Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

motor wont start

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

motor wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 10:37 AM
Blackjack649

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor wont start

Im having problems with my setup a leopard motor, 220A esc yesterday I was running boat made a big skip drive off about 20ft the prop fell off now it's doing this.motor won't start ESC making a small beeping sound.... no water got into the boat esc did not got wet... thanks guys any help will be appreciated
Old 11-06-2016, 10:41 AM
Patrick125

Check the motor connectors, see if the are making good contact. I had one of the motor plugs on the esc desolder and the motor wouldn't no matter what I did, and it wasn't noticeable at a glance. When I looked at the connectors closely I notice one of the connector had a shape bend on the wire, instead of the connector pointing upright it pointed at an angle. So it wasn't making a good contact. After pealing the heat strink off I saw what happen so I resoldered the connector and it worked again.

Another thing that can cause the problem you are having is that the orange wire going to the receiver is not making contact. On some esc's this wire could be white, but check to make sure all these wires are making good contact.

I have experience where one of the channels of the receiver does not work. If this is the case you can try and spray wd40 on the receiver and let it dry. If that don't work you may need a new receiver.

The esc may have got wet, spray wd40 on it and let it dry. I know you said water didn't get in the boat, but If you keep the boat closed up when storing it can cause moisture to get on the electronic and everything else.

So you should check all these things. And if it doesn't workout you may need to change the defective part. In my experience its almost impossible to burn up a motor. You may over heat the motor and the motor shaf gets loose from the rotor magnets. Or excess rpm may damage magnets on rotor or you may damage the bearings. But the windings are the hardess thing to burn, the solder will melt long before and separate the connectors which will save the windings. So unless the motor has mechanical damage, the esc and the receiver are the only parts I would be really concern about.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:29 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

In my experience it is almost impossible to burn up a motor...
No disrespect, but apparently you don't have much experience. I've been running FE boats for over 25 years and have burned up - and seen burned up - many motors. Most were in high amp applications, but even RTR motors have problems. For example the early Traxxas Spartan motors were notorious for getting too hot and burning up. Your examples of motor wires/connectors melting is indicative of an overheated motor soon to break.

"Burning up" a motor does not mean smoke pouring out of the end bell, fireballs shooting out of the boat, etc. it means permanent damage to the motor enough to cause it not to run. This is often caused by a short in the motor windings, the result of excessive temperatures. But shorted windings are not the only way to permanently damage a motor.

Any time a motor gets too hot (usually over 160*) it loses some of its magnetic power. This raises the motor's Kv and reduces its efficiency, making it even more prone to overheating and eventually burning up. Running the boat too long, with too large a prop, no lube on the drive line, plugged waterlines, too much on/off running - getting a motor too hot is pretty common, that's one reason most RTR boats come with such mild setups.

Then there are poor quality motors or motors with poor quality control. Cheap parts, poor assembly, bad design, I have seen all of these issues. Even a boater doing everything 'right' won't prevent burning up a lousy motor.

This thread is months old, I wonder if the OP is still around....

Old 11-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Patrick125

Nice to here from you again, the response that you give me in the out thread help understand the difference between your rc boating experience and mine. What I gathered from your runtime data is that your setup draws 166% more amps than a similar setup in my circumstance. When I read the ampdraw that some people get in some of the thread I felt those ampdraw was unrealistic from what I have personally gathered based on my testings. Having said that, in your experience I would expect the wires to get far hotter than in my experience. I can tell you where I run a 2200kv motor would give runtimes in excess of 3 minutes with a 5000mah 4s pack turning an octura x632, in fact I don't think I have ever used more than 2800 - 2900 mah while running. And I would always get good runtime if I use that much mah. I have run a leopard 3674 2200kv with an octura m545 on 4s and it was pulling around 60 amps maximum.

The point I am making is the amp discharge that I experience would not let my wire emit the kind of heat a similar setup in your case may emit. So that's why I could understanding how you could burn a motor to the point that the wires short.

But what I explained to the op is what I have experience many times.