Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Issues with short radio range

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Issues with short radio range

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 04:52 PM
Vintage59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Issues with short radio range

Three weeks ago, I jumped back into R.C boating, after being Idle since the late 90's. My last , working runner was a "Hotshot 21" , running a K&B 21 outboard. (Absolutely amazing piece of machinery.) I eventually let the boat go, along with two Dumas boats ; The Drag'N Fly 20, and the Little Swamp buggy, running a modified COX Black Widow , throttled .049. It was quick!, and easy toss into the lake.
Fast forward to today. I got into the PROBOAT Black Jack 24. ABS, (OR maybe just tough plastic? )
Gone, it seems, were mahogany , and marine plywood boats of the Dumas boats, or the Fiberglass Hot Shot boat.
But one constant from all my previous boats, were solid radios, AND never losing connection, regardless of distance.

Ran World Engines and Futaba.

That all changed with the Black Jack, as it was listed as "Ready to run."
Except, the ECX radio that came with the boat, had virtually NO range, and as such, lost the boat,(until rescued), and eventually Dry docked the boat until a better radio solution could be found.
IS the 2.4 Geg hertz band , simply not ideal for marine use? I never had issues with 27 MHZ , or 75 MHZ systems. IS there a better radio system that can replace the stock ECX radio?
I would like to stick to a :Wheel-Type system.

Thanks, and I look forward to feedback, and suggestions?
-Mark-

Last edited by Vintage59; 07-26-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:42 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage59

IS the 2.4 Geg hertz band , simply not ideal for marine use? I never had issues with 27 MHZ , or 75 MHZ systems. All three bands work fine for marine use. The issue with 2.4 is that of reflectivity. Due to the short bandwidth, the 2.4 is more likely to be affected bye this, as many found when the Spectrum first came out. Not knowing anything about the supplied radio system, there could be several issues from poor antenna location to bad battery packs.
IS there a better radio system that can replace the stock ECX radio?
I would like to stick to a :Wheel-Type system.
If you want to go with a different radio system, there are several wheel radio systems out that work well in boats. I personally use a Futaba 4PLS though it does run $250 and comes without battery packs or servos. Been using it to control a scale unlimited for three or four years, never had an issue. Any of the Futaba 2.4 wheel radios should work for you
Thanks, and I look forward to feedback, and suggestions?
-Mark-
I answered in blue in your post. I'm sure others will chime in as well
Old 07-27-2016, 12:53 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The BJ29 is a popular boat with few problems. The OP has an anomaly with his particular radio. My higher end 2.4 radios have ranges exceeding 900 feet (the longest I have measured).

The convenience of the 2.4 radios - no worries about someone else on your frequency, no interference, short antennas, etc make them very popular. So popular that virtually no one makes 27mHz or 72 MHz radios any more. A working 2.4 is a joy to use.