Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Traxxas Spartan Brushless

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Traxxas Spartan Brushless

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:41 AM
joeyhatch11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Spartan Brushless

Just waiting on TowerHobbies to get them back in stock. Would like to know what kind of run times to expect using the following.

7.4v 5000mah

14.8v 5000mah

11.1v 5300mah

and possibly combining 2, 7.4v 5000mah to get 10,000mah. But don't know what kind of heat issues to expect with running it that long. Speed isn't my main concern with this boat just looking for decent run time and moderate speeds.

Thanks guys, Joe
Old 02-16-2011, 09:12 AM
BACKEMF

Default RE: Traxxas Spartan Brushless

RUN AWAY BE AFRAID!

dO READING ON THE sPARTAN BEFORE YOU BUY!!!

It has ISSUES!!!!!

You can get far better elsewhere!!!

Trust me and my 20 yrs experience this boat isn't worth it's weight in Straw.

People have been melting motors & esc's etc...

In the end you are left with a plastic hull with average hardware.

You are better to buy a used properly running boat from OSE Forum swap shop.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 AM
joeyhatch11

What about any of the RTR Pro Boats? Was looking at some on Horizon Hobby. Would also be interested in checking out some links if I can get some posted. This is my first venture into boats so any help would be great. Thanks guys
Old 02-16-2011, 09:44 AM
wilsta67

stay clear of the spartan mate!
its nothing but a peice of junk. its having alot of problems like esc, and motors burning up i have had first hand experiance.there are better boats out there.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 AM
losifiend

Miss Geico wont disappoint. Stay way from the Widowmaker though. It's crap.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 AM
joeyhatch11

Miss Geico looks like fun. Like the overall look and the price isn't bad. Im on OSE now reading up on some boating. Like I said this is my first look into boats and would hate to waste money on something that's not going to last or will need upgrades right away.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 AM
losifiend

The MG does not need any upgrades at all. Though that wont last long. These things are very addicting. You will find yourself soon looking for a bigger prop, then a bigger ESC to run more voltage through. Trust me. That's how I started!

But as far as reliability, the MG is where it's at. Also, Horizon has awesome warranty so if something does go bad you will have a replacement shortly thereafter.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:15 AM
joeyhatch11

What about other brushless boats that are more in the style of the Spartan?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:40 AM
joeyhatch11

What are your thoughts on this one? Liking the fact that I can take advantage of Towers "easy pay" option on it too.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXWCJ1WW&P=ML
Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: joeyhatch11

What are your thoughts on this one? Liking the fact that I can take advantage of Towers ''easy pay'' option on it too.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXWCJ1WW&P=ML
That one is a fun one!
it can be a handful

this is another one to consider, just it will not be out for a couple months yet
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXASLN
Old 02-16-2011, 03:07 PM
joeyhatch11

That one looks like the ProBoat Miss Geico, which is something I'm considering now. I'm going to check the spec for Motley Crew though. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:28 PM
srt10

That one looks like the ProBoat Miss Geico, which is something I'm considering now. I'm going to check the spec for Motley Crew though. Thanks for the info.
I've yet to find specs on this boat..
I do know they are using the new esc out of the UL-1 and the 1800kv motor out of the SV27R
and 29" length
Old 02-16-2011, 04:17 PM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: srt10

I do know they are using the new esc out of the UL-1 and the 1800kv motor out of the SV27R
and 29'' length

sounds like a fast set up, reliable too. As long as it handles as well as MG and the price is close enough to the same it seems like the new AQ cat will be the better equipped cat, electronically.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:35 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: asupervee72

ORIGINAL: srt10

and 29'' length

sounds like a fast set up, reliable too. As long as it handles as well as MG and the price is close enough to the same it seems like the new AQ cat will be the better equipped cat, electronically.
During its testing it ran is race water last year and the out come was very good!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:00 PM
MsDarla

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXASLN
I posted some pictures but the video of the boat did not turn out too well.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...tm.htm#9737310
Old 02-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

Like everyone has already said I will say as well. Spartan sucks, their I said it I feel better now. One less boat to catch on fire.... lol
The ul1 you selected is one hell of a RTR. The motor to date is the best motor I have seen in a rtr. It is AMAZING. It can be a little much for a first time boater though. Best overall beginner friendly and best quality hands down the Miss Geico. She is awesome in every way. Best thing you can do is read man. Theirs a lot of great info over at OSE and some good info here as well. Take your time and weigh your options. It's a great hobby!
Here's some vid's for ya:
Here's my UL1 (not stock but you can get the idea):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELmjwLeOzIk
Here's a good choice in the SV:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1ksDActBo
Another option that is just a little smaller then the Spartan but 100% better is the Pursuit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOc9vU1ltsY
Old 02-16-2011, 07:37 PM
RGrew176

Miss Geico looks like fun. Like the overall look and the price isn't bad. Im on OSE now reading up on some boating. Like I said this is my first look into boats and would hate to waste money on something that's not going to last or will need upgrades right away.
I have a Pro Boat Blackjack 26 BL. I have enjoyed the heck running that boat. I am looking for something a little faster. I really liked the Traxxas Spartan and would like to get one but as has been stated here they are having issues with overheating motors and esc's. Until Traxxas corrects these issues I too would steer clear.

