Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Zippkits Easy Vee Alternate power

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Zippkits Easy Vee Alternate power

Old 12-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Pettee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zippkits Easy Vee Alternate power

HiAll,

I am new here, and have been doing research extensively to find the right kit for me. It looks like I am going with the Easy Vee kit, however I want to modify it, and create a Center Console.I understand it will change the dynamics of it, CG, Etc Etc, so I will need to work all of that out. Moving batteries and servos around to achieve the proper balancing. However after reading the instructions thoroughly online, It does not seem impossible, especially with, literrally, all the time in the world to build it.

With the conversion, I am wanting to swap out the idea of a Gas Powered engine, for 2 electric powered outboards from Pro-Boat. *they are the only ones I have seen, if there are others, please direct me to them*

I posted this in the general section, but decided to dedicate a thread to it here. Having done some research, I am looking at running each outboard with a Leapord 1700kv motor. I had figured on running a 6S lipo to each motor. I am not sure on the props, I will need to do research, as I only have experience with props on my boat, and not miniature ones.

With a hull length of 48", and a weight of 10-15 pounds, do you think that it will be adequate power for it?Will also be run in salt water-exclusively-so I may have to find a way to rig the ESC to cool itself, as I dont know if salt water will be good for a water cooled ESC.

Anyway-ideas, tips, advice, am I nuts for attempting, etc etc???I am all ears.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:10 PM
blizard05

Default RE: Zippkits Easy Vee Alternate power

Did you check out the V box? It would give you more room to work with
Old 12-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Pettee

I have not seen any pictures of it, but I am assuming it looks much like the regular crackerbox, but with a V hull. It is definitely an alternative, and would provide more room like you stated. Downside, at least to me, is losing the "Go Fast" Center Console look I was hoping for-such as Nor-Tech, Fountain, Donzi, etc. Basically a miniature SKA fishing boat.

The extra 4" beam would give me quite a bit more room to work with, espeically when making the console portion. Large enough where I could possibly house some radio equipment in it .

I will have to look into the kit a little more.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:29 PM
andybenton

in answer to your question on running in saltwater...

salt water wont hurt your boat at all provided you take care to follow proper after run procedures.

for startes salt is corosive, so your outboards, and any other hardware on the outside of the boat will need to be washed with clean water.
the same goes for the cooling system....

home depot has ball valves that go on your hose, grab one of those and an apropriate sized threaded pvc cap, and an extra pressure nipple, and put it all together. then all youll have to do is hook the rig up to your hose, then take your water inlet line off of the boat, and plug it into the cooling rig and regulate the flow with the ball valve....

that rig is also great for checking for leaks in your cooling system....

after cleaning anything that came into contact with salty stuff. its a good idea to spray wd-40 in the cooling inlet also....

also, dont forget, youll need to grease the outboards more frequantly than you would if you ran in freshwater... ill let the outboard guys recomend how often you should grease it.

your number one enemy with all water, but more so with salt water is corrosion. and these after run procedures will definatly fight the corrosion effectivly...

if theres anything ive left out, im sure others will pick up the slack, good luck with your project, and dont forget to post lots of pictures XD

happy boating, and welcome to the forum!
andy
Old 12-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Pettee

Thanks Andy,

Basically, the same after care I do for my real boat, miniturized. I am really looking forward to the project, just want all my ducks in a row first.
Is there a way to run both motors off of the same ESC, so that they stay in sync?Or should I look at doing 2 ESC's with a Y-Harness to the receiver?

And lastly, is it possible to run theport motor in reverse, acting as a counter rotating prop to offset any propwalk?
Old 12-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Goldenduff

Hello Pettee,

I'm a plane guy, thankfuly not literaly but a few things Ihave thought of.

Many folk use corosion x on water plane ESCs etc- a wd40 type product but Ithink a bit thicker- you spray on ESC and other electrics every so often and it forms a protective film.

