Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Beginner need help building 2 boats. Where to start.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Beginner need help building 2 boats. Where to start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 11:10 AM
Mike_USA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner need help building 2 boats. Where to start.

Hello,
Hope you all doing well. Recently I bought 2 bare boat hulls Pursuit 32 and Cyber Storm 33. Included with that a lot of parts. I made a little inventory and listed them below.

I am new to RC boats, I have cars, Airplanes and Helicopter, but no boat until now. I just don’t really know hot to start. I found some good websites like

Can't post the links in my first 10 posts....
I know that the ESC might be a little bit to small and I anyway need a second ESC. But my question is more for the mechanic not the electrical side.

How do I know where exactly do I place the Rudder, Turn Fin, Trim Tab and the outlet for the propeller? I find a ton of information about how to set them up, but nothing where a good starting point is. Same is with the center of gravity. How do you start with a bare hull? Motor as far as possible back?

Can't post the links in my first 10 posts....
I appreciate all help. I am located in south Florida and would even pay someone for supervising me or pointing me in the right direction.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
parts.pdf (232.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-06-2020, 03:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm not an expert on "V" hulls so I won't claim to be. I do, however, know enough to get you started. First thing's first, however. With the 32.5" Cyber Storm hull, it should balance right around 11" from the transom. Before you start drilling holes in your boat, it would be nice to have a bit more information:
1) Are you planning on racing these boats or are they going to be a toy for fun running? Trust me, this is important
2) Have you ever worked with fiberglass, painted or bare?
3) The Pursuit looks to be a RTR, is this correct?
4) Your parts list has a jumbled listing with multiples of some things. Could you actually split the list up so we know what you plan on using in each boat?
Old 08-07-2020, 12:39 PM
Mike_USA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, thank you very much for your fast response. I try to answer as many questions as I can.
1) I am not planning on racing these boats. They are manly for my wife. She came all the sudden to me and mentioned she would be interested in RC Boats and I got those pretty much in a package when I bought another helicopter for me. So it is more a toy for running, but that doesn't mean I want to do a bad job. I would like to build them as good as my skills allow me.

2) I have not worked with fiberglass yet. Carbon fiber, all kind of steel, wood,... but fiberglass in specific not.

3) I don't know the answer of that question. If it's a RTR or normal, how could I find that out?

4) I can split the list up for the 2 boats. I would like to used the "better" parts for one boat, since the second boat is just a boat for emergency towing. Here comes my problem, I don't even know what the better parts are, but I can certainly split them up and we go from there.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:29 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

An RTR is basically ready to put in the water, after batteries and maybe radio gear are installed. Everything I've found on the Pursuit has shown it to be add batteries and go, making it an RTR.
With what you have, I know I'm not going to be able to help you that much so, what I've done, is started a thread in another forum that is dedicated to boats as there are those in that forum that really know what they're doing. One thing that would be helpful is to know where you're located so we might be able to have someone give you hands on help