Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

wires are melting

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

wires are melting

Old 01-26-2018, 01:28 PM
keithcitra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wires are melting

i have a fast back cat with 4082 1900kv watt3400 no load 304A seaking 150 esc m447 prop running on 4 s it keeps melting the ends off the battries 5000mah 65c 5.5 bullets does any one no how to fix the problem
Old 01-27-2018, 06:37 AM
mfr02

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't normally bother looking in here, being mostly into small scale and windy boats, but the headline caught my eye.
https://oscarliang.com/choosing-gold...ors-motor-esc/ might have some good clues. If it isn't the actual connection causing the problem, it could be wire that is not quite heavy enough for the current causing heating. Thats how fuses work - a bit of thinner wire than the rest of the circuit gets too hot and melts, which is generally a good thing. But if it is insulated wire that is supposed to be kept separate from other wires, its bad news f the insulation melts.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:33 AM
Got RPM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

There are several problems with this post:

- No idea what a fast back cat is, a quick google search didnít help.
- The OPís motor specs donít make sense, there is no way for there to be 304 amps at no load.
- Exactly what is melting? Are the battery wires separating from the pack? Are the 5.5 bullets coming off the wires? Is the insulation dripping off the wires? No way to know for certain from the OPís description.

The motor, ESC and prop seem appropriate for 4S voltage, depending on how the boat is run. Steady full throttle produces the least overall heat. But getting on and off the throttle a lot will increase the amp draw and heat everything up - motor, ESC, battery, and wires. So will running pack all the way down, increasing the length of heat exposure. A poor soldering job (very common) or the wrong solder will cause the connectors to fall off if they get too hot - is this what is happening?

Old 01-28-2018, 05:19 PM
keithcitra

it is melting the 5.5bullets off the motor specs you can look up on ebay it is gool rc 4082 1900 kv
Old 01-29-2018, 10:06 PM
crapshooter

as mentioned, the motor / esc / battery and prop are all in the good range so what you need to look into is a few things like; is the shaft binding on the strut which will make the motor overload and run very hot. also are the motor mount bolts not too long which can cause some arking, i had this issue with an r/c electric plane where the bolts were just abit too long and this caused the motor to run hot. also have you de soldered the bullet connectors and re soldered them to make sure theres a good solder join on all wires. is the esc set correctly for lipo / cells / timing etc ???