Notices
SimJet Turbine Direct Support Direct support for SimJet Turbines provided here.

2300 not starting

Old 04-22-2008, 11:41 PM
shaunrbell
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2300 not starting

Well, it starts maybe every second or third attempt. I've got propane ignition but it just shuts down with a solid red light. I did notice that when it does start, it idles a little funny. I was noticing the idle wasn't very steady, which in itself isn't that odd. What was strange is the rpm display on the remote terminal would blank out followed by an audible drop in rpms followed by the display coming back online. It would display maybe 29K instead of 33K and then pick back up to 33K. Think it could be an rpm sensor problem?

Thanks
Shaun Bell
Old 04-23-2008, 11:00 PM
shaunrbell

Default RE: 2300 not starting

Guess I'm just talking to myself lol! Well, I pulled it out of the jet to take a look. The 2300 I had before had the RPM sensor mounted lower. This one has two stand offs putting a fair bit higher than the opening of the compressor. I'm thinking maybe it's too high and isn't getting a solid signal from the magnet. BTW, where is the magnet located? Any ideas?

Thanks
Shaun
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26898.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	935764  
Old 04-24-2008, 05:36 AM
WrenTurbines

Is this a Gaspar Espiell FADEC ECU or the original Simjet one? I can't speak for the Simjet one, but we use the Espiell and the rpm sensor would not be affected by being mounted higher, it will work almost anywhere on the front of the engine.

The Espiell FADEC uses a magnet in the compressor nut.

Sara Parish
Wren Turbines
Old 04-24-2008, 09:56 AM
shaunrbell

ORIGINAL: WrenTurbines

Is this a Gaspar Espiell FADEC ECU or the original Simjet one? I can't speak for the Simjet one, but we use the Espiell and the rpm sensor would not be affected by being mounted higher, it will work almost anywhere on the front of the engine.

The Espiell FADEC uses a magnet in the compressor nut.

Sara Parish
Wren Turbines
It's the original Simjet unit.

Shaun
Old 04-24-2008, 02:36 PM
shaunrbell

Does anyone know which wires are for the rpm sensor? I was thinking maybe it's the harness.... If not, I read someplace that you may need to de magnetize the pickup. Does anyone know how that's done?

Thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

On the older Simjet engines, the RPM sensor can become magnetized. You have to degause (not sure of the spelling) but it involves passing a magnet over the RPM sensor. This is done in a motion that you drag the magnet across the sensor.

If the propane has ignited and the engine shuts down you may be correct that the rpm is changing or it is not reaching a high enough temp to start the kero pump.

Another thing it could be is that the pump is sticking at slow speed. There used to be a procedure where you ran the pump submerged in water at 1 volt to clean the brushes.

These are a few things to try.

Give it a try...
Old 05-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The older engines with the SIMJET 2002 D2 ECU have the magnets in the compressor.

It appears that you are not getting transition to kerosen.

This can be caused by a fuel solenoid failure, T/C failure, sticking or faulty pump, etc.

Give me a call and we can discuss. 610-746-9444

regards,