Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

ESC For 2 Motors??

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

ESC For 2 Motors??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 06:54 PM
NitroMedic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC For 2 Motors??

Good day,

I was wondering if anyone had info as to where I could find an ESC for a boat that can handle 2 (two) 10-turn motors?

Thanks for reading,
Shayne
Old 08-13-2003, 09:29 PM
hpisavagepro
My Feedback: (1)

well i know novak makes a esc for the emaxx that can have two motors but u need 2 batteries. i dont know if they can handle 10t+ hope this helps!!!
Old 08-14-2003, 01:35 AM
NitroMedic

Default Thanks!!

SavageDude,

Thanks a bunch for your reply! Yes, this does help me out very much!

Thanks again,
Shayne
Old 08-14-2003, 03:44 AM
sk8er9521

Default no prob

hey im just glad i could help!
Old 08-23-2003, 12:14 AM
SLOWBOAT-N

Default ESC

I just bought a ESC from AstroFlight. The 207D is listed as a Fast electric or Hydro speed controller. Will handle 6 - 36 cells and rated 75 amps. I'm going to use it in a Super Hawii with to motors, and two battery packes. Just getting everything ready. Will let you know later if what they advertize is what you get. Not expecting any problems.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:20 AM
NitroMedic

Default THANKS!!!

Slowboat'n,

Thank you VERY much for responding!! Pleeeease keep me posted on your progress! I'm really interested in setting one up!

Thanks again,
Shayne
Old 08-24-2003, 02:32 PM
old guy

The Novak Super Rooster should work for y'a but it is quite expensive, paid $223. CDN for mine. it has reverse which is handy when docking

Take care the Old guy
Old 08-24-2003, 04:08 PM
NitroMedic

Default Thanks, Old Guy!!

Hey Old guy,

Thanks for your response!! Can I get that ESC from Tower Hobbies? I'm lookin' to put it on a Catamaran.

Thanks again,
Shayne
Old 09-05-2003, 01:38 AM
SLOWBOAT-N

Default ESC for Tow Motors

Hi All
Well I might have to change my handle from slowboat'n.
Got my Mod's done to the Super H about a week ago, and didn't have a chance to try it until tonight.

The main mod. was wiring the batteries in series, and adding the Astoflight ESC.
If you recall I'm running two 550 motors, with two battery packs, and was concerned about the ESC being able to handle them.
Well I can tell you (No Problem).
This is really exciting to me, being new to R/C boats. My first attempt to run the Super H left me a bit disappointed, as it went no where near as fast as I thought it should.

Got to the pond with some fresh charged batteries, for my after mod. run, put the boat in the water, pushed the throttle about 1/2 to check steering trim. Everything checked out OK. Lined the boat up in the pond and mashed the throttle. Wow. Was not ready for this. The Boat shot out a rooster tail, the motors wound up for a few seconds, then the prop hooked up, and that thing was gone. I can't take turns at full speed now. I est. that the speed has at least doubled.

Stopped , only cause the batteries were drained, to check for problems. Motors were warm, not hot. The ESC was warm, not hot. The batteries were the hottest things inside, but I expected them to heat.

So as for the Astroflight 207D, I think they have something that seems to work well with a two motor setup. No Reverse, but if you watch your docking you don't need it.

Special thanks to SEABISCUIT, for all the help you gave me on this project. Got a boat with some getup & go now.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:00 PM
NitroMedic

Default SWEET!!!!

Hey Slowboat'n,

I'm really glad to see everything is working out for the better with this new set-up! It sounds like you have a winning combination now! Can you hook me up with a website as to where you purchased your ESC? Also, pics of your new "toy" would be much appreciated? I always like to see what other peeps are running.

Thanks again,
Shayne
Old 09-05-2003, 08:51 PM
SLOWBOAT-N

Default re: ESC

Hi Nitro
I ordered the 207D ESC right from Astroflight. The web address is www.astroflight.com
With shipping it was around $91.00

I've never been good at remembering to take pictures of my toys over the years. I will see if I can get that done soon.
If I get some pic's. I'll have to figure out how to post them. I haven't done that yet, but should be able to figure it out.

