RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Seaplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/)
-   -   Discussion - Tony Nijhuis Sunderland (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/7755797-discussion-tony-nijhuis-sunderland.html)

siddus74 07-21-2008 03:12 PM

Discussion - Tony Nijhuis Sunderland

1 Attachment(s)
Guys have any of you seen the new offering from Tony Nijhuis? I was lucky enough to see it @ the recent LMA Cosfrod show. The eletric 72" Sunderland, I have purchased a short kit looks of good quality . . .

[link=http://www.modelflying.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/331]Article[/link]

Any takers on this one?

Fast Freddy 10-04-2008 05:42 PM

RE: Discussion - Tony Nijhuis Sunderland

Yup, have seen it on Tony's webpage and it states the model, short kit, plan will be available sometime in the winter of 2008. Will have to keep my eyes open for this one. Looks great!!

Fast Freddy 10-05-2008 03:12 AM

;)The other thing I like about this design is that it's electric and it's not gigantic. At 72" it's big, but not so much so that transportation and storage becomes an issue. I can hardly wait for this bird!

siddus74 10-05-2008 05:16 AM

I have both the plan pack and the wood pack, the plans are of excellent quality . . . I have also bought a SLEC building jig for this projetc as well.

One thing that is missing for me at the moment is motivation :eek: after building the Catalina and Canadair I am all built out for the time being. I keep getting the plans out and putting them away.

I think I would have to build a twin wing first with a couple of .25's and if that panned out build a second wing with 2 x .15's and 2x.10's

I think as an electric it would be fab, but have to charge up 4 batteries for a single flight, what a drama.

Fast Freddy 10-05-2008 11:03 AM

Siddus74,

My guess is you obtained the plans and kit from a show / event in the UK? Living in the US I'll probably have to wait for the RCM&E article and watch Tony's website for future updates. Lucky you!

An idea: On the battery issue, I would consider investing in 2-3 Lipo batteries that will give you 15-20 minute flights. Expensive yes, but much more reliable when running 4 electric motors compared to 4 glow engines.

Lake Flyer 10-05-2008 08:44 PM

Any idea what issue of RCM&E it will be in? Does Tony Nijhuis have a website and does anyone have the address for tony's website?

Wayne22 10-06-2008 10:11 AM

Too bad it is so small and not piston powered.... :D:D:D

Fast Freddy 10-06-2008 04:27 PM

Tony's website: www.tonynijhuisdesigns.co.uk/

RCM&E website: www.modelflying.co.uk/ Fantastic magazine, a bit pricey at $60/year in the states, but a free plan every month!

No indication as to what issue the Sunderland will be posted in or when plans, kits and/or parts will become available.

Keep checking and stay tuned!

ssmiff 10-08-2008 01:29 PM

Why not send an e-mail to '[email protected]' as they are the ones producing the kit.It was there marquee that the original picture was taken in I saw it at the UK nationals but bought a schneider S6B planpack instead.

siddus74 10-22-2008 03:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got some motivation to build my slec jig and start my Sunderland. A mate came around and we built the basic structure of the hull (thanks Simon). The lite ply stuff is of relatively poor quality and none of the formers were straight which made the hull alignment really difficult, I wished I had only purchased the plans and woodpack now not the laser cut stuff. I always find light ply dodgy.

7 hours work gives only small reward!

Fast Freddy 10-22-2008 06:19 AM

Looks good so far! Hopefully they'll switch to a better grade plywood. Are you planning on fiberglassing the entire airplane or just the fuselage? Looking forward to the rest of your build!

siddus74 10-22-2008 12:55 PM

Freddy,

After the Cat and the Canadair I am definately going to glass and spray the entire hull (solartex the wings though I think) the thing is the plan calls for 3/16 balsa sheeting on the sides which is rediculously thick, I have used 1/8 but still think that is was a little over the top. Some of the rear curves were a pain to achieve even in 1/8th with out splitting, and wetting is a pain with the risk of warping.

The 4oz cloth and the wing skinning epoxy is so easy to put on with the small sponge rollers from fibretech and for such a small weight penalty the finish, logivity, additional strenght, puncture resistance and sound water proofing makes it in my eyes a no brainer. Film and water dont mix in my experoence, after a season the model looks tatty and when the film lifts you are inevitably looking at a recover [&o]

siddus74 10-24-2008 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not managed to do a lot today - car had to go to the garage (bang goes the swap meet funds)

I braced the front as I saw fit and put 1/8 doublers against the 1/8 light play keel as it gives more suface to attach the planking too - I found this helped as I did this to the Canadair after the Cat hull planking was a nightmare (more glue on hands than on wood, planking springing off as well)

Rcpilot 10-24-2008 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

Too bad it is so small and not piston powered.... :D:D:D
My sentiments exactly.

