Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Teflon liner question

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Teflon liner question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Hp88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teflon liner question

Do you guys run your Teflon liner into your strut or stop it at the stuffing tube?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:10 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Teflon liner question

My brass tube runs into the strut or stinger.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 AM
Hp88

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

My brass tube runs into the strut or stinger.
My stuffing tube want fit in the strut, just the the flex shaft and liner.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:08 AM
martno1fan

Ok just put the liner in there should be fine,i think most struts are made to accept shaft tubes but the ones with a liner are a tad bigger,Just checked the ones i sell they fit inside the stinger fine in fact theyre loose but too big for the strut but the liner fits pretty snug so i think thats how id do it just run the liner into the strut.
Mart
Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Dan S

I don't run Teflon liners in any of my boats.

Dan.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Hp88

Ok just put the liner in there should be fine,i think most struts are made to accept shaft tubes but the ones with a liner are a tad bigger,Just checked the ones i sell they fit inside the stinger fine in fact theyre loose but too big for the strut but the liner fits pretty snug so i think thats how id do it just run the liner into the strut.
Mart
Cheers mate, yeh the liner fits nice and snug and will allow for some angle and up, down adjustment of the strut.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 PM
area51fe

this is what i do,i cut a portion of the brass tubing that will fit into the stinger,run the teflon tubing into the cut brass tubing.the tubing should look like 2 pieces of brass tubing on eachside of the teflon but the shortest brasss tubing that you cut for the stinger will be placed into the stinger and the other portion should run through the hull leaving the teflon portion coming out of the transom just a bit where adjustability wont be compromised.

the brass tubing coming out of the transom should be epoxied at the exit hole of the transom where only the teflon should be exposed coming out. this works for me where i dont need to do any crazy modification.this will allow the stinger or strut to mve freely up and down easily without the brass tubing playing a stiff role in your setup. pm me for pics. i can show you what i done
Old 12-08-2012, 01:05 AM
martno1fan

Never epoxy or permenantly fix a stuffing tube at the transom or you wont have much if any adjustability.The way to do it is first make the hole a slot up and down to allow full adjustment then use silicone to seal the hole,this holds the tube and still allows some up and down movement,fixing it permenatntly is not a good idea ,some boats liike the stinger or strut position as low as possible some like it as much as 3/4" up and you wont know untill youve tested it so if its fixed your screwed.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:09 AM
Hp88

Never epoxy or permenantly fix a stuffing tube at the transom or you wont have much if any adjustability.The way to do it is first make the hole a slot up and down to allow full adjustment then use silicone to seal the hole,this holds the tube and still allows some up and down movement,fixing it permenatntly is not a good idea ,some boats liike the stinger or strut position as low as possible some like it as much as 3/4" up and you wont know untill youve tested it so if its fixed your screwed.
Thats what i am going to do with my stuffing tube, it just makes sense that you need a stuffing tube that has some movement other wise you get very little up and down adjustment.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:51 AM
martno1fan

Also use the next size up tubing to semi fix in place and slide your flex tube into this means you can remove the tube easy if needed and less mess.By the way a better sealant i found is polycarbonate sealer its seems stronger than silicone.
Mart