Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Getting Neu motors repaired

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Getting Neu motors repaired

Old 10-04-2010, 03:25 AM
wetsleeves

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Neu motors repaired

Hi, I need to send one of my neu motors in for repairs as the front bearing collapsed on the motor shaft.
Do these motors get sent to
Neutronics
11421 West Bernardo Ct
San Diego, CA 92127
or do they go to castle creations?

Dont know how it happened but its enough to give you the s#*ts.
Thanks Peter
Old 10-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Getting Neu motors repaired

They go to Neu at the address you show, Castle is just the retailer. But first, go to the Neu website and fill out the return form:
http://www.neumotors.com/Site/Repair...est%20Form.pdf

Old 10-04-2010, 07:16 AM
wetsleeves

Thanks,
I seen the form when I was on there site, but I was thinking how do they bill you.
Do they send you a invoice (via email) once its been repaired?
Then pay them before they send it back.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Got RPM

The last motors I sent in were inspected/fixed, then they e-mailed or called me with the total and took a credit card. I've been very pleased with Neu's service, but I was never in a hurry for it. The time it takes to finish the work depends on the amount of work they have to do. Winter is the slow time for them.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:28 AM
wetsleeves

Thanks for the reply.
I sent the motor back to Neu today so I hope it wont be a long wait. Its spring here know so it our turn to play.......
Its got me beat why the bearing would just fall apart. I had just slowed the boat down and was coming out of a turn it when I heard a horrible sound. I hadnt even ran the boat at full throttle.
Oh well more money thrown into this boat.....If its not one boat its the other.....
Old 10-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Got RPM

The usual reasons for bearing failure are corrosion, running dry or flat spotting. The latter happens when you drop the motor on the end of the shaft and it dents the balls or the race. This adds huge amounts of drag and friction, overheating the bearing and causing failure. In boats corrosion is common with some bearings, and stainless steel is not always the answer. Many stainless balls are not up to the dimensional quality of regular steel or ceramics. Ceramics have their own set of issues - shock loading can break them. If we keep the bearings dry or dry them out fully after a dunking, keep them oiled and don't drop them they will last a long time.....but they are still considered expendable items.

Of course you could get faulty bearings, but that is the last thing I would look for.