Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

My boat lost connection in the water!!

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

My boat lost connection in the water!!

Old 10-21-2020, 06:47 PM
Surfertroy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My boat lost connection in the water!!

My TFL Zonda 41” with a Spektrum MR4000 receiver with a Spektrum DX2e radio.. It has an issue when it goes out about 30 to 50 yards it looses connection with radio and shuts down. But when we go out to get it and pick it up out of the water, it runs. Put it back in and it doesn’t!!! Help
Old 10-23-2020, 12:23 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

It's the receiver and/or antenna. I know the MR4000 is a marine receiver but there could be other issues at play here. If the boat has carbon fiber in it, you need to use a long antenna that will get the end up out of the boat as CF is a good signal blocker. The problem with using a 2.4GHz radio to control a boat is that the signal is reflected by the water and the receiver never gets a clear signal. This was an issue with the Spectrum systems when they first appeared on the market. Spectrum went back and did some experimenting and found the receivers they were selling were good for planes and land vehicles BUT NOT FOR BOATS!!!!!
You need to do some range testing on the water using a chase boat to see what's actually going on as a bench test won't tell you anything other than the signal is getting sent by the transmitter

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 10-23-2020 at 12:27 PM.