Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Valvryn Proboat Horizon Not Working

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Valvryn Proboat Horizon Not Working

Old 07-20-2020, 12:14 PM
ross100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valvryn Proboat Horizon Not Working

Hi all, hope this finds you well.

So I bought the valvryn rtr package that cost £450 a week ago. Iíve had it out on the boating pond twice and unsuccessfully.

It goes not bad for about 20 seconds, (but has never reached top speed, my mad flow goes faster) then just limps back to me at side, spluttering and chugging very slowly. There was a fair amount of water collecting at the nose under the canopy where the white polystyrene block is. I thought must be seal of canopy, but I have used proper marine tape around canopy with bees wax below to stop decals/paint damage.

Can you help me please as itching to get out and up and running. Read in trouble shooting about drive dog is too near stuffing tube or drive shaft needs lubricating; relevant? Not sure how this relates to water getting in from day one.

Warmest Regards.

Ross

Last edited by ross100; 07-20-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:30 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Grease is used to seal the drive shaft tube so, if there isn't enough, you may take on water when going at slow speeds.
If the boat uses a flex cable drive, it will shrink in length under load. If that's what's happening, you're probably overheating the ESC, resulting in the crawling back to shore.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:41 PM
ross100

Aghhh cheers for he reply bud. So I need to take out the drive chain and lubricate it? I knew that the instructions said I had to do this after 30 minutes of run time and I have bought the horizon marine grease. Whatís the flex cable drive?

QUOTE=Hydro Junkie;12619267]Grease is used to seal the drive shaft tube so, if there isn't enough, you may take on water when going at slow speeds.
If the boat uses a flex cable drive, it will shrink in length under load. If that's what's happening, you're probably overheating the ESC, resulting in the crawling back to shore.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-20-2020, 10:52 PM
ross100

Default Cheers

Aghhh cheers for he reply bud. So I need to take out the drive chain and lubricate it and this will stop the water going in and give me maximum speed. It always sounded a bit rough and lawn-more like. I knew that the instructions said I had to do this after 30 minutes of run time and I have bought the horizon marine grease. Whatís the flex cable drive and the ESC is the receiver in the boat? Warmest Regards.

Ross

QUOTE=Hydro Junkie;12619267]Gr

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Grease is used to seal the drive shaft tube so, if there isn't enough, you may take on water when going at slow speeds.
If the boat uses a flex cable drive, it will shrink in length under load. If that's what's happening, you're probably overheating the ESC, resulting in the crawling back to shore.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:13 PM
Hydro Junkie

Okay, I see we have a beginner here, not a problem.
I just found a video of the boat being unboxed and saw how it's set up. Now, let's go over it one part at a time:
The black box that is on the right side with MRX 200 looks like the radio receiver.
The black box under the motor is the Electronic Speed Controller (ESC)
Now, as for the drive shaft, there is no chains involved. The drive shaft is an oversized wire called a flex cable. It goes from the motor to the prop. Since it is nothing more than a twisted wire, when the boat is running, it puts a load on the cable, causing it to get shorter. That makes the drive dog(the silver piece between the prop and the black drive strut) rub on the strut. This makes the motor work harder so it takes more power. I'd bet that the motor taking more power is making the speed controller get hot and it shuts down.
As for water getting it, it's probably not going through the flex shaft tube but, due to the design, it's getting around the cover somehow.
Just out of curiosity, where do you live? It might be more helpful to have an experienced electric boater help you out on this one first hand

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-20-2020 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:31 PM
ross100

Default Reading Drivetrain Lubrication instructions

Im looking at the drive chain lubrication instructions, it says inspect the bearing, where is the bearing and do I need to buy oil and oil this? It says to lubricate the flex shaft up to the drove dog, whatís the drive dog? As well as lubricating the flex shaft (which is the long pole I remove?), it also says to lubricate the drive strut and all moving parts, what does it mean by these last two things? Cheers for helping me.

Ross
Old 07-20-2020, 11:31 PM
ross100

Default Lol

Yes total beginner here bud
Old 07-20-2020, 11:45 PM
Hydro Junkie

I see you read my first version of my second post. I have updated it so, go back and look at it again, it might help answer some questions.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:39 PM
ross100

Default Work on progress chief

Hi there, apologies for delay, I can only get 5 posts over 24 hours. Yes I saw your last post thanks, so ordered 5.5mm hex nut remover and 2mm hex Allen key on amazon today. Thought would send you some pics as not entirely sure that I could accurately answer all your questions. Sound ok to you bud? Thought would remove the drive chain shaft is it when stuff arrives from amazon and take it from there. Also bought some rc boat oil for possible future use. Give me your thoughts and warmest regards.

Ross

Old 07-21-2020, 05:59 PM
Hydro Junkie

Not a problem on the delay.
As for what to do with the boat, let's hold off until you get the tools, then we can look at what adjustments we can make
Old 07-21-2020, 11:29 PM
ross100

Default Perfect!

Thank you so much, that would be optimum! Will keep you posted 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻😎
Old 07-22-2020, 05:22 AM
ross100

Default Bummer!

