Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Well..Im stuck between a MG Cat and spartan..

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Well..Im stuck between a MG Cat and spartan..

Old 01-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Dirt_hawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well..Im stuck between a MG Cat and spartan..

I had decided on a MG Cat but my lhs got a couple spartans in...What do you guys think..MG or Spartan?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 AM
wilsta67

Default RE: Well..Im stuck between a MG Cat and spartan..

Get both! :-)
Old 01-03-2011, 10:41 AM
siberianhusky

Personally wouldn't pay what they want for a plastic hulled Spartan. Seen enough boat crashes to know what you will have left after a 50mph crackup with a plastic hull.
The sv with a fiberglass hull in my opinion will be a much longer lasting hull. Even if you do cream something you can easily repair a f/g hull as long as you can piece it together.
You will eventually hit something or be hit, a bouy, stick in the water, another boat, the shore!
I also don't like the weird drive setup, I'd like to know if you can fit a Neu or Leopard in that thing, be fine if you only want to stick with the stock set up but most boaters eventually upgrade to better stuff as parts fail. Having to rebuild the entire driveline just to try a different motor would suck!
I think the Spartan is a beautiful looking boat and if it had a glass hull and a traditional motor mount.......
Just my 2 cents but I really don't like the idea of a big fast boat made of plastic and wonder about the upgrade ability of it. The SV is a traditional setup that is very easy to upgrade while using the stock hardware.
I don't own an SV never have, but I was very impressed with the quality of my buddies, his SV is what got me into electrics after 20+ years of nitro boating. I converted one of my 3.5cc inboards to electric, now I'm building an electric 1/10 scale hydro.
Go Geico or SV I think you'll be happier in the long run, also one thing to think about is Spartans just hit the shelves I'd wait on one for the reason that not much running has been done with them yet and nobody knows about any problems, I've also never seen video of one running 6s, Saw one running 3s and I hope the setup was way off because it was chine walking all over the place, if it ran that bad on 3s I'd really hate to see it on 6s! As I said that could have been set up wrong.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:11 PM
doby
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: siberianhusky

Personally wouldn't pay what they want for a plastic hulled Spartan. Seen enough boat crashes to know what you will have left after a 50mph crackup with a plastic hull.
The sv with a fiberglass hull in my opinion will be a much longer lasting hull. Even if you do cream something you can easily repair a f/g hull as long as you can piece it together.
You will eventually hit something or be hit, a bouy, stick in the water, another boat, the shore!
I also don't like the weird drive setup, I'd like to know if you can fit a Neu or Leopard in that thing, be fine if you only want to stick with the stock set up but most boaters eventually upgrade to better stuff as parts fail. Having to rebuild the entire driveline just to try a different motor would suck!
I think the Spartan is a beautiful looking boat and if it had a glass hull and a traditional motor mount.......
Just my 2 cents but I really don't like the idea of a big fast boat made of plastic and wonder about the upgrade ability of it. The SV is a traditional setup that is very easy to upgrade while using the stock hardware.
I don't own an SV never have, but I was very impressed with the quality of my buddies, his SV is what got me into electrics after 20+ years of nitro boating. I converted one of my 3.5cc inboards to electric, now I'm building an electric 1/10 scale hydro.
Go Geico or SV I think you'll be happier in the long run, also one thing to think about is Spartans just hit the shelves I'd wait on one for the reason that not much running has been done with them yet and nobody knows about any problems, I've also never seen video of one running 6s, Saw one running 3s and I hope the setup was way off because it was chine walking all over the place, if it ran that bad on 3s I'd really hate to see it on 6s! As I said that could have been set up wrong.

The vid was on 6S....Qty 2, 3S's in series=6S
Old 01-03-2011, 12:13 PM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think that video you were talking about is 6s, 2 X 3s, and though i think it was partially set up it was still really bad chine walking. I have a MG and I really like it, also have a sv and would say go with the MG over it
Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 PM
losifiend

Miss G hands down!! Haven't held the Traxxas boat in my hands but you cant compare a high quality fiberglass hull boat, with an race inspired design and awesome paint scheme, with a 4 pole motor and a really nice glossy finish, to an ABS boat with a cheap 2 pole, re-badged Feigao motor, and a "6S" ESC with no known amp rating. People have blown the Miss G ESC but most have admited to it being user error and in most cases Horizon has taken care of replacing it.

I have been running mine on 4s as intended for 2 months now with no issues.

My $.2
Old 01-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Dirt_hawg

ORIGINAL: losifiend

Miss G hands down!! Haven't held the Traxxas boat in my hands but you cant compare a high quality fiberglass hull boat, with an race inspired design and awesome paint scheme, with a 4 pole motor and a really nice glossy finish, to an ABS boat with a cheap 2 pole, re-badged Feigao motor, and a ''6S'' ESC with no known amp rating. People have blown the Miss G ESC but most have admited to it being user error and in most cases Horizon has taken care of replacing it.

