Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

battery question

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

battery question

Old 12-17-2004, 02:15 AM
ernest2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery question

hi!
i was really wondering if what would be the performance of 6- AA size 1600nicd be compared to 6 sub C size nicd.
how will they perform if used in a 540 motor?
thanks for inputs.
ernest
Old 12-17-2004, 03:19 AM
ernest2

Default RE: battery question

and also another question.
will a 6volts lead acid battery turn the 540motor at the same rpm as the 6volts nicd? or will the nicd turn the motor faster?
Old 12-17-2004, 09:04 AM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi ernest2,

How's everything over there at your end? FPJ? LOL
Is there a mAH rating at the side of the sub C batteries?
If it has the mAh rating as the AA 1600 nicd's then the sub C batteries will have the advantage of a longer runtime.

It will take longer to discharge a sub C battery of the same rating, compared to a AA battery.
A 540 class e-motor will perform as good as the batteries that are used on them.

GulfstreamI
Old 12-17-2004, 10:55 AM
ernest2

hi gulfstream
are you a fan?[8D]
thanks for the info though, it lightens up my mind.
another question though, is the C size battery in the same league with sub C for rc>? or the current output just don't match with sub c?
Old 12-17-2004, 12:38 PM
LtDoc

ernest2,
If the voltage is the same, it really doesn't matter where it comes from as far as motor speed is concerned. 6 volts is 6 volts, whether from a ncad, lead acid, gell cell, or what ever. The current capacity, mAhr or Ahr, determines how long the battery will supply current (bigger is better in most cases). The 'size' of a battery, 'C', 'sub C', 'AA' or whatever tells you the physical size. Of course larger batteries of the same type hold more current than smaller batteries of the same type. Sort of like shoes. There's all kinds of different styles, some just suit the purpose 'better' than others...
- 'Doc
Old 12-17-2004, 01:35 PM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ernest2

hi gulfstream
are you a fan?[8D]
thanks for the info though, it lightens up my mind.
another question though, is the C size battery in the same league with sub C for rc>? or the current output just don't match with sub c?
Just kidding. No. The sub C battery is a lightweight counterpart of the standard C batteries that are common even in supermarkets.
There are new generation standard C batteries that are availabe out there. The new ones are rated at 3000 mAh NiMh type. They approximately equal the runtime of the 2400 mAh NiCd sub C batteries.

GulfstreamI
Old 12-17-2004, 05:36 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

ORIGINAL: ernest2

hi!
i was really wondering if what would be the performance of 6- AA size 1600nicd be compared to 6 sub C size nicd.
how will they perform if used in a 540 motor?
thanks for inputs.
ernest
The sub c have much higher discharge capacity. They can do maybe 100 amps. the AA (I'm not sure) may do only 10 amps.

If the motor was free running on the bench, it wouldn't make any diff, but when under a load like in a vehicle the sub c would out do the AA.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:27 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

In general, the smaller the battery, the higher the internal resistance, and the lower the peak discharge rate is. The higher the peak current draw you motor has, the larger the cells you need to run. 540 motors are typically powered by sub-C cells, 400-280 sizes by A or AA cells, and 180 sizes can run off of AAAs.