Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Stinger drive

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Stinger drive

Old 08-05-2020, 05:20 PM
  #1  
billydean676
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stinger drive

Let's start with me and my son are new to rc boats we've had trucks for a while but decided to play with boats. I am a carpenter by trade and we are building a 48" catamaran. I am starting to skin the frames now and want to make sure i don't have to tear anything apart later on for the stinger drives. I am planing on running two motors in it. My question is what do I need for stinger drives?
Old 08-06-2020, 03:16 AM
  #2  
billydean676
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Well i thought I was going to post a picture but it says I can't until I have 10 post.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:12 PM
  #3  
Hydro Junkie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 8,782
Likes: 0
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

A stinger drive is basically a tube within a tube and a mounting flange. All you need to do is drill a hole in the back of each sponson, line up the stinger with the hole and run your flex cable tube to that hole. Pretty much all there is to it. One thing you may want to look at is where your water line will be. To keep water out of the hull, it's best to have the inboard end of the tube above the water line OR have the tube stuffed with grease to seal it and prevent water from getting in to the boat.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:10 PM
  #4  
billydean676
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
A stinger drive is basically a tube within a tube and a mounting flange. All you need to do is drill a hole in the back of each sponson, line up the stinger with the hole and run your flex cable tube to that hole. Pretty much all there is to it. One thing you may want to look at is where your water line will be. To keep water out of the hull, it's best to have the inboard end of the tube above the water line OR have the tube stuffed with grease to seal it and prevent water from getting in to the boat.

Thank you, I understand the theory of it. I just wasn't sure how for out the back it should stick past the farthest point on the stern of the boat where there is overhang past where the sponson ends
Old 08-12-2020, 03:27 PM
  #5  
Hydro Junkie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 8,782
Likes: 0
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Are you making your own stingers or buying ones that are premade?
Old 08-12-2020, 04:07 PM
  #6  
billydean676
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Are you making your own stingers or buying ones that are premade?
Buying them. I can build a boat I don't know about building them.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:19 PM
  #7  
Hydro Junkie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 8,782
Likes: 0
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Okay, the length of the stinger doesn't really matter when compared to the area above it. As long as the stinger is parallel with the bottom of the sponson, you should be fine for your initial test runs. That means your transom needs to be 90 degrees to the sponson bottom or, if it's not, you need to block it out until it is. Something else you need to remember is you're going to have a surface drive configuration so you're rudder will need to be turned slightly to the left UNLESS you are using props that turn in the opposite directions
Old 08-12-2020, 06:25 PM
  #8  
billydean676
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Okay, the length of the stinger doesn't really matter when compared to the area above it. As long as the stinger is parallel with the bottom of the sponson, you should be fine for your initial test runs. That means your transom needs to be 90 degrees to the sponson bottom or, if it's not, you need to block it out until it is. Something else you need to remember is you're going to have a surface drive configuration so you're rudder will need to be turned slightly to the left UNLESS you are using props that turn in the opposite directions

Great thank you. I had planned to run counter rotation props.
Another question about that.. does the motor actually run the opposite direction? If so how do you make it do that?

Last edited by billydean676; 08-12-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:25 PM
  #9  
Hydro Junkie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 8,782
Likes: 0
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Yes, the motors run in opposite directions. To do so, you hook them up the same, making sure they work. Now, you switch two of the wires on one and it will run in the opposite direction. Now, let's throw something at you that you may not have thought about:
You have to have a pair of flex cables that are wrapped in opposite directions to make the system work
My boat also runs a flex cable which, when looked at from the rear, turns counter-clockwise, This causes the flex cable to get shorter under load. If I were to reverse the rotation direction, it would cause the shaft to get longer and unwrap, probably costing me a prop in the process. BTW, this is the boat I race:
Old 08-13-2020, 02:33 AM
  #10  
billydean676
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=Hydro Junkie;12624230]Yes, the motors run in opposite directions. To do so, you hook them up the same, making sure they work. Now, you switch two of the wires on one and it will run in the opposite direction. Now, let's throw something at you that you may not have thought about:
You have to have a pair of flex cables that are wrapped in opposite directions to make the system work
My boat also runs a flex cable which, when looked at from the rear, turns counter-clockwise, This causes the flex cable to get shorter under load. If I were to reverse the rotation direction, it would cause the shaft to get longer and unwrap, probably costing me a prop in the process. BTW, this is the boat I race:

Great information. I had read that you had to have a left and right twist cable for that reason. Beautiful boat. We won't be racing just playing. I will add another pic of mine this afternoon. I have fiberglass drying on the top half now. I'll get it trimmed up and add a pic later.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:10 AM
  #11  
billydean676
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Ok maybe I won't post I 0ics. It says I can't until I have 10 post.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.