RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Seaplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/)
-   -   Canadair CL-215 from M.A.N. plans (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/818808-canadair-cl-215-m-n-plans.html)

ramcfarland 05-30-2003 11:27 PM

Canadair CL-215 from M.A.N. plans

Hello,
Hope this might creat some interest I have built but never flown a Twin engine Canadair CL-215 amphibian its all balsa and plwood construction built from the 1980s Model Airplane News construction article has an 80" wing span covered and perfectly finished in K&B Super poxie in scale colors of the Canadian Forestry Service It is fitted for either the O.S.25 or 32 FX
E-mail me for more details :)

FLYING MOUNTIE 05-31-2003 12:15 AM

Don't really know what you 're after here. The CL-215 is a great water bird. You may be a little light on the engine size (at least here it would be) a nice set of 40's or even 45's would be the way I would go. (just my opinion) I hope to build one soon as well - I'm waiting for another club member to finish his first though. Good luck with the maiden. Have you flown water before? What do you fly? If you have a photo it would be nice to see her. (the plane not your wife/girlfriend)LOL.

ramcfarland 05-31-2003 10:36 PM

Hello FLYING MOUNTIE

No- I have never flown off water before; my brother plans to take me out on his boat and has showed me some nice secluded sites between the Pataxent river and Chesapeake bay ,which would be ideal for a successful(I hope) maiden flight next month on a calm day. I currently fly aerobatic pattern starting into IMAC with a Dave Patrick Ultimate and an O.S. 160 for power recently been flying a P-47 which appears in the wwwrcwarbirds fighter gallery in the P-47 section. I think the Canadair CL-215 will add to the R/C fun.

Thanks for responding-
I was thinking Thunder tiger 40 Pros for power . I will add you to my e-mail address book . Must be nice in Canada ;years back our family leaving Anchorage drove through the Canadian section of the Al can Hwy.en route to my dad's new posting in Portsmouth New Hampshire in the late 50s .

I will get some digitals pictures of the Canadair of it as soon as I can decide on a camera.

FLYING MOUNTIE 06-01-2003 01:13 AM

I'll look forward to seeing the pics. I bet she's a nice looking bird. If you're fliying imac you should have no problem with the CL-215 but if it's ok I'll offer some advice as I fly a lot on the water. Your choice of 40's I feel is a good choice - how much does it weigh? Make sure you have both engines reliable. If one quits you may have to full opposite rudder to keep her flying straight. On your first flight make sure you have a long run and dont't horse it out as this is a common mistake by newbie water flyers. Let her come out on it's own and have enough room to land again if need be right away. If your transmitter can make the throttle changes allowing the inside engine on the appropriate slow this will also help but is not crucial (speling?) this also helps on the water taxing. Good luck and keep her floating.

FLYING MOUNTIE 06-01-2003 01:17 AM

My spelling is getting bad I must be tired. Anyway if you have anything I can help you with let me know. Oh by the way it is great her in Canada we went to the lake and flew all day today and had a great time. In regards to the engine slow I was talking about If it is'nt clear let me know and I'll try ro explain better. Thanks.

FLYING MOUNTIE 06-01-2003 01:39 AM

You probley already know this but just for safety sake - Do not use wooden props on water. FYI. Do you have anyone there that flies on water as I'm sure they would be more than willing to help. The nice part about it is there's a big landing strip. Be sure to have a spotter for boats etc. We get some here that love to come in close to watch and sometimes we have to get them to move back around the point.

JimCasey 06-01-2003 12:04 PM

Richard,

You said you plan to fly from Chesapeake Bay/Pax River. This implies Salt Water, or at least brackish.

Normally I am somewhat lax about waterproofing my planes, but salt water is one of the most corrosive agents available.

Flying boats, in my experience, tend to ingest a lot of water around the wing saddle, so be sure to do the saran wrap and silicone sealer trick there.

Also, spray the electronics(at least the connectors) and the outside of the engine(s)with "Corrosion-X". Also pushrods, clevises, control horn screws, engine mount screws, anything that would rust. Corrosion-X goes on something like WD-40, but forms an corrosion-inhibited coating on the metal parts. Available at electronics supply houses or marine dealerships. Direct website:http://www.corrosionx.com
Or, if you are wealthy, just replace the engines and electronics after every flying session.

Electronics in a plastic bag is an idea, but it's hard to seal the wire bundle and if any water gets in it will stay there.

Don't mount your electronics either on the bottom of the hull, or touching the top of the hull. This way they stay drier if you get some water inside, even if you go inverted.

