Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

I want to build a boat

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

I want to build a boat

Old 06-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Zanek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to build a boat

Hello.

I am pretty new here, but have some experience in building inanimate model boats. I want to build an rc one. Mini size like 10-25 inches long. ANy plans/suggestions on what I should make? I want to go FAST. But not race.

Thanks, Zane
Old 06-16-2011, 06:21 PM
BACKEMF

Default RE: I want to build a boat

Do you want to buy the hull or build it?

I would suggest a new boat from offshore electrics, the Deltaforce 23 or Mini Storm. I have the DF23 hull to build and it is beautiful. I owned the rtr DF23 and sold it. The guy I sold it to got it to 50mph on 4S lipo and a Leopard 2860 -2550Kv motor.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...sniper&cat=123

Video... sick! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHq9h78pFEE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ca81483.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1624235  
Old 06-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Zanek

I would like to build it, but would also be open to getting a  hull.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Zanek

Old 06-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Zanek

Old 06-17-2011, 05:30 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd agree with Ray. Go for that hull and drop a 540 S sized motor in there on 2s LiPo. What speed in km/h or mph are you aiming for.

Ryan
Old 06-17-2011, 06:12 AM
Zanek

ORIGINAL: ryan_t888

I'd agree with Ray. Go for that hull and drop a 540 S sized motor in there on 2s LiPo. What speed in km/h or mph are you aiming for.

Ryan
What a really want to do is build it, and have a project. Like with wood. I would like to get probably 30mph. I have a traxxas Velineon system (550 brushless motor and 150 amp esc) the could be made watercooled for the ocasion or I could get some other electronics.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:28 AM
electric45

Here is an off the wall suggestion:
http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....ffea3666bfcce0

These boats are thought to be for just experienced people. But, if you just build it like they tell you and with a little help on the electronics you can basically have an extremely fast boat at small price and the kits are all wood. You build them. Great instructions with them and lots of knowledge about using them out there. You could get the "mini"version and for 109.00 you have EVERYTHING YOU NEED hardware and wood to build it. Even the shaft and the prop. You will still need to purchase a motor, esc, servo and radio. The motor, esc and servo can be had for roughly 50 - 60 bucks. The boat will go about 35mpy - 40mph. AND it uses cheap(small) batteries.

The bigger model can go as slow or fast as you want it. Seriously. You can set it up for low 30's or high 70's. No kidding. Iown both boats. I am going to be trying out the big one this weekend and the little one hopefully to.

Again, probably not what you were thinking of, but thougt Iwould give you a different option.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Zanek

ORIGINAL: electric45

Here is an off the wall suggestion:
http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....ffea3666bfcce0

These boats are thought to be for just experienced people. But, if you just build it like they tell you and with a little help on the electronics you can basically have an extremely fast boat at small price and the kits are all wood. You build them. Great instructions with them and lots of knowledge about using them out there. You could get the "mini"version and for 109.00 you have EVERYTHING YOU NEED hardware and wood to build it. Even the shaft and the prop. You will still need to purchase a motor, esc, servo and radio. The motor, esc and servo can be had for roughly 50 - 60 bucks. The boat will go about 35mpy - 40mph. AND it uses cheap(small) batteries.

The bigger model can go as slow or fast as you want it. Seriously. You can set it up for low 30's or high 70's. No kidding. Iown both boats. I am going to be trying out the big one this weekend and the little one hopefully to.

Again, probably not what you were thinking of, but thougt Iwould give you a different option.
Those do look cool, but I really do want to build my boat from scratch.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You might want to check out a "Wild Thing" and see if it is in the ball park of what you are looking for
Old 06-17-2011, 10:13 PM
Hesco Racing

Check out this thread might be helpful

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_71..._1/key_/tm.htm

Cobus
Old 06-18-2011, 05:18 AM
Zanek

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

You might want to check out a "Wild Thing" and see if it is in the ball park of what you are looking for
Yes. Thank you. I poked around the area of modelpowerboats.com where the wildthing plans are and I found plans for the attached picture. I think I will make a scaled down version of that. You wouldn't have a chart that shows boat length versus motor size would you? Or any idea what motor I should have for what length boat of that style?

