Community
Search
Notices
SimJet Turbine Direct Support Direct support for SimJet Turbines provided here.

Simjet 3000AES thrust issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 09:31 PM
BirdofpraY
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simjet 3000AES thrust issue

Ok, Keven/Ed you told me to recheck my settings in my IRD, and it does say set to HIGH. I put it on my digital thrust stand and I am getting 24.6 lbs of thrust at 31o Cel. I tryed it a gain later in the evening when it was 21o cel. and I was getting 24.10 lbs out of it. Now at Florida jets it said 29.5 lbs on your stand and that was before I set the settings to low to fly in my Hotspot. Now I am building a much bigger jet I need it to be 29.5 lbs, what I paid for. In my opinion it looks like the IRT does not set the ECU right and because there is lack of information in the ECU it makes it really difficult to debug this issue. please send me a new ECU or a IRT that works with my ECU properly 3.3.5 is the version.

Here are the pictures of the thrust level at high with the IRT next to it. Please advise......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	94101_6261.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	54031  
Old 07-15-2003, 09:32 PM
BirdofpraY

pic 2 of settings

Name:	94102_6261.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	54032  
Old 07-15-2003, 10:16 PM
rcav8tr

Default 3000 Thrust Issue

Hi Dave

As discussed on the phone, I believe that there is either an issue with the engine itself or with your fuel pump. The temperature display for the indicated rpm is also out. Please send the engine in and we will have a look at it. Since it is under warranty, any required repairs will be covered and will be preforemd here in our facility.

Please ensure that you send the entire engine, with the IRT, so that we can test the entire set up.

Sincerely,
Ed
Old 07-16-2003, 01:37 PM
BirdofpraY

ok, I am just going to post here as I get faster respone here.

I don't want to ship a perfectly good engine back as this is a great cost in shipping, it would be alot easyer and less expensive to ship just a ECU, PUMP, IRT and temp probe versus the whole thing. As I can see the pump works fine looks like its getting proper voltage. there are no air bubbles, there is no hesitation in throttle transitions so it looks like the combonation between the IRT and ECU not properly programming the ECU. This engine is Brandnew and has very littler run time and in warrenty.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-16-2003, 02:10 PM
rcav8tr

Default Warranty Service

Hi David

We no longer send out ECU's to rectify issues. Nor will we release the software that we use to update the ECUs. There is also no guarantee that changing the ecu will resolve either the thrust issue or the temperature display issue.

Our warranty service policy is no different than any other manufacturer. The customer pays for shipping to us and we pay for return shipping back to the customer.

Please forward the engine to us and we will resolve the issues that you have and return the engine to you as quickly as possible.

Sincerely,
Ed Miedzybrocki
Old 07-16-2003, 02:34 PM
BirdofpraY

Ed!!!! This is not rocket science. Have Kevin call me I prefer to talk to him since he knows more about theses engines. I am not stupit, is every answer just send it back let us fix it... last time I sent a simjet engine back I did not get it back for months and you guys look like you have droped off the responce level that you use to have when you took over...

PS. I found the end of the Temp probe sticking out of the hole so that looks like the reason for false temp reading.

Dave
Old 07-16-2003, 03:07 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ed, did my wheel stuff go out yet?

Sean Reitmeyer
Old 07-16-2003, 03:17 PM
rcav8tr

Hi David

I will talk with him when he returns.

Ed

Originally posted by BirdofpraY
Ed!!!! This is not rocket science. Have Kevin call me I prefer to talk to him since he knows more about theses engines. I am not stupit, is every answer just send it back let us fix it... last time I sent a simjet engine back I did not get it back for months and you guys look like you have droped off the responce level that you use to have when you took over...

PS. I found the end of the Temp probe sticking out of the hole so that looks like the reason for false temp reading.

Dave
Old 07-16-2003, 06:31 PM
BirdofpraY

Its on its way, you should have it by monday. Check the temp probe maybe it is faulty too..

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-23-2003, 01:57 PM
rcav8tr

Hi David

We have received your engine. Please check your Yahoo or PM box for an e-mail regarding what we found when we unpacked it. Please advise as soon as possible.

