Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Genesis - Hull Only - Rest of hardware needed.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Genesis - Hull Only - Rest of hardware needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:51 AM
BearPaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genesis - Hull Only - Rest of hardware needed.

Since Genesis Offshore can not be shipped to my country due to size/weight constrains of our postal system, I was thinking to order hull only version.
Here comes tricky part. I am a boat newbie, and need help what else should I order with Genesis (which rudder, which drive shaft, strut, nuts...) in order to give life to the hull.
Servo I plan to use:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16266
Motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4937
or
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5146
Esc will choose later.
So for this setup, I need advice for rest of the hardware needed. Also it would be great if everything would be from hobbyking. Also would prefer cheaper variant (who won't).
Twin powered systems also acceptable.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Von Ohain

Default RE: Genesis - Hull Only - Rest of hardware needed.

Dont use that KB, its too heavy and ineficcient.
I have no experience with the HXT, but being a very cheap and unknown brand, I doubt it will match up with what Im going to suggest for you:
Leopard.
Those motors are the best things that ever happened to my hobby since I started doing electric.
They are utterly amazing, and they still cost just a fraction of what expensive brands does, allthough a little more costly than HK motors.

How many cells are you planning on using?
Those motors you suggested yourself are not suited at all for the same cell count number, one being 1600Kv, and the other being 2700 Kv.

Personally, I would got for a 1600Kv, and 6 cells. 6 cells is a "magical" limit, everything more than that gets costly, as you need HV regulators.
Everything less is just less than you can get without a big budget. And I dont want less. I want more.

Based on the assumption that you are going to use 6 cells, I recommend this motor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/leopard-LBP4082-...item43a724502b

And for ESC, go for the Turnigy/Seaking 180A. They got it at Hobbyking too. Thats the cheapest ESC that work properly out of the box.
You can also get the much cheaper Suppo (Hobbyking SS series) 200A to work, but it requires a little fixing, as its flawed out of the box.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:33 PM
BearPaw

Thank you for fast answer. I will think about it.

There are a lot of threads speaking about motor/esc/battery configuration, but a few about struts, nuts, flex shafts, rudders etc.

If we put battery/motor/esc aside (will use some of the motors mentioned in my previous post or even Leopard), what else should I order (which rudder, which drive shaft...) to get this boat going...

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:36 AM
Von Ohain

Good question, i have never given it a thought. I have always bough hulls were running hardware were in place, and then just used the stock.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBBY-HOT-Ship-1...item41560197ee
I believe thats the stock rudder for the Genesis. It looks like it from the pictures (they are avaible in several dimensions, i dont kbow ig the Genesis has exactly the 110mm one).
In addition, you need a 4mm flex shaft a tube to run the flex shaft inside, and a 5mm motor shaft to 4mm flex shaft coupler (if you got for a Leopard).
the KB has 6mm motor shaft, and im not sure about the HXT. Make sure to get a coupler that fits according to your motor choice.

You also need motor mounts, cooling jacket and a propeller.
a 38mm - 40mm prop is good I think, for a 6s 1600Kv setup.
Cooling jacket and motor mounts depends again, on motor choice.
The Leo i suggested needs 40mm I/D cooling jacket, and 25mm screw spacing motor mount.
TheKB needs 45mm cooling jacket, not sure about motor mount.
HXT nees to cooling jacket, and i guess 25mm spacing on screws for motor mount.