My $.2
So what is your setup? Are you all stock electrics and prop? What are your speeds?
Old 01-03-2011, 02:05 PM
rcking
My Feedback: (8)

The Spartan set up according to the manual, The esc is an 80amp unit with a 300amp burst. The recommended batteries are (2) 2 cell 5000mah LiPos for better performance and (2) 3cell 5000mah LiPos for all out. all kinds of room to move batteries around for balance. I have seen fiberglass boats get trashed at 25mph, any hull at 50+ mph contacting anything is not a good thing! you will have fun with the Spartan or the MG. I think monos handle waves better so that means more days running thats my 2cets worth ! let the games begin. You will have fun with either one. ENJOY!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82188.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	1541762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68809.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1541763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39279.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1541764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69942.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1541765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49479.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1541766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30363.jpg
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1541767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79962.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1541768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80350.jpg
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1541769  

Old 01-03-2011, 02:34 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

MG all the way!
if it's not fast enough on 4s with the right prop, run it on 5s and hang on!

better quality all the way around
Old 01-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Revashley

I've got to throw in a vote for the Miss Geico... This is my first brushless electric boat, but WOW!!!... The boat is just beautiful! and to tell you the truth, when I looked at the Spartan, it did nothing for me. The Spartan may be alittle faster, but I can tell you that the Miss Geico still flies!... and for me, I really like the fiberglass catamaran hull... Not to mention the fact that the Geico just makes speed look good... here is my boat

Old 01-03-2011, 06:59 PM
SV27dayton

Awesome photos Rev.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:22 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

great shots bro!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:27 PM
wave waker

honestly get both, they're two different thing,,as typical boater saying, always bring two boats to the pond,
Old 01-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Dirt_hawg

Ok guys..Im gonna get the MG Cat...I just ordered my batts..Im gonna run the turnigy 2cell 5000 40c batts..I just ordered some...Now..Im gonna get a balanced and sharpened prop.Which prop would you guys recommend? I dont want to kill the stock electrics..I just want better performance..I like the higher mph noisy roost props..

Also, another thought I have is, why aren't the canopies made out of lexan? The lexan rc car bodies are verrrry tough!! they do not shatter...hmmm
Old 01-03-2011, 10:59 PM
losifiend

ORIGINAL: Dirt_hawg

Miss G hands down!! Haven't held the Traxxas boat in my hands but you cant compare a high quality fiberglass hull boat, with an race inspired design and awesome paint scheme, with a 4 pole motor and a really nice glossy finish, to an ABS boat with a cheap 2 pole, re-badged Feigao motor, and a ''6S'' ESC with no known amp rating. People have blown the Miss G ESC but most have admited to it being user error and in most cases Horizon has taken care of replacing it.

My $.2
So what is your setup? Are you all stock electrics and prop? What are your speeds?
Here is a video with the stock electronics and a Grim 42x55 prop, on 4S. Don't have a GPS but the prop really makes it scream, compared to stock.
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOa6j-n2EOU[/link]

Just installed new electronics earlier today. Turnigy 180A ESC and Castle 1800KV out runner. Hoping to get her wet tomorrow. I'll have more video then. I also have a 1512 1800 that I will also be trying in there.....I need a GPS, lol!

Rcking, those boats look cool but by what I have seen so far they chimewalk like crazy with more than 4S in them. The MG handles like its on rails!! It handles rough water just fine. asupervee72, ran his on 5S along side mine with the same prop and he pulled on me pretty good. I would say the stock MG motor and a T-180 esc on 6S would easily break into the high 50s with the right prop.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:47 PM
rcking
My Feedback: (8)

Have Fun!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Dirt_hawg

Ok guys..Im gonna get the MG Cat...I just ordered my batts..Im gonna run the turnigy 2cell 5000 40c batts..I just ordered some...Now..Im gonna get a balanced and sharpened prop.Which prop would you guys recommend? I dont want to kill the stock electrics..I just want better performance..I like the higher mph noisy roost props..

Also, another thought I have is, why aren't the canopies made out of lexan? The lexan rc car bodies are verrrry tough!! they do not shatter...hmmm
So which prop guys?which prop is better than the stock one but not to big..I dont want to lose any runtime..Im gonna order one tommorow..Help me decide..
Old 01-04-2011, 07:54 PM
forescott
My Feedback: (7)

The best overall prop in my opinion with the stock motor is gonna be the octura x-642
Old 01-05-2011, 06:34 PM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcking

The Spartan set up according to the manual, The esc is an 80amp unit with a 300amp burst. The recommended batteries are (2) 2 cell 5000mah LiPos for better performance and (2) 3cell 5000mah LiPos for all out. all kinds of room to move batteries around for balance. I have seen fiberglass boats get trashed at 25mph, any hull at 50+ mph contacting anything is not a good thing! you will have fun with the Spartan or the MG. I think monos handle waves better so that means more days running thats my 2cets worth ! let the games begin. You will have fun with either one. ENJOY!

your shots of the Spartan make it look pretty nice, the only thing i can see that concerns me is working on it, looks like it might be hard to get the collet loose from the flex shaft, or take the motor out if you need to for any reason. Any feedback on this, is it actually easy?

and my fave prop so far is the m445, but i have yet to try the x642 cause i haven't seen one when i'm in a buying mood and my last one turned into like an x635 after a bad day out with the SV
Old 01-06-2011, 07:41 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

asupervee72
your shots of the Spartan make it look pretty nice, the only thing i can see that concerns me is working on it, looks like it might be hard to get the collet loose from the flex shaft, or take the motor out if you need to for any reason. Any feedback on this, is it actually easy?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:45 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

My $.2
Here is a video with the stock electronics and a Grim 42x55 prop, on 4S. Don't have a GPS but the prop really makes it scream, compared to stock.
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOa6j-n2EOU[/link]

Just installed new electronics earlier today. Turnigy 180A ESC and Castle 1800KV out runner. Hoping to get her wet tomorrow. I'll have more video then. I also have a 1512 1800 that I will also be trying in there.....I need a GPS, lol!

Rcking, those boats look cool but by what I have seen so far they chimewalk like crazy with more than 4S in them. The MG handles like its on rails!! It handles rough water just fine. asupervee72, ran his on 5S along side mine with the same prop and he pulled on me pretty good. I would say the stock MG motor and a T-180 esc on 6S would easily break into the high 50s with the right prop.

Ok new video with new guts I wanta see please