Ed
Old 07-23-2003, 02:37 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ed, question came up down here in Austin, can we get the same 3" wheels and brakes you sold me for the 3/8" strut, can we get those for the 1/2" strut? If so, please let me know by email how much for two sets.

Thanks,

Sean
Old 07-30-2003, 02:50 PM
KevinM

For the benefit of any lurkers...

This 3000 was received and immediately inspected. The thermocouple was found to be damaged due to physical stress (not wear) and had to be replaced before any testing could take place. Once put on the stand, we found no lack in thrust based on factory specs, and that the turbine was putting out exactly the same thrust as what it was before the customer took delivery. Proper operation of the IRDT was also verified, including derating then turning back up the maximum thrust of the turbine, which also functionned exactly as advertised.

Although the customer still disputes the thrust output based on his measurements, we can only rely on our own measurement equipment. (Incidentally, our measurements concurr with the measurements taken by SimJet Denmark before we received the turbine.)
Old 08-01-2003, 01:58 PM
BirdofpraY

Ok, I got it back today and it has only gotten worse than before, Kevin you stated that you two tested it and it was putting out to your specs, well please enlighten me what your specs are. I have tested again and its only putting out 18 lbs now and look at the RPM's at full throttle 110,000 it was putting out 124,000 before I sent it to you, and the out side temp is a lot cooler(79o F) than before as you can see in the pictures. Do you have any suggestions how we are going to fix this?

When I first got the engine it was putting out 28.8 lbs on my scale now it doest even come close. I feel there is a problem in the ECU and the IRDT, But there is no way to be sure what the problem is due to lack of information I can get from the ECU. I need this to be putting out at least 28 lbs.

Dave

PS I will test it once more tonight when it is alot cooler.

Name:	98179_6261.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	54033  
Old 08-01-2003, 02:01 PM
BirdofpraY

Test at idle. This just shows you my scale is fairly accurated at idle. This is the range of idle the engine should put out.

Name:	98181_6261.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	54034  
Old 08-01-2003, 02:02 PM
BirdofpraY

temp. at the time of testing.

Name:	98182_6261.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	54035  
Old 08-01-2003, 02:42 PM
BirdofpraY

yea I have changed the controller to High and this what it was producing. There is only Low, Med, and High settings. looks to me like the IRT is not setting the settings in the ECU. I too hope this can be resolved.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:46 PM
BirdofpraY

oh, also I have made sure I get full travel of throttle in my radio by adjusting my end points, idle is set to 54% (this is to get the yellow light) and full throttle is set to 140%
Old 08-01-2003, 04:49 PM
BirdofpraY

Kevin / Ed, look at the pictures. Looks like maybe this is a pump problem, the IRT stated 3.97 volts at full throttle with the 24lb and the picture with 18lbs states 5.5 volts maybe the pump is not performing properly! both engine runs in the pictures are set to HIGH at the ECU. But then again why is the voltage differ being HIGH settings?

Dave
Old 08-04-2003, 09:12 PM
KevinM

Finally something that I can work with...

This looks like a classic pump issue. Please drop your pump in the mail by trackable means and send me the tracking number. I'll send you a new one.

A note on Flight Works pumps- We have seen a number of pumps exhibit a tightening up over time. In some cases it's a gradual thing, others (and I have to suspect your falls into this category) will happen very suddenly. We have been in contact with FlightWorks and have new pumps which have been redesigned to address this problem. We are very pleased with the performance of the Flight Works pumps, and believe solidly in them.

BTW, I'm at long last back from Spain. Beautiful place, but glad to be home.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:16 PM
BirdofpraY

kevin, thanks for all your help trying to resolve this issue but I was in Miami over the weekend and Carlos at RTI looked at it for me and the problem is now resolved.

I am on a dead line on this Mirage and so I needed this engine resloved as quick as I could.

I appreate your great dedication and quick responces on your part.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-04-2003, 10:56 PM
viper1

Default It's killing me !!

It's killing me !!

Please !! tell us, what was it ???