterproofing/sealing it, though. Any suggestions?

bikerbc 04-28-2012 03:57 PM

W hat is it covered with? Is that a fiberglass fuse? How watertight are the wheelwells. It sure looks like it was made for the water so my guess is that it wont be hard to convert... Keep your radio gear up off the bottom of the plane so that if it does get wet it wont be sitting in water...I bet the 4 stroke motors are going to sound great...Do you know the method of sealing the wing to the fuse with silicone and wax paper? Sorry I just looked back and saw that it is an all wood kit ...You might consider covering it with glass cloth and West System Epoxy..Then paint..Its a lot of work so I guess it would depend on how much you like the plane...Maybe fly it first to see how you like it ...It sure looks like it is worth putting some time into as long as it is not too heavy already...

ScottMcM 04-28-2012 04:55 PM

It is covered in monocote or something similar. The fuse is wood, also covered in monocote. The wheelwells seem tight. I am aware of the method of sealing the wings to the fuse. I think the biggest issues will be with where the tailwheel asssembly exits the fuse, and the door behind the wing. They will both have to be sealed up. Are monocote seams watertight?

bikerbc 04-29-2012 07:27 AM

I have found Monocoat seams to be fairly watertite..You need a good overlap , aprox 1/2 of an inch and it needs to be lapped from front over the back of course . Monocoat (or any covering) seams will come loose over time depending on how and what you clean your plane with..I somtimes seal loose seams with CA after cleaning them with alcohol and re ironing..I will also use some balsarite to help the covering stick good if it is a big loose section... Monocoat will wear out very quickly on the bottom of your plane if it comes in contact with the ground...I have some Hanger 9 floats covered with Ultra Coat and the laps are too short. Only about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch...I was flying it from a very sandy beach but it still scrached the bottom of the floats up..I Stripped them and covered them 3/4 oz cloth and West system Epoxy...I am not sure how much weight it added but it sure made a nice set of floats...You could maybe just do the bottom of your plane if you have problems...Could you maybe make some kind of water rudder where the tail wheel is? I guess the idea would be to keep it scale though...

ScottMcM 04-29-2012 01:19 PM

Instead of a water rudder, I had planned to mix each engine throttle to the rudder(on a switch, of course), so that if I give it right rudder, the left engine slightly speeds up over the right, and vice versa for left rudder. I think that should steer the plane fairly well. What do you think?

bikerbc 04-30-2012 03:23 AM

Yes I think the throttle idea is great. My buddy uses that on his CL215 and it works fantastic...