Ihave run two plane motors on one ESC with no problems on several occasions and never had a problem. Many folk don't believe me as the timings are regulated by feedback from motor to ESC- apparantly you need an ESC for each feedback/motor (shhh, don't tell my motors that!!!!)-
Iwould trial it with one, on land, but be prepared to buy another (unless there is a buy one get one free or shipping etc is expensive)

Finally regarding counter-rotating props- to reverse brushless rotation just swap any two wires from ESC to motor around and that's that (other than turning the prop around too-if you can do that with boats?!!)

Cheers, post a pic?
Old 12-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Pettee

Golden-

ThankYou. I wasnt sure if you could just swap the wires. I figured as much, but was not positive. They make props that are designed for counter-rotation. So there is no problem there.

I did airplanes for years. When I move farther up the island chain in a few years, I will get back into them. But right now, I have no room for them. I want to get my son involved in the RC hobby early on, as it is a great hobby to build confidence and teach patience and technical skills. Plus, there are some days when it is just to windy to fish!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:33 AM
andybenton

heres a link to a diagram that will help you pick a way to wire your motors.

this website also has a bunch of great parts, hulls motors, escs, darn near anything you could want, from hulls to nuts and bolts, also they have a tips/tricks section. which is a handy little page. 

Enjoy 
Andy
Old 12-09-2011, 11:38 AM
andybenton

i shouldve re-read your post,

brushless motors cant be run off of the same controller, at least not generally, im sure someone out there has done it sucessfully, but i have not.

the easiest way is just to Y harness two controllers into the reciever, the good part of doing this (provided you get programable controllers) is that you can somewhat fine tune the two of them to get the running well in sync. 

just my two cents, 

if you decide to use two controllers, make sure you dissable one of the controllers BEC to make sure you dont over power your RX. 

Old 12-09-2011, 11:55 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Pettee

Hi All,

I am new here, and have been doing research extensively to find the right kit for me. It looks like I am going with the Easy Vee kit, however I want to modify it, and create a Center Console. I understand it will change the dynamics of it, CG, Etc Etc, so I will need to work all of that out. Moving batteries and servos around to achieve the proper balancing. However after reading the instructions thoroughly online, It does not seem impossible, especially with, literrally, all the time in the world to build it.

With the conversion, I am wanting to swap out the idea of a Gas Powered engine, for 2 electric powered outboards from Pro-Boat. *they are the only ones I have seen, if there are others, please direct me to them*

I posted this in the general section, but decided to dedicate a thread to it here. Having done some research, I am looking at running each outboard with a Leapord 1700kv motor. I had figured on running a 6S lipo to each motor. I am not sure on the props, I will need to do research, as I only have experience with props on my boat, and not miniature ones.

With a hull length of 48'', and a weight of 10-15 pounds, do you think that it will be adequate power for it? Will also be run in salt water-exclusively-so I may have to find a way to rig the ESC to cool itself, as I dont know if salt water will be good for a water cooled ESC.

Anyway-ideas, tips, advice, am I nuts for attempting, etc etc??? I am all ears.

hey bro, what speeds are you after?
1700kv on 6s is a good amount of rpms
and you will need 2 escs with a Y harness
you cannot run one of the motors in reverse for the counter rotating prop, unless you get the proper flex cable, one that is wound in the opposite direction
it will unwind with a normal flex cable
Old 12-10-2011, 01:23 AM
Pettee

If I could maintain the 50 mph or so that the kit is known for w/the gas engine I would be happy. I am not overly concerned with the counter-rotating props, it was just a thought that I had while looking through everything.

Do you think the 1700kv will spin to fast with the 6s?

Old 12-10-2011, 02:47 AM
Goldenduff

Just thought re counter rotating props... If you are using a flexi shaft (wound wire cable) make sure it is installed so it does not unwind!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Pettee

If I could maintain the 50 mph or so that the kit is known for w/the gas engine I would be happy. I am not overly concerned with the counter-rotating props, it was just a thought that I had while looking through everything.

Do you think the 1700kv will spin to fast with the 6s?

yeah like I stated yesterday, running reverse on a flex shaft not ment for it will unwind and come apart..

if you have 6s already, I would go with something close to 1300kv
if not go 4s on those motors..
I bet with the right size props, 50mph is very doable

and are you thinking 4082 leopards?