Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Super Hawaii Build - Dual Outdrives

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Super Hawaii Build - Dual Outdrives

Old 12-02-2012, 05:29 AM
birdo

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Super Hawaii Build - Dual Outdrives

Hello all,

I will begin my Super Hawaii build that started this summer when I got a New In Box Super Hawaii boat off eBay. This was the boat I received on my 10th birthday. Ihad always wanted to add the silly dual outdrives that it had on the box pictures. Iknow this will not be the best speed performance upgrade, but the nostalgia behind finally owning a dual outdrive Super Hawaii is too high.

I have found a 2nd complete Super Hawaii as the donor boat. I will put up my pics soon.

Did anybody else own this boat?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 AM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Hawaii Build - Dual Outdrives

Yes, i have a ?. How is the condition of boat? I had an old hydro which turned yellow from age in box. I tried to build up the structure but plastic wouldn't hold up of a rebuilding. Ifigured the effort in time and money would be well spent on anewer boat. Now the old El-Vee that hobby-lobby had at 31" would be best. The Vee was the ticket andwould do 30 mph with a single 700-8,4 Graupermotor on 12 round cells. I had to beefup the Vee shell but at that time , people also noted their potential for a decent boat with nominal expense. They were correct and brought enjoyment thru the building process. Sorry for being long winded, brought back memories. Have fun and have a good experience.Rose Bowl,LOL!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:55 PM
birdo

~Rose Bowl, I barely follow the Badgers, Packers are my love.

I got the Second Boat today in the mail.  I will part it down and get the pieces I need to complete the build.

I will have a Super Hawaii hull and misc parts left over ($20 hull).  If someone wants them I will gladly sell it for cheap.  It has been painted white on the outside....not my style.  I'll post pics later tonight of everything.  I've had this on hold for some time now.

The plastic on the "good" NIB boat seems Excellent.  It has the tweaked tip like my very first one did right outta the box, so I think its pure

Old 12-03-2012, 05:31 PM

i saw SH on ebay on page 4 that was complete unit for a real super price from Vir Groove, Minnesota. There more to the town name if your interested. Packers won easily against the Vikes! Another boat about the sizes you have now is the Traxxas Villian IV. I have one and is the shell only and i beefed it up with a Ul-1 motor on 4S and a 440 Octura prop and a HK T 120 esc and moves well. Best of luck on your project! Thanks for replying, i appreciate it!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:15 PM
birdo

Old 12-04-2012, 04:44 AM
birdo

I got the donor boat parted down and was checking out the gear sizes and motors used.  The donor boat has 13 tooth pinion gears and the newer one has 16 tooth.  The motors are slightly different, but checking before I started this project ABC Hobby only had a few offerings (20-24 turn, 550).

I'm going to order the balls bearings and thrust bearings to smooth it all out.  I haven't decided on a motor and esc choice yet.  I'm going to have to run water cooling with all these motors and dual speed controls!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:36 PM
enelson4
My Feedback: (1)

Go Packers. Misplaced Badger living in Ohio, but heart never left Wisconsin. I love the old "toy" boats. Currently have a 90s Great Planes Wildcat. Pulled the rusted out brushed motors and replaced with out runner brush less. had to beef up the tub with a couple layers of fiberglass and epoxy. Dual speed controls with dual water inlets and homemade water cooled motor mount. Single center mounted rudder. Great driving boat. Current project is a used B. musculus (blue whale for us midwesterners). Ripped out junk electronics. Installed a water cooled esc for dual brushed motors and added a central rudder and 2.4 HK radio. Its no kids boat any more. runs flat and corners like on rails. No lean and no bounce cornering at WOT. Not competitive with today's hot boats but fast enough to not get boring.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:30 PM
birdo

I ordered the bearings today

x2 - 4x9mm Thrust Bearings
x10  - 4x8mm Ball Bearings
x2 - 4x9mm Ball Bearings

I started looking at brushless setups to replace the brushed.  Thinking one motor per gearbox.

What is equivalent to Dual 550 22 turn motors in terms of brushless?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:55 PM

This is getting interesting and here's something i read lately the with dual props. Run props that toss water outward as it makes boat run smooth. Running props that suck water from out tend to make boat run rough. I think running props inward create turbulance between props. The thing is escs for brushed motors are getting few and far between especially in the low amp escs. I have a ? regarding power for your motors. I'll be reading.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 PM
enelson4
My Feedback: (1)

HK is the only place I've found that has low amp speed controls. I'm running both motors in the BM off a single Turnigy 30 amp with an added cooling plate as that cost less than $8. How long they will have them I don't know. Occasionally they show up at swap meets, but I think most people are throwing them out. Unfortunately most of the cheap boats come with junk integrated receivers and escs, often on 49mh, that immediately fail. Actually, in the Wildcat I went brushless because a pair of out runners with two 50 amp water cooled escs cost less than $50 total from HK. 540 brushed with esc would have been a lot more. Burnt up a couple of 3500kv motors before I dropped to 2250 kv motors. I like the dual motors because the centered rudder then runs in relatively little prop turbulence.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 AM
birdo

Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 AM
birdo

Got all the Bearings installed.  I"m glad I chose to use the 4x9 Bearings instead of the 4x8 with the 8x9 ring.  Thrust Bearings on both units.  I'll need to choose props that are available in left and right hand turns.

I"m still undecided on the motor choice yet.  I've been doing research on Brushless systems, and pricing them out.

Do most boaters now use LiPo or NIMH?
Old 04-02-2021, 03:28 AM
birdo

Bringing myself back from the dead. Who's still on this forum?
Old 04-02-2021, 11:22 AM
Got RPM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, deleteMikeupdelete hasn’t been back to the forum in seven years. Four years for enelson4.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:36 PM
sailorjerry

welcome