Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Power expender pro

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power expender pro

Hello
I am studing the option of using power expander pro with 2x A123 batteries or li-ion+super reg on 35% plane.

Could you explain me how can we turn on/off the li-ion batteries, if there are not switches between the super reg and batteries?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:57 PM
rrritchey

Default RE: Power expender pro

Hi,
You can use the failsafe switches with either combination. If you use A123 batteries (not regulator) you plug the failsafe switch into the PowerExpander Pro. If you use the SuperReg with the PowerExpander Pro you plug the failsafe switch into the SuperReg. Of course you can always use switches between the batteries and the SuperReg. You just want to be sure the wiring is up to the job. The requirements for this depend on the size plane. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Scoubidou

The wiring diagramm do not show switches with the '' smart-sense'' feature.

Could you explain me how does smarth-sense work, when we do not use switches?
Old 12-30-2007, 03:18 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
I am not sure what you are asking. The Smart-Sense inputs sense the two battery packs and will isolate a bad battery pack from the system and use the good battery pack. If you use the failsafe switch you do not need switches between the batteries and the PowerExpander or SuperReg.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Scoubidou

Hello Robert
I finally decided to go with the power expander pro, Smart-fly slider fail safe switche and two 2300ma 123 batteries without reg.

Question: Do i need a battshare device to draws power equally from both packs?

Daniel
Old 01-21-2008, 11:56 AM
rrritchey

Hi Daniel,
A BatShare is built into the PowerExpander Pro. The PowerExpaner Pro, Failsafe Switch and 2-A123 batteries with Deans should be all you need.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Scoubidou

Already ordered to Sin city jets

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Scoubidou

Robert
I bought the FMA direct Cellpro charger thinking i could charge my A123s with the two servo plugs that come with the failsafe switch and expander but it seems the cellpro charger do not work with a common ground?

Is there a solution to charge the batteries without disconnecting them from the power expander?
Daniel

Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 AM
rrritchey

Hi Daniel,
I really cannot keep up with all the chargers and if they work with common ground or not. I don't know of any way to charge both batteries at the same time without breaking a connection if the charger does not support common ground. You cannot use a standard switch either as no switch I have seen breaks the ground and power, just the power lead. Sorry.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Scoubidou

Hello Robert
Just for your information, i do not have to disconnect one battery from the power expander to charge one A123 pack at the time.

Questions:
I would like to add matchbox or Smart-fly equiliser for 2 servos/ailerons between the power expander pro and the servos.
Will the power expander protect the servos against RF filtering and long lead lines matching or the RF protection stops at the matchbox?
Note: The matchbox would be installed beside the power expander and i would have 36'' extension from the matchbox to the servos

Daniel
Old 02-07-2008, 11:31 AM
rrritchey

Hi Daniel,
The RF filtering is built into the PowerExpander and keeps any noise from coming into the PowerExpander from the servos. It also helps to output a clean signal. The Equalizer also has some RF filtering in it.

When using a PowerExpander and Equalizer I like to suggest that you run the outboard servo on each wing straight into the PowerExpander. Then run the inboard servo through the Equalizer II to the PowerExpander. Use your transmitter to adjust each of the servos connected directly to the PowerExpander and then use each of the Equalizer IIs to match their servo to the one connected directly to the PowerExpander. This gives you the lowest resistance for each servo resulting in more power from each servo.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Scoubidou

Hello Robert
I can not set like i want my ailerons servos together and i think i am going to need the equaliser II. How do you mount the equaliser II in the plane? Is there a kind of plastic velcro like you include with the power expander or i may simply use a tie rap?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:27 AM
rrritchey

Hi,
Most people use standard sticky back Velcro. You can also use wrap but I think the Velcro will give you better access for adjustments.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Scoubidou

Hi Robert
The system does not work when i try to connect two power connections between my JR PCM 9 ch reciever and the power expander pro. I would like to have power redundancy on the RX with two regulated connections on the reciever.

Presently and to make it work, i do not have power connection on the reciever batterie channel and i use only chanel A to power the RX .

Daniel
Old 06-09-2008, 01:43 PM
rrritchey

Hi Daniel,
You should not connect ANY connection between the PowerExpander and the receiver into the battery port of the receiver. You should connect one power/servo lead into Throttle and the other into Aux4 (last Aux). Leave one of the single wire connectors unconnected. This is explained in the manual. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:11 AM
rcroll

I agree with rrritchey
Let's RCRoll Our Life!