My Super H is not the orange with Decals slapped on. Painted the Hull white and the deck blue. Doesn't look to bad that way.

Well enough about that. You wanted info. on the ESC.

Working good so far. If anything comes up I'll let you all know.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:20 PM
Pagemaster

Default RE: re: ESC

Take a look at the Rc Hydros's line of esc's. They are fully water proof and take a beating. They are race proven and hold many records.

Steven Vaccaro
www.OffshoreElectrics.com
Old 09-25-2003, 11:06 AM
BACKEMF

Default RE: ESC For 2 Motors??

Hi Iam new to this forum but I am an experienced E/P boat racer. Hydro's, Mono's Etc...
The above posts are fine but one of the best speed controls for Fast Electric boats comes from either Astro-Flght, the 212d for up to 12 cells and tons of current from 2 Modified 05 car motors, or an RC-Hydro's Control, they have many to chose from. The Astro 207 is good but a bit of an overkill unless you want to run more than 12 cells.
Novaks speed controls are good but expensive and not waterproof!! This is a boat remember! I have pulled a 60/65 amp load in a 1:25 race. That's 1 Minute 25 seconds.
on the Astro 212D. And start sugres way up to the 100+ Amp range on a Plettenberg 290-30/4 turn motor(more than two 05 modifieds). No problem.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:45 PM
NitroMedic

Hi Ray,

Thank you so much for responding. It looks like you know good n' well what you're talking about! I think I'm gonna get an ESC from AstroFlight for my son's Catamaran. He'll be running twin 10T-Doubles from Reedy Modifieds. The way it sounds, I think I can find everything I'm looking for on that site.

Thanks again,
Shayne
Old 09-27-2003, 10:39 AM
sixtypluscarptknife

oh here is what u do buy two monster pros by trinity and a evx speed control and get the water cooling kit for it it will be fast
Old 10-15-2003, 07:39 PM
losi_rally

the speed conrtol from the E-Maxx will only handle down two 19 turns but running 2 7 cell battery packs should help with speed.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:55 PM
NitroMedic

Good evening my friends,

Ok, I just ordered a 207D ESC for $89.95 from Astroflight. It has 75 continuous running amps with no motor limit. I think this will handle two 10-T Reedys'. Thanks for everyones' help. Looking forward to sharing more info & feedback with you all.

Thanks again,
Shayne'o
Old 10-16-2003, 07:30 PM
SLOWBOAT-N

Nitro
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 207D.
Mine is still working fine, and remains cool after running. More than I can say for the batteries.
The controller has no problems handling the load.
After you get the Esc up and running let me know how you like or dislike it.
Oh depending what radio your using, bench test it first. I had to reverse my throttle servo direction on the transmitter. Plugged it in turned on the recvr. and transmitter it went to full throttle.
Starting to get to cold here to run many more days.
Have fun.
Keep on Boat-n.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:51 PM
NitroMedic

Heyyyy SlowBoatBro,

I'm really lookin' forward to gettin' her fired up with the new ESC! About the radio, I'm running an Airtronics FM 3-channel. I do have the digital capabilities to switch servos from normal to reverse, along with about 12 other features. LOL I love my Airtronics! It's cheap, yet, versatile.

Speaking of cold weather, it's only gotten down to 53 degress here. I'm looking SO forward to the end of the year. We're going to Denver, CO for the very 1st time. But even in CO, I'm probably going to bring my electric heli just to play with in the condo. It's ashame that something (R/C) can be this addictive. LOL

Thanks for the feedback,
Shayne
Old 10-22-2003, 12:57 PM
NitroMedic

Hey SlowBoatDude,

Ok, here's the deal. I have my Astroflight 207D ESC but the old "Tamiya" connectors of course, do NOT match up. How did you wire your batteries up to the ESC? Did you have to build your own battery packs? Where can I get some of those little connectors that are on the ends of the 207D? Pics would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the "dumb" questions.

