Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Now I'm really confused...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I'm really confused...

Robert:

I was about to push "Check Out" on your site when I found the link to this forum on your home page... As I read through some of the posts, I have become more confused than ever...

I was ready to purchase three Failsafe Regulators with On / Off Switches and two of your remote pin & flag switches... I want to use these on a 30% airplane with 2 regulators / batteries for the Rx and 1 regulator / battery for the ignition... I was going to tie the 2 Rx regulators together with on pin & flag switch and plug the output from the 2 regulators into separate channel ports on my Rx...

Now I read here where this is not the optimum method of redundancy, as one battery / regulator will always be dominate in this configuration and if the dominate battery / regulator fails, the other may not carry the load... This is the exact reason I wanted redundancy in my power system... I don't want to use a single Dual-Battery regulator as if it fails, all the batteries in the world won't save my aircraft...

What is the optimum configuration to assure that redundant power is ALWAYS available to my Rx???

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-11-2005, 05:07 PM
rrritchey

Default RE: Now I'm really confused...

Mark,
If the regulators you have can each power the plane individually then this setup will work but you will most likey suffer from the situation where one regulator will supply more current than the other regulator so you will have uneven battery drain. This is one reason we built the SuperReg and TurboReg. While they do not have regulator redundancy the regulators are much less likely to fail than the batteries, switches or wiring. The only way to avoid this is to cross-wire the batteries to both regulators. The problem is that if you are using lithium cells you really do not want the battery outputs directly connected to each other. The BatShare would work but you would have to remove the batteries from the BatShare at the end of the day because the LEDs on the BatShare will drain the batteries even when the regulators are off. Another option would be to use two SuperRegs and cross-wire the batteries as they have BatShares built into them. There is really no optimal solution but these are a couple of options. Please let me know if I can elaborate on any of this for you.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Now I'm really confused...

Robert:

Thanks for the reply... I am still in a quandry over which direction to go... I'm stuck in the weight vs price vs reliability equation in my head right now and I have to make a decision... Guess I'll just flip a coin... lol...