So got the 5.5mm hex nut remover today which removes the bolt perfectly off the back behind the propeller. I also received in the post the 2mm hex driver to loosen the screw on the motor coupler but is slightly too big and wonít fit in ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️
Old 07-22-2020, 01:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

Is it possible that set screw in not a metric size? My boats have many screws that are metric and SAE, meaning I have to have both to work on them. You could be dealing with a 1/16 inch, 5/64 inch or 1.5 mm.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:15 PM
ross100

Default Evening

Hi there and good evening to you. Thank you for the reply. Iím not too sure to be honest; I tried the 1.5mm and this seems too small and the 2mm hex key (which I think we call them Allen keys) is too big. Just not too sure where to go as donít want to use the 1.5mm and potentially damage and turn the small hexagonal nut 🥜 into a circular configuration.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:47 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by ross100 View Post
Hi there and good evening to you. Thank you for the reply. Iím not too sure to be honest; I tried the 1.5mm and this seems too small and the 2mm hex key (which I think we call them Allen keys) is too big. Just not too sure where to go as donít want to use the 1.5mm and potentially damage and turn the small hexagonal nut 🥜 into a circular configuration.
As I said, they may not be metric. What you may need to do is take the boat to a hardware store and test fit some allen tips/wrenches into the set screw to make sure you get the right size. Something else you need to pick up is some thread locking compound. The orange and blue work best for this as you need to heat up everything to remove a screw secured with the red thread locking compound
Old 07-22-2020, 10:31 PM
ross100

Default Affirmative Captain

Ok got you chief, leave that advice with me and will follow it. Will get back to you when Iíve done it and keep you posted. Kindest Regards and stay safe.

Ross 😎👍🏻😎
Old 07-23-2020, 04:25 PM
ross100

Default Model Shop a song for boat return

Hi chief, so to keep you posted. I have found nothing to take that screw out in motor coupler and model shop seller have asked for return of boat so take a look. I would have expected the valvryn to work straight from box as itís rtr. Warmest Regards.

Ross
Old 07-23-2020, 05:13 PM
Hydro Junkie

I think that's what is referred to as "Customer Service". If they are willing to do the troubleshooting required to get it running properly or, if needed, replace it, I'd keep taking my business to them.
What you have to remember is that all RTRs are mass produced in a factory. They are probably not even given a test run before they are boxed up and shipped so you don't know if you got a good unit or not until you actually try to run it

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-23-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:37 AM
ross100

Default Latest on Valkryn

Hi there, I hope that you are well. So the latest is, sent the boat back last week to The model shop that sold it. They said they have just looked at it, put tape on hull and it looks ok and isnít taking in water. They did offer a refund, but said no need to replace boat. Iím very confused and said really want a new one as donít want a the same boat sent back that is definitely taking a bucket of water in from my end ( meaning about a third of a cup of water) when it would be sent back to me as I sent it to them.

I asked them like you advised if they had checked flex shaft greasing and If it had it been tested out on water up to full throttle running it. Suspect it was just tested in a water container inside. Mmmmmmm, Iím a bit confused. I have the lipos and charger for this boat, so really need another one otherwise having all these would be a bit of a waste. It never got up to full speed when I had it out and my mad flow by joysway was faster, while the Valvryn made a gargling noise and very quickly went into slow stop start mode like the battery was low and it was auto shutting off and ready to be brought ashore.

They are the experts and know much much more than me who is a beginner and am questioning whether Im doing something fundamentally wrong. However, I know for sure that I have followed the instruction manual to a tee, even with buying the bees wax and horizon tape around the hull. My gut feeling is this model they sent isnít right.

I have researched on the net about this Valvryn model and some customers have had no probs at all and others have had a problematic experience. The holes in the runner bits where the self righting mechanism is seems to be a bone of contention as the boat sinks down as soon as you put in water due to this. Gosh I would love to get my Valvryn moving like one on its official horizon video as itís a super cool looking boat.

Last edited by ross100; 07-28-2020 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:30 AM
ross100

Default New boat ordered

Hi there, I have ordered a new Valvryn boat from a different supplier now and will pick your brains if thatís ok when it arrives before I take out. My last reply was probably a bit of a raunt, but happier I am getting a refund and a new boat. Warmest Regards.

Ross
Old 07-29-2020, 08:00 AM
Hydro Junkie

Your last post showed a frustrated person, nothing more and I totally understand it so no worries
Old 07-29-2020, 08:56 AM
ross100

Default God Bless You

Awww, thank you for the kind words. Was still a bit negative, will be more positive as itís about solutions, not personal rants 👍🏻
Old 07-29-2020, 11:37 AM
ross100

Default Progress

Ps I also bought a 1.5mm hex remover for that screw beside the motor coupler, as the model shop recommended this. Hopefully this will come tomorrow and partner the 5.5mm hex nut remover that I bought already. Not sure if you think I should still get that flex shaft out and check that itís greased when the new boat arrives? I also bought some high quality rc model boat oil as I saw in instruction booklet that I might need for the bearings in future.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:16 AM
ross100

Default New Valvryn arriving today

Yipeeeeee! So excited, feedex should be delivering my new Valvryn today. Ok if I get advice from you about that flex shaft greasing or anything else you think I should do, before I put on the water? Thanks a mill for your continued support.

Ross
Old 07-31-2020, 06:55 AM
Hydro Junkie

There are a few things you can do upon unboxing:
1) Since the boat drive uses a twisted cable to drive the prop, make sure there's space between the prop drive dog and the outdrive. If there isn't any or very little space, you will have the same issues as the other boat
2) On the motor output shaft, there is a coupler that connects the cable to the shaft. You need to remove the retaining screw that holds the cable. Pull the cable out, by the prop, and make sure it has some grease on it. If it looks dry, don't try to run it until you can grease the cable. Be sure to NOT get grease on the end where it goes into the coupler or it could spin or, worse yet, come out on the water. Make sure, when you put the retaining screw back in, that you use blue or orange thread lock on the threads
3) Run it on the stand for a couple of minutes before taking it to the pond. If there is any issues, they SHOULD reveal themselves during the test run.
I know I asked you once before, what area do you live in. There may be someone in your area that can help you out if there is an issue that you can't figure out

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.