There was no Miss Geico when I bought my Blackjack. From what I have read the Miss Geico is faster even though they share the same motor. I'm not an RC junkie just someone who wants to buy a Ready To Run boat and I want it to run the first time I take it out of the box. A Pro Boat model will do just that. Go for Miss Geico, I think you will have a lot of fun with it.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:09 AM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote for both the MG hull will be probably be easier for you to set up to run nice, then sell your stock motor and get the Ul1 motor because, like deisel said, it is AMAZING, that motor is perfect in my opinion.

As far as the boat learning curve i'd say it goes monos/cats, hydros, then riggers. The ul1 is a hydro so it is a more difficult level of model, being that you said you are newb it may not be the best choice. On the other hand AQ makes a nice boat that is pretty much ready to go out of the box.

here is mine with the Ul-1 motor. I know your looking for stock but trust me give it a handfull of runs and you will be hooked like the rest of us trying to go as fast as the hull/our wallets will take us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FafgQb7cP5M
Old 02-17-2011, 10:00 AM
BACKEMF

If you propped down a tad you would get less torque roll and maybe less chance of flipping it.

Try an x642 detongued, it may unwind easier, maybe and less torque roll.

Looks like it was an ubrupt turn though... Nope, you flipped it... Need more weight forward...

I love my Miss Geico !!! Stock & all... I will drop one of my UL-1 motors in it this spring.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:57 PM
RGrew176

ORIGINAL: asupervee72

I vote for both the MG hull will be probably be easier for you to set up to run nice, then sell your stock motor and get the Ul1 motor because, like deisel said, it is AMAZING, that motor is perfect in my opinion.

As far as the boat learning curve i'd say it goes monos/cats, hydros, then riggers. The ul1 is a hydro so it is a more difficult level of model, being that you said you are newb it may not be the best choice. On the other hand AQ makes a nice boat that is pretty much ready to go out of the box.

here is mine with the Ul-1 motor. I know your looking for stock but trust me give it a handfull of runs and you will be hooked like the rest of us trying to go as fast as the hull/our wallets will take us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FafgQb7cP5M

Will the Aquacraft motor work in my Blackjack 26? I'm thinking if it works in the Miss Geico it will work in the Blackjack.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Stinger9d9

ORIGINAL: BACKEMF

RUN AWAY BE AFRAID!

It has ISSUES!!!!!

You could always pull off the hardware after the ESC and motor go up in smoke and use the empty plastic hulls as course markers...
Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 PM
dicko

ORIGINAL: Stinger9d9

ORIGINAL: BACKEMF

RUN AWAY BE AFRAID!

It has ISSUES!!!!!

You could always pull off the hardware after the ESC and motor go up in smoke and use the empty plastic hulls as course markers...
I'd leave the hardware on there as a weight.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:50 PM
losifiend

Another boat to look at is the Venom P1. A boating buddy of mine just got one and it runs awesome on 4S.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:45 AM
joeyhatch11

Was also told to check out the ProBoat ShockWave 26R. I like the fact that it will run on a single 2S lipo which will allow me to get more run time out of it. Vs using 2x2S in pretty much all other boat mentioned. I have seen on OSE a few Aquacraft SuperVee 27's for $160-225 RTR but if I go that route I'll find myself buying at least 6 more lipos so I can at least spend some good time on the water before having to recharge. With the Shockwave a simple ESC upgrade later will allow me to run 3S and from the videos of this thing on 7.4 and 11.1v it doesn't look that bad. I'm not interested in going fast as hell on the water, at least not yet. This is my first boat and I'm just looking for something to pass the time in the mornings before work and on my days off. With the ShockWave I can always upgrade later if I'm looking to get some 4S action out of her right?

Would be nice to find a boat that can run on 2,3 and 4S.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

Shockwaves are junk. (Just being Honest). The hull is cheap plastic, lame ujoint and the esc has been known to fry. Get something better for your money (just my opinon).

Was also told to check out the ProBoat ShockWave 26R. I like the fact that it will run on a single 2S lipo which will allow me to get more run time out of it. Vs using 2x2S in pretty much all other boat mentioned. I have seen on OSE a few Aquacraft SuperVee 27's for $160-225 RTR but if I go that route I'll find myself buying at least 6 more lipos so I can at least spend some good time on the water before having to recharge. With the Shockwave a simple ESC upgrade later will allow me to run 3S and from the videos of this thing on 7.4 and 11.1v it doesn't look that bad. I'm not interested in going fast as hell on the water, at least not yet. This is my first boat and I'm just looking for something to pass the time in the mornings before work and on my days off. With the ShockWave I can always upgrade later if I'm looking to get some 4S action out of her right?

Would be nice to find a boat that can run on 2,3 and 4S.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.