Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

series or parrallel?

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

series or parrallel?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:13 PM
shearm1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default series or parrallel?

what is the best way to set up a dual prop and single rudder setup with two lipo batteries in series or parrallel?

cheers
Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Goldenduff

Default RE: series or parrallel?

Not sure of the question. Connect the batteries so that the voltage x kv of motor equals approx 25-30k revs. I beleive selecting the best prop, balance and trim is more of an art.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:20 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It all depends on what you're trying to do, get top end or endurance. If you want top end, you wire the packs in series to get higher voltage, up to the limits of what your speed controller and motor can handle. If you want duration/run time, you wire in parallel. This will give you more amp-hours which will give more run time but at a lower voltage so the top end won't be as high.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:50 AM
siberianhusky

Depends on the KV of the motor and the voltage of the batteries.
With a bit more info like the motor/ esc and battery packs a proper answer can be given.
There is nobody who can PROPERLY tell you what is required until we know a bit more of the setup.
Doubling the voltage to go faster or chopping it in half but doubling capacity is not the way to do things, good advice if you want somebody to burn up their stuff!
Way more to it than that!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:25 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I totally agree, which is why I included the statement about ESC and motor limits. I gave a basic answer to a basic question, no more and no less. I'm not going to say I'm an expert in battery/ESC/motor/prop matching, just someone that has spent 30+ years going through training and getting hand's on experience in electrical troubleshooting and installation of wiring in buildings, avionic system installation and repair in military and commercial jet aircraft and the electrical system in cars. I'll leave the rest of the R/C tech stuff to you that know all