Thanks a million,
Shayne[]
Old 10-22-2003, 07:03 PM
SLOWBOAT-N

Nitro
I cut the connector off the ESC, and attached one that would mate to the battery connector. I know I know the Tamiya connectors suck, but I didn't take the time to locate the other connectors.
I would E-mail Astroflight to find out what connector they use, if your local hobby shop doesn't know.

I have built two "Y" harnesses. One is for parallel battery wiring when I just want to putt around. The other "Y' harness connects the batteries in series for when I want some speed.

When running Two packs. 7.2volt
Parallel connection is positive(RED) to positive , and negetive(BLACK) to negetive so you have both battery pack reds going to the red on the ESC, and both battery blacks going to the black of the ESC. This gives the same volts 7.2v but doubles the milamp capacity, so you can run longer.

Series connection is one packs Positive (red) connected to the others negetive (black)then the black on the first pack to the ESC black, and the red on the second to the ESC red. This doubles the volts to 14.4v, but the milamp stays the same as if it were one pack. More speed with series, but the batteries will get HOT.
I haven't had the time to take others advice on building custom packs, with heavy tie bars yet, but it looks like a winter project now anyway.

One thing, and I'm glad I followed SeaBiscuits advice on this one.
Make sure you put a 25 or 30 amp fuse inline ahead of the ESC somewhere.
I used the Auto type small flat fuse, and the connectors can be got at most auto part or radio shack stores.
It should be put on the positive (RED) wire going to the ESC.
Sorry I don't have any pictures to help you.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:00 PM
NitroMedic

Hey SlowBoatBro,

Man, you have alot of useful info there. I like the dual battery pack & the auto fuse ideas! Thanks for sharing those! Today, I ordered a Tamiya connector for AstroFlights' black connectors on the 207D. The other problem I had was the bullet connectors coming from the 2 Reedy motors. For that, I ordered a couple Astro connectors and in cutting the "bullets" off the red & black motor wires, this will allow me to connect directly to the ESC from the motor. What method did you use?

Thanks again, for the valuable info & insight!

Shayne
Old 10-24-2003, 04:18 PM
SLOWBOAT-N

Nitro
My Super Hawii has two seperate compartments. One for the Motors, and One for the radio gear.
I have ring terminals on my motor leads, and put ring terminals on the Esc leads to the motors.
There are brass screws going through the bulkhead between the two compartments. I just attach the red motor leads to one screw, and the black leads to the other. On the other side (radio side) I attach the red. and black from the ESC, and tighten the nuts on the screws.
Makes for a nice clean wiring set up. The screws have insulating washers between the plastic bulkhead, and terminals on the wires to stop heat from melting the plastic.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:20 PM
big_ stik_ 40

I used an electrifly esc from great planes on a 25-30 lb tugboat. ( most of that weight is ballast!) It runs off of a large electric motor that I think originally was powering windshield wipers. I am putting close to 16 volts into it, and the esc hasn't even been warm after 2 and a half hours of constant running. (the boat's battery only dropped 2 volts during that time, and I quit only because my transmitter batteries were really low!) This is in a slower, high torque type of setup. I'll bet the esc could easily handle 2 packs and two motors, but I'm not sure about 10's. This would probably be the cheapest option, because it only costs 35-40 bucks. The only bad part is there is no reverse.
Sorry if this is no help, but it worked for me, and it was cheap!!
Old 11-03-2003, 08:51 AM
Pagemaster

One thing, and I'm glad I followed SeaBiscuits advice on this one.
Make sure you put a 25 or 30 amp fuse inline ahead of the ESC somewhere.
Why the fuse? A good set of twin motors will pull more than 30 amps easy!

Also the astro connectors are nice but they are very expensive. The Deans are cheaper and
have less resistance.

Steven Vaccaro
www.OffshoreElectrics.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.