Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Miss Geico or UL-1?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Miss Geico or UL-1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:06 PM
highfly24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miss Geico or UL-1?

Okay. I've eliminated the Blackjack from my options of boats. Now to change gears a little. Which one, the Aquacraft UL-1 or the Pro Boat Miss Geico? Something that will run VERY fast, but still handle very well, turning each direction, and be able to take larger waves from real boats at the lake?
Thanks All!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Miss Geico or UL-1?

With your added questions your leaning towards the MG. Here's the reasons why, the UL1 (which I own and love) is setup for racing and with the turn fin it only turns well to the right, also being a 3 point hydro is does not like any bit of chop what's so ever. Needs somewhat glass water but a awesome handling boat and the motor/esc from the ul1 are just simply amazing. This miss geico is setup more for offshore and with the inline rudder turning in both directions is great also being a cat it can handle the chop better then the hydro will. If you need something to really handle a lot of chop your gonna need a deep vee/mono hull in the 30"+ range.

UL1 (not stock) -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELmjwLeOzIk
MG (stock) -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsZmdN6FsIs

ORIGINAL: highfly24

Okay. I've eliminated the Blackjack from my options of boats. Now to change gears a little. Which one, the Aquacraft UL-1 or the Pro Boat Miss Geico? Something that will run VERY fast, but still handle very well, turning each direction, and be able to take larger waves from real boats at the lake?
Thanks All!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 PM
losifiend

IMO, the Geico handles like a hydro. At first I was scared to hit turns at full tilt but the darn thing handles like its on rails. Now I rarely let off the throttle and I have never roller it. I flipped in once but I have it setup to run very dry and it caught head wind and flipped up in the air. The UL1 looks awesome too. But me, I just love cats! And the MG is definitely a winner in my book.

The BJ26 is a nice boat too but will never handle anywhere close to the MG. It loved to flip. I have 2 of them.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Diesel6401

I'm pretty sure cat's are considered a type of scale hydro, often run in classes with true hydros. Riggers on the other hand are in a class of the own, I hate how they look, but DAMN their fast.
ORIGINAL: losifiend

IMO, the Geico handles like a hydro. At first I was scared to hit turns at full tilt but the darn thing handles like its on rails. Now I rarely let off the throttle and I have never roller it. I flipped in once but I have it setup to run very dry and it caught head wind and flipped up in the air. The UL1 looks awesome too. But me, I just love cats! And the MG is definitely a winner in my book.

The BJ26 is a nice boat too but will never handle anywhere close to the MG. It loved to flip. I have 2 of them.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:09 AM
highfly24

That helps a bunch! Thanks for the help in these last 2 forums Diesel! and thanks losifiend!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Diesel6401

No problem man, glad to help. The more people we can get in the hobby the better!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 AM
highfly24

haha I've been flying planes for 11 years, and choppers for 5, and I've had a boat before, and I race cars, just don't know a lot about the boats.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Diesel6401

O well sweet!!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Diesel6401

I'm pretty sure cat's are considered a type of scale hydro, often run in classes with true hydros. Riggers on the other hand are in a class of the own, I hate how they look, but DAMN their fast.

to me they are like a Tunnel
Old 01-25-2011, 08:07 PM
losifiend

I guess the principle of any boat with sponsens is the same. They all seem to "glide" across the water surface. Some just seem to handle better than others.

........... just don't know a lot about the boats.
Don't feel bad. Neither do we

Old 01-25-2011, 08:13 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Cats I think are the best for a new boater
Old 01-25-2011, 08:31 PM
highfly24

I guess the principle of any boat with sponsens is the same. They all seem to ''glide'' across the water surface. Some just seem to handle better than others.

........... just don't know a lot about the boats.
Don't feel bad. Neither do we

hahaha that makes me feel good, knowing I'm getting top-of-the-line info from people that I thought knew what they were doing. haha just joking. I really appreciate the help eveyone!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:14 AM
losifiend

lol, I'm glad you got the joke. But the way I see it when you "know everything" you have shut down your mind to new ideas in this ever changing world. People are pushing the limits of these things every day and finding that things still work just fine.

Example, I run a 2600kv, $15, Turnigy 36-56-2600KV motor in my Widowmaker on a T-60A ESC with 2, 2200mah 20C LiPos, providing only 88 amps. I was constantly told it wouldn't work and that I would smoke the ESC and puff the batteries. Well, it runs great. Fast, for such a poorly designed boat, and after 8 runs nothing has burnt or even got hot yet. The boat on the other hand still handles like crap and is a pain in the but to try and "dial in", lol!

So you know what they say. Behind every joke lies a bit of truth
Old 01-26-2011, 06:27 AM
Dirt_hawg

ORIGINAL: srt10

I agree..As this was my first boat..I got it 3 weeks ago..ive had a blast tuning it to run the best..My best setup so far is, strut all the way down level with the rudder mount,and batts hanging about 1 inch off the back of trays..Also I have BEC disabled..It will literally jump out of the water and handles like its on rails and haul ***** at that..Im running 4s for now..Prop is octura x642 s/b..Minimal bounce..
Youll love it!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:14 AM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dirt_hawg

ORIGINAL: srt10

I agree..As this was my first boat..I got it 3 weeks ago..ive had a blast tuning it to run the best..My best setup so far is, strut all the way down level with the rudder mount,and batts hanging about 1 inch off the back of trays..Also I have BEC disabled..It will literally jump out of the water and handles like its on rails and haul ***** at that..Im running 4s for now..Prop is octura x642 s/b..Minimal bounce..
Youll love it!!!

i concur, my first FE was a mono and it was hard for me to get it to go fast and be stable cause i didn't know what to adjust or how to fix ride problems and my SV was tuned to run super loose out of the box. The MG is pretty much like driving a car the thing handles so damn well.