Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

speedboat newbie - first boat, a Traxxas Villain IV

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

speedboat newbie - first boat, a Traxxas Villain IV

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default speedboat newbie - first boat, a Traxxas Villain IV

Hi folks. I am a long time RC'er but am now just "getting my feet wet" in the area of RC boating. I am a sucker for vintage, and had the opportunity to buy an original Villain IV with the optional Traxxas motor cooling coils. I am totally green in boating but have been curious so I "took the plunge" if you will. My RC history includes over 25 years of cars/trucks (mostly offroad, 1/12 to 1/5 electric and nitoro/gas), 5 years of tanks, some heli and planes. I am not afraid of fabrication - have been a professional mechanic and a tinkerer most of my life. My eventual plans include hand building a replica of the speedboats in the Indiana Jones movie.

Anyway, there is not much more on the internet other than the Villain is almost tip-proof, is not that fast and is pretty basic. So it sounds perfect for me to learn on. I have downloaded the manual, blow aparts and all that stuff, but I really would like to know if there is anything that I should know before I start. One thing I am concerned about is how brittle the hull or cover may have gotten since 1985 - any thoughts?

Any advice would be welcome.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1094
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1932890   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	898
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1932892   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpeg
Views:	589
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1932893  
Old 10-29-2013, 07:53 PM
chief3452

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dmon,

The Villain is a great boat to start with. It does require regular after run maintenance, but If you are used to cars this boat will be a breeze. If you decide to hop it up, be prepared for the many options available to you. My suggestion would be to run the boat with the stock components and play with setup...prop angle, battery location and see if you can dial it in. Then if you still feel the need to lite it up! go for a brushless set up, single or twin and have a blast.

Scott