Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Need advice on rebuid of Shockwave 26 EP Rally Sport (Brushed)

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Need advice on rebuid of Shockwave 26 EP Rally Sport (Brushed)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:36 PM
scatteredbitsofplastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on rebuid of Shockwave 26 EP Rally Sport (Brushed)

Hey I need some advise on rebuilding a Shockwave 26 EP Rally Sport (Brushed).

This is the first model from proboat with a FM radio.

First objective: 2.4ghz radio

I can get an Associated 2.4ghz radio w/receiver for $30. Is this OK, or do I need a marine receiver???

The boat has a new "Traxxas 550 Montser" motor, and it could use a new 6-cell Ni-MH battery.

So the first question is can I go ahead and run lipo batteries with the brushed motor and stock ESC??? If so what lipo would be recommended?

What prop swap would be in order?

Once its time to go brushless, what ESC and motor is recommended.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:42 PM
sportygreg
My Feedback: (2)

No need for a marine receiver as long as it stays dry.I take my receivers apart and spray them with corrosion x in case they get wet.Lipo won't work with stock esc unless you use a voltage cutoff for lipo batteries.Unless you change the motor the stock prop should be ok.For brushless'I would go with 1500 kv motor and 45 amp esc from proboat.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:09 PM
scatteredbitsofplastic

The Battery weight, especially in the stock location, has to be a performance killer.

So if there is a voltage cut off between the Batt and ESC I can use a lipo? Can you recommend one?

If so, I think a lipo is the first step. A 3S would cut weight and bump voltage.

The ESC has no numbers or specs on it, but the proboat replacement says 40 amp. and its not water cooled. will it handle a 3S?
Old 06-26-2014, 01:54 PM
sportygreg
My Feedback: (2)

The purpose of the lipo cutoff is to prevent the voltage from getting too low and damsge the battery.Any lipo cutoff should work.Without knowing the voltage capacity of the esc I don't know if it would handle 3s without frying-especially without water cooling.Does the boat run on only 1 battery?If so,you could be pushing the limits of the motor and esc.