Notices
SimJet Turbine Direct Support Direct support for SimJet Turbines provided here.

Simjet 1200

Old 07-28-2006, 12:43 PM
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Simjet 1200

Hello Simjet,

My tubrine is back from service and is runnig great. Have a couple of questions:

1. Me and a friend have been testing it on the bench. We removed the Fuel Solenoid and the engine appears to run just as good without it, and shuts down without a problem.
Is there anything wrong if we leave the fuel solenoid out?

2. During bench runs, I hooked up an 11.1 3s LiPo to the charging jack of the ECU (because at the time I didn't have the reuqired plug). The engine blew off 2~3 glow plugs. Is this because the charging jack does not regulate voltage or could there be something else wrong?

3.My engine has very long harnesses all over, and makes cable routing rather difficult. Is splicing the cables OK to shorten the harness length?

4.On page 3 of the ECU, there is an RPM setting (currently set as Noemal). How much power do I gain if I switch to High? Will the EGT increase enough to cause damage on the long run?

Thank you,

David
Old 07-29-2006, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Simjet 1200

Hi David

Glad to hear you received it back and it's running well.

PLease see the responses following each questions.

1. Me and a friend have been testing it on the bench. We removed the Fuel Solenoid and the engine appears to run just as good without it, and shuts down without a problem.
Is there anything wrong if we leave the fuel solenoid out?

Yes. If you remove the solenoid, you will be in violation of AMA regulations requiring an automatic or remote fuel cutoff. The fuel solenoid must be installed.

2. During bench runs, I hooked up an 11.1 3s LiPo to the charging jack of the ECU (because at the time I didn't have the reuqired plug). The engine blew off 2~3 glow plugs. Is this because the charging jack does not regulate voltage or could there be something else wrong?

It's likely that the ecu couldn't draw enough current through the charging jack cables. The ecu can draw up to 20A peak during the starting sequence. The higher resistance would have required a higher voltage to get the same current and that is probably what caused the ecu to blow the plugs. Please get the proper battery connector. We have them in stock in our shop if you need one.

3.My engine has very long harnesses all over, and makes cable routing rather difficult. Is splicing the cables OK to shorten the harness length?

You can splice the cables if you wish, just ensure that you solder the correct wires together. I would suggest that you bundle the cables instead. This will allow you to install the engine in a larger aircraft without having to lengthen any of the cables. By bundling, I mean double the wire up over a 5 or 6 inch distance so that it is not too bulky.

4.On page 3 of the ECU, there is an RPM setting (currently set as Noemal). How much power do I gain if I switch to High? Will the EGT increase enough to cause damage on the long run?

The High setting will give you between 3/4 and 1 pound of additional thrust depending on the age of your engine. The setting change the full throttle rpm limits and the max thrust is dependent upon the engine itself. The High setting will still be within the design limits of the engine and will not have any additional adverse affect on the engines longevity.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and enjoy your 1200.

Sincerely,
Ed

Old 07-31-2006, 09:09 AM
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Simjet 1200

Thank you Ed.