Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

HobbyKing NTN-400 Brushless V-Hull R/C Boat (450mm)

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

HobbyKing NTN-400 Brushless V-Hull R/C Boat (450mm)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 04:57 AM
nickster46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HobbyKing NTN-400 Brushless V-Hull R/C Boat (450mm)

Let's start a thread about the NTN-400 Brushless V-hull Boat wich is available from HobbyKing. I guess it is a new product from them and I couldn't find much information about it on the internet, except from a promotion film on youtube and a couple of video's from owners. So I was enthousiast about starting a thread about this boat wich seems to be a potential rough water racer.

These are the specifications from HobbyKing's website:
This very fast and perfectly finished V-Hull racing boat comes with a powerful 2604kv watercooled brushless motor. All hardware is included and is well machined, finished in a bead-blast and anodized to prevent corrosion. You will need a 2,200mAh 2S lipoly battery and a 30A water cooled ESC to power this boat to full speed.

Spec.
Length: 450mm
Width: 105mm
Height: 55mm
Weight : 390g
Motor: 20-40 size 2604kv Watercooled brusless
ESC: 30A watercooled (Required)

Required.
Radio System (2ch) & Receiver
2200mah 2S 20C Lipo
30A watercooled ESC

As far as I can see from the inside of the hull and the spec's above the hardware is the same as used in HobbyKing's Small Bolt, wich I own too.
There is also a thread about this boat on RC Universe:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97..._1/key_/tm.htm

This means that they advise to run it max on 3s lipo (11,3v).

There is a YouTube promotion video on YT wich includes some tips from the seller for better handling, this video can be located here:

[youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI-8AptAmAw[/youtube]

Here is a summary of some basic tips & tricks from discussions and experiences on the Small Bolt thread:

-Replace the stock 30A ESC for a min. 60A ESC, watercooled offcourse. These can be found quite cheap on Ebay or other RC parts webshops.
The temperature will be decreased, wich means increase of run time and durability of hardware.

- After upgrading the ESC to a 60A, or higher, you can upgrade the motor or increase the number of cells.

- I would advise against running a 4800kv motor on 4S (14,8v), it will be fried within minutes

-Running a 4800kv motor on 2s seems to be a good alternative for the stock 2604kv motor on 4S.

-The best performance on 4S can be found by using the stock 2604kv motor, wich appears to be a powerful and strong motor

I think that the choice for the best propellor can't be copied from the Small Bolt thread, because that is a different type of boat, and a little bit smaller. On the Small Bolt the octura X432 seems to be a popular prop.

The first things you should do before the maiden run is to put teflon grease inside the flex shaft, and offcourse, to waterproof the most of your hardware as RX, ESC and servo. Oh, and to double check all the bolts and screws and tighten them if needed. Remeber, it is still a pre-assembled boat with less care than recommended

I would also highly recommend, on the maiden run, to reach for the shore and open the hull after 1 minute to see if there is any water inside. If you wait for the battery to be empty there can be too much water inside.

I don't do it, but some people are recommending to put some floatation inside the hull so it won't sink when something happens. But if you check the hull for beeing waterproof on the maiden run and if you waterproof the most of your hardware there should be no problem.

There are several options waterproof these parts, from liquid gasket, hot glue to professional electronic waterproof spray. You can make it as expensive as you want.

Most of the times I use liquid gasket or hot glue in combination with putting the esc or rx into a balloon. for me, it doesn't have to win a beauty contest, but it has to keep my hardware dry.

You can put a shrinking tube on the outside of the tube (where the strut starts). This is a point where water can enter the shaft.

It is a baic, but I mention itut some good tape, hockey tape can be used, on the hull before putting it into the water.

Luckily, my Small Bolt keeps all the water outside so the hull stays dry. As mentioned above I ordered the NTN-400 V Hull from HobbyKing but it hasn't arrived yet so I can only update my first experience when it arrives.

I guess this is a good boat for it's price wich can be fast and fun!

Old 04-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: HobbyKing NTN-400 Brushless V-Hull R/C Boat (450mm)

There's a thread on the larger one the 600 at OSE. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...hlight=ntn-400and there was a thread here as well on this boat.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:08 AM
nickster46

I could't find a thread about this boat, that's why I started one, but thanks for the link about the 600 boat. 

Old 07-20-2011, 04:29 AM
JCAustralia

Its been a while since the last post, but how is it going with the hull?

Has anybody else bought it? It does look very sweet but the hatch opening seems rather small.....
Old 07-20-2011, 06:32 AM
doby

"I don't do it, but some people are recommending to put some floatation inside the hull so it won't sink when something happens. But if you check the hull for beeing waterproof on the maiden run and if you waterproof the most of your hardware there should be no problem. "

If your hatch comes off, you will be singing a different song.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:35 AM
nickster46

I you use good tape to seal the hatch you must be a real clown to let it come off.
I don't use flotation in the hull but I am thinking about doing it.

O, and I already sold this hull, it was a bit too small/short for the application I wanted it to use for. I was aiming for a hull that would run on 'rough' water. My small bolt flips too easy with little waves. But after one testrun I decided this NTN 400 wasn't wat I was looking for so I sold it.
I have got a Surge Crusher in backorder ATM at the HobbyKing store. seems I am not the only one..
Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 AM
doby

ORIGINAL: nickster46

I you use good tape to seal the hatch you must be a real clown to let it come off.
I don't use flotation in the hull but I am thinking about doing it.

O, and I already sold this hull, it was a bit too small/short for the application I wanted it to use for. I was aiming for a hull that would run on 'rough' water. My small bolt flips too easy with little waves. But after one testrun I decided this NTN 400 wasn't wat I was looking for so I sold it.
I have got a Surge Crusher in backorder ATM at the HobbyKing store. seems I am not the only one..
Anyone who knows anything knows that a taped hatch can easily come off during certain situations...