Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

BattShare

Old 03-27-2006, 12:13 PM
jeyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BattShare

Bob,

I am sorry for beating a dead horse but after reading through all the posts here I am just as confused about best practice use of your BattShare. That and there is a good disscussion going on at the field about this.

Here is my intended setup:
2800 LIon battery -> HD Switch -> BattShare -> Regulator1 -> receiver1 (batt port)
2800 LIon battery -> HD Switch -> BattShare -> Regulator2 -> receiver1 (channel 5)

Will the BattShare draw from both batteries equally?

Or should I stop making it so complicated and use one regulator?
Like:
2800 LIon battery -> HD Switch -> BattShare -> Regulator1 -> receiver1 (batt port)
2800 LIon battery -> HD Switch -> BattShare ┘

I have just lost a big Ultimate to suspected switch failure and I am looking for redundancy in the power system.

Thanks in advance
John
Old 03-27-2006, 12:31 PM
rrritchey

Default RE: BattShare

Hi John,
This will draw evenly from both batteries. The only issue I see here is that one regulator is going to do most of the work. This is just the way it works when you hook two regulators' outputs together. What will happen is that the BatShare will draw from both batteries, evenly. It will then send the voltage to both regulators but the regulator that has its output set at a slightly higher voltage (greater than about 0.005V) will try to supply all the current while the other regulator will kind of sit by and do nothing. Now this is fine except you are running most of your current to the receiver through a single wire and connector.

So, the bottom line is, you will draw evenly from both batteries and you will have regulator redundancy doing it the way you propose, you just will not be using both regulators when they are both good.

If you think about going with a single regulator you might want to look at our SuperReg. You would have to make a couple Deans->JR adapters but it has dual-battery inputs and a failsafe switch built in.

Let me know if I can help further.

-Bob
Old 05-26-2006, 10:32 PM
jdavera

Hi Bob,

I have the BattShare but I have the following Setup :

One 4800 lion Fromeco bat (main) and 1 2400 lion Fromeco bat (backup) now my problem is that I have the regulator also from Fromeco the Super Regulated ReliaSwitch, and with this regulator I cannot connect the on-off switch between the batt. and the Battshare. Is there any problem if I connect the batteries direct to the battshare and then connect the regulator with the switch... With this configuration the battshare is going to see power all the time even if I have the switch off. Could I leave the batshare connect to the batteries for the day that I fly and then disconnect when I get home, or I'm going to drain my batteries ????

Thanks,

John
Old 05-27-2006, 09:58 AM
rrritchey

Hi John,
You can do what you describe. The BatShare will drain your batteries at the rate of about 20mAH an hour. If you were at the field for 5 hours then it would draw your battery down 100mAH. Just be really careful to disconnect your batteries when you get home or you could ruin your cells.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:17 PM
jdavera

Thanks,

John
Old 05-28-2006, 09:14 AM
rrritchey

Hi John,
No problem. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

Hi Robert. I do not want to hijack this thread but i have the same set up with my 33% plane:
2800 LIon battery -> HD Switch ->Smart-fly Regulator1 -> receiver1 (batt port)
2800 LIon battery -> HD Switch ->Smart fly Regulator2 -> receiver1 (channel 5)

Servos used:
3x JR8611
4XJR8411
2xJR537
1x JR649 PCM receiver

I know the maximum current with an RC connector is 3A but what's the problem if i am running most of the current to the receiver through a single wire and connector by adding a battshare?
Daniel
Old 06-23-2006, 08:52 AM
rrritchey

Hi Daniel,
You are right about the connectors, they are good for 3A continuous. I am not exactly sure what you are asking but I think you want to know about hooking a BatShare between the regulators and the receiver? This will not help you because of a couple things. First the BatShare has a 0.5V drop across it so you would have to set the regulators about 0.5V higher than what you want at the receiver. Second, you would have a single lead coming from each regulator where you would get more voltage drop. Third, you would still have a problem where one of the regulators is doing most of the work and the other will mostly be on standby causing uneven battery draw.
I may have missed the point of your question. If so I am sorry. Please let me know if I did or I can help with any other questions.
Thanks,
Old 06-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Scoubidou

Robert, sorry for the confusion but i did not mean hooking the battshare between the regs and rx.

I was planning to buy a battshare and to use 2 regs as follow.

2800 LIon battery -> Switch -> BattShare -> Regulator1 -> receiver1 (batt port)
2800 LIon battery -> Switch -> BattShare -> Regulator2 -> receiver1 (channel 5)

My question refers to your comment below:

The only issue I see here is that one regulator is going to do most of the work. This is just the way it works when you hook two regulators' outputs together. What will happen is that the BatShare will draw from both batteries, evenly. It will then send the voltage to both regulators but the regulator that has its output set at a slightly higher voltage (greater than about 0.005V) will try to supply all the current while the other regulator will kind of sit by and do nothing. Now this is fine except you are running most of your current to the receiver through a single wire and connector.
Questions:
1) What the regulators will do if one of two regulators breake or overheat?

2) If i have 7 digital servos (3x JR8611, 4XJR8411) asking current during a snap roll from only one regulator 5 Amp rated, and the RC connector is 3Amp rated, am i in risk of failure with the rc connector (RC connector between the working regulator and rx) ?

Daniel
Old 06-23-2006, 10:23 AM
rrritchey

Hi Daniel,
This will work, I have had several people do this. The failure mode of a regulator is really undefined but usually they open circuit instead of short circuiting. You still will have one regulator doing most of the work so you are going to be supplying current though a single lead for the most part. The other regulator will kick in at higher loads so this does provide some benefit. Also, you will get even battery draw in this configuration.
The connector will not fail, you will just get a larger voltage drop across it. If you put a sustained load of 6-8 amps on a single connector it might fuse to the header, I have seen this happen on electrics when someone did not understand connectors well, but at your momentary loads you should not have a problem.
Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Scoubidou

One last question about this comment below:
The other regulator will kick in at higher loads so this does provide some benefit
Does it mean if the current is more than 5 amp continiuously or 10 amps peak with one reg, the other reg will take the current to help the other instead of overheating?

Daniel
Old 06-24-2006, 10:57 AM
rrritchey

Hi Daniel,
It all depends on how closely the regulator outputs are matched. If they are way off, say 0.2V, then the second regulator may never kick in. If you have them matched to 0.05V then it would kick in under a moderate load. Don't count on good current sharing even when then are matched pretty good. Regulators just don't work that way when they are connected together.
Let me know if you have any more questions.