Community
Search
Notices
SimJet Turbine Direct Support Direct support for SimJet Turbines provided here.

AE 2300 Heat Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 04:26 AM
tomcatkaro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AE 2300 Heat Problem

The problem as follows: As the engine starts to run, temperature starts to increase gradually even at low RPMs ( ex. 25000 RPM 700 C) . When i increase the gas, temperature reaches over 800 C at 40000 RPM, even i can see 900 C and the engine stops. I have checked the combustor chamber and oil line in case of fuel&oil leak but there is no problem. Thought might be the impeller, since it can not suck enough air? I can not find the cause of the problem. Wait for your suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: AE 2300 Heat Problem

tomcatkaro,

This may be caused by several conditions. I have listed these in the order of importance / probability:

1. Excessive fuel input into the engine during ramp - improper acceleration delay setting (if using GASPAR ECU). Engine gets to much fuel to quickly before it can ramp up speed resulting in high exhaust temps. Normal exhaust temp at Idle should be approx. 590 > 650C. Your specified temp of 700C at 25,000 is acceptable at engine idle.
2. Propane is NOT shutting off after engine reaches idle. This will cause increase in exhaust temps when mixed with fuel.
3. Defective thermocouple or Thermocouple calibration in ECU.
4. Rotating component rubbing / bad bearing or bearings.
5. Improper installation / position of the tailpipe to the exhaust nozzle. End of nozzle shall be FLUSH to no more than 3/8" or 10mm inside of the tialpipe inlet opening.
6. Too small of an tailpipe or Air Inlet opening creating to much tailpipe backpressure / increased temps.

If you continue to have issues after checking the above, contact SIMJET- Denmark at www.Simjet.com

Old 01-16-2007, 09:16 PM
rcav8tr

HI Tomcatkaro

Are you getting a flame out the exhaust nozzle of the engine?

Ed
Old 01-17-2007, 01:31 AM
tomcatkaro

Hi Ed,

yes, i am getting flame out, and the engine runs very unstable, RPM flactuates very much. As i said, there is no problem with the combustion chamber (no leak, crack, etc.)
Old 01-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Vampire

tomcatkero,

If this is a yellow flame, you have excessive fuel delivery assuming that all other aspects of the engine are functioning correctly.

If you have a GASPAR FADEC, increase the accelaeration delay or if this is taking place during the start ramp, RAISE the value of the "pump start ramp" this will put LESS fuel into the engine over a longer period of time.

IF this flame is appearing only during start -ramp - you can select Auto Start+0 as this is a LESS agressive start mode.

Please confirm that the type of ECU you have and how much time does the engine have on it before this problem developed.

Brg.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:44 AM
tomcatkaro

thanks for the comments,

yesterday I performed another run, during fuel ramp I got blue and great flame out, and during inspection, the combustion chamber pipes (both propane and kerosene) were broken at arc points, this happened in app. 30 seconds, So interesting.Engine was full of kerosene. But I realized that combustion chamber pipes are coming bent, irregular (not straight) .

-Tried the fuel ramp, acceleration delay comments but no change.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Vampire

tomcatkero,

If your "pipes" are in fact broken, this is why you are getting excessive fuel in the combustion section and overtemp of the exhaust.

Can you send pictures of what you describe as "Broken at ARC points" and "combustion chamber pipes are coming bent, irregular (not straight) "

I need to fully understand what it is you are seeing.

Brg.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 PM
rcav8tr

Hi Tomcatkaro

Ok, Can you tell me how big the gap is between the edge of the compressor blades and the aluminum inlet housing. It should be no more than the thickness of a piece of paper. If it is more that that, you are probably not getting enough air into the turbine to run it proprely at the higher rpm.

Ed