FLYING MOUNTIE 06-01-2003 12:46 PM

Good point JimCasey. I did'nt realize it was salt water there.

ramcfarland 06-01-2003 12:57 PM

Thanks to you both all this is most helpful and I will apply it all . Currently near the glassing stage on a giant scale P-47 and I'm about ready to "clear the bench,"and start getting the Canadair ready for flight I will get some pictures soon .If per chance some one out there in R/C Universe has pictures of #35 as flown by the Canadian Forestry service I'd certainly appreciate it!

Closterman 06-02-2003 03:01 PM

Photopack

Just for you info, if you want to add some scale details to you CL-215, I have make a photopack for the 215 and 415. Take a look to my website for more info (www.mraerodesign.com)

Doc 215 08-14-2005 06:49 PM

RE: Canadair CL-215 from M.A.N. plans

just a quick note re: the cl-215... I have spend a lot of hours on the river on floats with various models, the last ones being a 84" unionville Norseman powered by a saito65 and a unionville 96" Dehav Beaver powered by an OS 91. I am also about 1/2 way thru scratch building a 96" Cl-215 enlarged from Steve Gray plans (Model Airplane News) and to be powered by 2 Saito 65's. By now you probably have figured out that I love 4 stroke engines.. yes I do!! I figure this will be somewhere in the vicinity of 13-15 lbs. max. I'm new to twins, but have the urge to stay on water, however it will be tested on land. I'm using a futaba 9cap. and will use single servos for flaps, ailerons, ele,rudder etc. this will have the same setup as I had with the big beaver which came in about 12-14 lbs. I will prob use twin servos for the throttles as they can be mixed as most twins don't run equal thru all power ranges.
Any help or comments would be appreciated. One is never to old to learn!!!
Doc

ramcfarland 08-15-2005 10:44 AM

Hi Doc-

Thats terrific The CL-215 should really scale out nice.(I sold mine, wanting something "larger so where is MY enlarged plans!"
So are you going to do the radial or later turbo prop??

Just saw a full scale CL-215,not sure which model, they were over and away from the drop zone in an instant it seemed on the news...:( dousing a fire in the vicinity of the tragic crash yesterday-

FLYING MOUNTIE 08-15-2005 12:42 PM

Just a note on the CL-215 MAN plans - mine was enlarged to 7' wingspan and flies grear - even on one engine. I still have'nt tried the pick up and drop system but will let you know when I do. one modification I did do was an accessable cabin to put batteries etc. up front. I also have the switch hidden from moisture and made a slide side window to access for switching and charging. Takes a while to get the feel of her on the water but flies like a trainer. Good Luck!

Doc 215 08-15-2005 06:49 PM

Hi Guys, I'm about halfway done, but moved in the last 6 months and have a tonne of hanger rash to contend with and redo !@#@#$#$%#$!. anyway, have a hatch and have lots of space to work in. Some years ago ( I have the R/C Modeler Mag) there was an article re: a 215 called a "mictuator" which was about 72" and had a water dump. Not too bad. Was a slide fitting over a bunch of holes , but it worked. I will have to drill a hole in the front for the main gear, then put in a plug for water flying ( scale retracts are just a little bit too pricey at the mo. I am going to join the wings with an ACE Metal tube inside a stiff (seems like cardboard) phenolitic? tube. the tube is about 20 inches. Don't know yet whether or not to join the wings into a single unit, or have them seperate with a dowel on each side on the front, and a bolt on each side at the back. As I said before, I'm open to all suggestions. It makes for one awfully big single with tho........
Richare, I'm going radial... I'm a firm believer that REAL AIRPLANES have round engines, leak oil and make a lot of smoke and noise!
Just a bit of curiosity Flying Mountie, how did you handle the differential in Throttles for your 215??
Doc
ps.. are you a Mountie flying Full Scale also???
Good buddy of mine ( Peter Kember) was in charge of RCMP Air Services as a Superintendent untill he retired about 7 yrs ago.. was a flying fool for models also.