Would be REALLY cool with 100" span and 60 - .75 size engines.

Fast Freddy 10-25-2008 06:04 AM

Siddus74

Planking with 3/16"? I bet that's a mistake, 3/32" should be plenty. How about 3/32" plywood, very strong! Fiberglass the entire hull with either epoxy or water based polyurethane and it should be pretty watertight. I used poly u on my last project, worked well, applied 1 coat every 3-4 hours for a total of 3 coats. West Marine epoxy seems harder though. Nice build so far!

You mentioned you built a Canadair and a Catalina. Were these kits? and if so, could you please list contact information. I'm always looking for flying boat designs / kits as 90% of my flying is off of water.

simhatus 10-25-2008 06:06 AM

Hi

I helped siddus74 put the fuslage together, as afore mentioned the formers where warped and it was all a sloppy fit also some of the slots for the keel wern't even in the middle.

should have used them as a guide to draw up a plan and make some acurate balsa ones, then used them on bonfire night to start the bonfire.

Simon

siddus74 10-25-2008 06:09 AM

The Catalina PBY2 was built from the RCM plan by Budd Chappel; the build log is on here as is the uild log for the R T Models Canadair which was a kit. have a search in this forum your find many pitures etc.

Fast Freddy 10-25-2008 06:24 AM

Thanks!

simhatus 10-25-2008 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

hi

have now assisted in the assembly of the wing

The wood quality is just as hopeless as the fuslage.

also why is the last rib w18 flat bottomed when the rest are semi symetrical? , this would have resulted in built in washin.

we replaced the rather short dihedral brace (didn't even go past the first rib) with a much longer 1/16th ply one.

We also replaced the false leading edge and actual leading edge with a conventional single leading edge.

we now have the unlikely task of modifying a second wing to match overall unchuffed with the whole design.

Simon

siddus74 11-04-2008 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Done some more to the wing, kinda making it up as I go. The plan does not show a trailing edge of any description just full length ribs - I have put a small trailing edge on now, at least I will have some thing to glue the sheeting to now!. I dont get why people try and re-invent the wing . . .

Any way the wood is of the usual poor quality (shame on you SLEC) and much work has been done to ensure we at least end up with a wing that has no wash in.

Notice the inboard ribs have been out set around the engine nacel area, this is to take a 4oz tank - no brushless here!

siddus74 11-06-2008 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bored with the wings so decided to have ago at planking the hull. The plan said to use 1/8 or 3mm - decided to give them the benifit of the doubt, by the time I got to the front things were getting difficult - I knew I should have done it with 3/32.

Do they ever build from there own plans?

With the front half done and alot of cyano on my fingers the back half was completed in half the time and have the effort using 3/32, plenty strong enough.

chinehamgeorge 11-08-2008 10:51 AM

Scotty

You're gonna spoil it by putting those big and ugly IC things in it, should have gone brushless, you could have got away with a nice big battery in the middle, could have done you a deal

Cheers n beers
George
www.4-Max.co.uk

siddus74 11-12-2008 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Managd to fine a couple of hours tonight, the wing tips have been bugging me due to the plan calling for blocks being glued on the end then carved and sanded, wasnt to keen on carring pointless weight and then trying to get them the same shape and curvature - opted for an improvised built up version (let the solartex make the shape then)

Not to hard just took a little thought . . . Now I can get on with some thing interesting like the engine nacels.

siddus74 11-13-2008 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got another couple of hours in this evening . . . I cut the original firewall supports about to bring the firewall position back to the LE - this inturn ensures the prop driver is in the same position as if I had opted for a brushelss setup. Good thing was the original round light ply firewalls could be used on top of a proper 1/8 ply firewall so to keep the roundness in the nacels.

Used the pillar drill chuck to press the blind nuts into the ply, nice and square ;)

Committed now with epoxy, IC it is then.

siddus74 11-14-2008 03:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Lake Flyer

Any idea what issue of RCM&E it will be in? Does Tony Nijhuis have a website and does anyone have the address for tony's website?
I have just had ane email that confirms that the magazine article is in the Dec / Jan 2008 issue of RCME

[link=http://www.modelflying.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/599/v/1/?source=weeklyemail&attr=news1]http://www.modelflying.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/599/v/1/?source=weeklyemail&attr=news1[/link]