Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

47inch deep v?

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

47inch deep v?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Ozpulse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 47inch deep v?

What size motor would be good for a 47inch deep v mono?
First elec. setup so not sure where to start.

Cheers.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:08 AM
Old Sloppy

Default RE: 47inch deep v?

it depends, you need to give us more information like what top speed and your expenses, if you wish to race etc.

I have a 50" Aeromarine Apache with a Lehner 2280/15 that with a x646/3 prop runs 48 mph.

in the video I had old Nimh cells, so the speeds were slower at that time.

Please understand this is a low amp draw setup, intended for very long run times with a 5,000 mah 12 cell Lipo.

I allso use a Castle HV2 200 amp marine ESC with reverse.

this motor is running at about half power with my setup, it will last forever.......and ever......but my goal was a easy running, cool running sport setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGS_1BNNk68

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5rHu0tqvVvE

Harry
Old 05-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

Castle 2028. Big boat, shes needs a lot of motor. 8s2p or 9s2p.
ORIGINAL: Ozpulse

What size motor would be good for a 47inch deep v mono?
First elec. setup so not sure where to start.

Cheers.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Old Sloppy

Diesel is right, if you want to race.....Castle 2028 is a 9 cell motor,

Plus you can fan cool it..........................

My 2028 (in my HPI 5SC) draws 156 amps on 4 cells.

It is WILD on 8 cells...

So what do you want to do, Sport or Race ?

Harry
Old 05-19-2012, 04:32 AM
Ozpulse

Sorry I took so long to get back to you guys, its not actually my boat it belongs to the guy at my local Xmoto/hobby shop.
He has never set up a boat (gas plane guy)before and has asked for my help but my experience is limited to running boats with modded weedy engines.
It was one of those chinese RTR boats with the cheap watercooled gas engine but he sold the engine to someone and wanted to set it up with electric so as not to annoy people with a screaming 2 stroke.
He is not after a race boat but wants a moderately fast play boat. I think he has 2 big lipo 2s packs that he was going to use but he has no idea on watercooled motors etc.
It still has the 1/4 flex drive and all the running gear minus the 2 stroke.
Any help is great, thanks again guys.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

2 big 2s packs is not going to work., regardless of their size and mah, the voltage (or lack their of) isa issue.The amp draw be out of control. The kv would have to be something in the 1600-2000kv for 4s to be an option which leads to3 issues:
1) not enough torque for a hull that big
2) high amp draw
3) prop would have to be on the small side which means the hull would cavatate

Unless you go with something like a larger outrunner you maybe able to get away with something like a 6s setup at the min, but if its a old gas hull Ihave a feeling it will be rather heavy which leads to issues with that. If he actually want's to build a quality and solid reliable boat a CC2028 is going to be the answer. A large Leopard 5698 may fit the bill, wouldn't have the power the 2020 could put out, but it should run have decent. A 4s setup is not an option at all though. please stress that point!

* The old primative thinking "mah is just a gas tank" thinking will get folks into a lot of trouble in boating, it's much more then that and when dealing with FE boats especially large ones it's all about amp draw and making sure your packs can deliver enough amps to the system which is why the majority of all larger boats are 2p setups.

ORIGINAL: Ozpulse

Sorry I took so long to get back to you guys, its not actually my boat it belongs to the guy at my local Xmoto/hobby shop.
He has never set up a boat (gas plane guy)before and has asked for my help but my experience is limited to running boats with modded weedy engines.
It was one of those chinese RTR boats with the cheap watercooled gas engine but he sold the engine to someone and wanted to set it up with electric so as not to annoy people with a screaming 2 stroke.
He is not after a race boat but wants a moderately fast play boat. I think he has 2 big lipo 2s packs that he was going to use but he has no idea on watercooled motors etc.
It still has the 1/4 flex drive and all the running gear minus the 2 stroke.
Any help is great, thanks again guys.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:32 AM
Ozpulse

Ok, my mistake!
He has 2 large 11.1v 5300mah 3s lipo's he wants to run, so thats where we need to start.
is that any better?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:44 AM
clockworkclock

6S is much more favorable then 4S, but he would be even better off with maybe a third pack but 2s perhaps.
On the bigger hulls your options become quite limited awfully quick.
Since he doesn't want a race boat he can get away with a little more.
Maybe the castle 2028, or a neu 1527 I think.
you can go up to the neu 22xx series I believe they are called.
There are lehner motor charts somewhere you can look at.
I don't know too much about them, I think they are more expensive then their NEUcounterparts.
For an ESC you might be interested in a fightercat, they are expensive but are more powerful then the castle esc's
I put a 8s 300A esc in my boat, 40" works like a dream.
You might want the same or just a little more.
The prices are available at the fightercat website but you can only look at the prices once you make an account and sign in.
The ESC's are expensive but you get more esc for your dollar then for most any other name brand ESC.
Clock.