FLYING MOUNTIE 08-15-2005 07:24 PM

Hi Doc 1 , no I am not a flyer but am an Aux RCMP since'92 E-div trained. I made my wing one piece as room is not an issue with me I have an 8' box (wing is 7') this allowed me to make one piece spars so no joints to ever fail. I missed what wingspan etc you are making yours. If it's to plans it should only be around six feet if memory serves. I have single servos for the throttle mounted in the nacelles and can operate together or split by way of transmitter switch and run one on stick and the other on a dial. This was nice for turning on the water but if it was to windy or if an engine failed requied the use of a water rudder which i made from clear lexan so it is not so obvious. I also had to put a "duck bill" of sorts on the front around the splash guards to eliminate water running over the nose and into the engines. One other mod was to shorten the sponsons and make the angle steeper to eliminate chance of drag on take off. As I mentioned earlier the take off is the hard part it's kinda like balancing on a needle with no wind however about 30% flaps hel if there is no wind. Other than that it's a great bird and looks so real up there it's a crowd pleaser. Enjoy!

FLYING MOUNTIE 08-15-2005 07:28 PM

Doc 1, to answer the differencial throttle question I did not put any in for flight as it does not need it. the engines are close enough together you will not notice it. Fly it and you'll see what I mean. It flies as if it has one engine.

Doc 215 08-15-2005 07:46 PM

Thanx for the info Mountie.. mucho appreciated. My WS is going to be 96" and as you did, the one piece does make sense. I have a Forrester and with the back seat down, it will fit in the middle or over the front seat if no wife or buddy along. but in a pinch, it may have to be in two pieces.. but with the alum tubing, shouldn't be a problem... will see as work progresses.
I would like to have the same setup as I had with the 96" UnionVille Beaver. It was a great flyer, and I had it done up in RCMP colours with a RCMP motorcycle helmet decal for the fuse side. On a slow flyby, it looked supurb. Have a load of vhs footage. It used an OS91 surpass, and handled like a kittycat on the water with twin rudders.
my 215 has NO dihedral, and also has a slightly undercambered wing front as full scale, so hopefully it should have lots of lift and with the 2 saito 65's FS, should have adaquate power. I guess I will use one of the side trims for the 2nd throttle to have them sync, and will split mix as you said for water handling a la full scale.
Will put up some pix when done. But will be a winter project to get it finished

Doc

FLYING MOUNTIE 08-15-2005 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sounds great. I look forward to seeeing her done. I tried to upload a pic of mine in flight so hopefully I got the right one.

Doc 215 08-15-2005 08:38 PM

How Sweet it is!!!!!!!!!!... looks great. hope mine turns out the same.

I saw the humongous 30kg+ 215 video yesterday... geeeeeeeeezzzz what a monster..
the only prob I have with that model, is that it seems to fly like a rocket?? whatever happened to Low and Slow???
Doc

FLYING MOUNTIE 08-18-2005 10:01 AM

Thanks Doc 1 , I'm sure your's will look as good if not better. Have fun!;)

acrojack202 08-22-2005 12:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd add one more CL-215. This one's from a kit from G&P Sales. 81" span, 13.5 lbs., powered by two Saito 82's. Way overpowered, could have done with Saito 65's. First flights today - looks, sounds and flies great. Was surprised at high landing speed but I guess that's to be expected at 35 oz/sq ft wing loading. This is my first twin; worth all the work.

Doc 215 08-22-2005 08:59 AM

Hi Acro,,,, lovely looking bird!!!... I often thought about GP's 215, but in the end, decided (rightly or wrongly ) to scratch and enlarge from the M.A.N. plans of about 198? plus?
As I mentioned it will probably run about 15 lbs, and I wil be using 2 Saito 65's with hopefully will be enough?
Did you have a one or 2 piece wing??
Doc

Wayne22 08-22-2005 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
FLYINGMOUNTIE, are you going to make it over to Shuswap in Sept? There is usually at least two 215/415's there, plus dozens of other scale flat/seaplanes. It is a water junkies dream.......

acrojack202 08-22-2005 09:49 AM

Doc 1,

Based on the performance of my plane, the 65's should be just right. The lake I fly from is at 6000' elevation and with temps in the high 80's or low 90's, I was afraid it wouldn't get off the water, hence the 82's. Not to worry; its airborne in 20 ft with less than half throttle. About 1/4 throttle or so for a scale takeoff. Oh well, better too much than too little there. Flies realistically about two clicks off idle. If I had a pair of 65's, I'd change them out. But I don't.

My wing is one-piece. Balsa sheeted foam, covered with 3/4 oz glass cloth and painted with PPG basecoat/clearcoat. Makes transport cumbersome but I like the structural integrity.

Jack

Doc 215 08-22-2005 10:11 AM

Thanx for the Info Jack,
My wing is 96" and going the "one piece" route by the looks of it. much simpler.
Doc