Thanks, Zane

Old 06-19-2011, 07:08 PM
ryan_t888

www.radiocontrolinfo.com is a good read. Or the sticky on this forum. Both are my write ups. It's mainly for hulls that are at least around 25" or so. I'd suggest building larger vs building smaller. It's generally better for everything.

Ryan
Old 06-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Zanek

www.radiocontrolinfo.com is a good read. Or the sticky on this forum. Both are my write ups. It's mainly for hulls that are at least around 25" or so. I'd suggest building larger vs building smaller. It's generally better for everything.

Ryan
You can read minds. I decided to build my boat to 25". I have 25" plans printed so your writup will be perfect
Old 06-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Zanek

Ryan
You can read minds. I decided to build my boat to 25". I have 25" plans printed so your writup will be perfect
Old 06-19-2011, 07:40 PM
ryan_t888

Excellent. I've sold off all my hulls smaller than 34" in length. The smaller hulls are just not stable enough for me any more.

On the site I have specifics for hull setups. I'm pretty sure I have 3 of the 5 hull types completed thus far.

I'd suggest giving it a read then pop back on this thread with your options possible options.

Ryan
Old 06-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Zanek

I have been looking at various motors. After reading the brushless motor section I immediately thought that this motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5146 would be better suited to my boat than a 1/8 car motor with water cooling. I am just going to read the other parts now.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Zanek

I read the cell count section. Do you think that 2s lipo or 4s lipo would be better? I have one of each. I also have up to 4 8.4 volt NiMh packs. I would like to go pretty fast (30-40mph). My boat is a 25" mono hull. It is less than 8 inches wide.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Zanek

I read the prop and driveshafts section. Kindof confused. How about this: I will finish making the hull, will be done by the end of August, and then could I ask you to help me find some drivetrains and a prop for it? 

Thanks, Zane
Old 06-19-2011, 08:08 PM
ryan_t888

You will be able to get either 2s or 4s up to 40mph. My 2s rigger went 53mph in oval race trim. However that was a rigger hull.

If you went 2s you can parallel 2 2s packs together to get additional run time. It's easier placing two packs in a mono hull to balance it out.
If you went 4s, you would want to place 2 2s packs in series for the same reason. The packs are best placed on the outside of the stringers.

It is possible to balance 1 pack, however it is a lot more difficult.

What's confusing about those sections? I will fix anything that is confusing on the page. It would be best selecting everything from motor to prop before purchasing anything.

Ryan
Old 06-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Zanek

You will be able to get either 2s or 4s up to 40mph. My 2s rigger went 53mph in oval race trim. However that was a rigger hull.

If you went 2s you can parallel 2 2s packs together to get additional run time. It's easier placing two packs in a mono hull to balance it out.
If you went 4s, you would want to place 2 2s packs in series for the same reason. The packs are best placed on the outside of the stringers.

It is possible to balance 1 pack, however it is a lot more difficult.

What's confusing about those sections? I will fix anything that is confusing on the page. It would be best selecting everything from motor to prop before purchasing anything.

Ryan
Only thing that is confusing me is prop size. There is not much of an indicator. What do you recomend for 4s lipo on a 25" deep vee?

Old 06-19-2011, 08:26 PM
ryan_t888

Prop Size varies too much to be specific. That's why I constantly say to ask if unsure. It's often the final decision for a power system and can often make or break the setup. Choose the wrong one and your new system will be nothing but smoke.

To be honest, 4s in a 25" hull is a lot of power. If you wish to go this route, utilizing the system that comes with the Aquacraft SuperVee 27 on a 40mm prop would work well. This would be as much power as I'd use on a 25" mono.

Ryan
Old 06-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Zanek

Prop Size varies too much to be specific. That's why I constantly say to ask if unsure. It's often the final decision for a power system and can often make or break the setup. Choose the wrong one and your new system will be nothing but smoke.

To be honest, 4s in a 25" hull is a lot of power. If you wish to go this route, utilizing the system that comes with the Aquacraft SuperVee 27 on a 40mm prop would work well. This would be as much power as I'd use on a 25" mono.

Ryan
Thank you. I will consult you again before buying any of the power system, in about 2 months. Thanks again for the help