Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Twin Storm 800 ROCKS!!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Kyosho Twin Storm 800 ROCKS!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 02:22 PM
davegg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho Twin Storm 800 ROCKS!!

I JUST BOUGHT THE KYOSHO TWIN STORM 800 AND IT IS A WONDERFUL BOAT! IT RUNS SOO SMOOTH AND IT'S FAST ENOUGH FOR MOST PEOPLE I THINK. THE DESIGN IS GREAT, IT IS REALLY STABLE AND A PLEASURE TO DRIVE AND JUST ADMIRE WHEN IT SLICES THROUGH THE WATER. I REALLY RECOMMEND THIS ONE TO ANY BEGINNER BOATER WHO WANTS A FUN, RELIABE AND QUITE FAST BOAT WITH GOOD LOOKS!!

WANT TO SEE IT RUN?
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY PICS AND VIDEO'S AT RCFLIX:

http://www.rcflix.com/photopost/show...00&ppuser=1715

YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO VIEW THE GALLERY, ENJOY!
Old 04-27-2005, 02:47 PM
pompebled

Default RE: Kyosho Twin Storm 800 ROCKS!!

Glad to hear you're pleased with the boat.

Try not to run it together with similar size H&M, MHZ, Hopf, Psyco boats.

Regards, Jan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91861.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	263895  
Old 04-30-2005, 10:44 AM
nighthawkhk

Hi Davegg

Fully agree with you!!

For a out of the box model it runs beautiful. I'm running it in the sea and even with some rougher water it performs beautiful. The only thing I don't like is the lid of the rc box which is only taped. With two Sanyo 33000mAh packs and almost all the time full speed it runs 10-15 minutes.

Greetings from Hong Kong!

Old 04-30-2005, 12:46 PM
davegg

Deleted.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:18 AM
pompebled

Deleted.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:03 PM
MattHiggins

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pompebled
Try not to run it together with similar size H&M, MHZ, Hopf, Psyco boats.
Seems like a dig. The boat companies you mention make great stuff, but I believe that a fully-outfitted hull with motor, speed control, hardware and radio might cost a bit more than the $240 the Kyosho boat goes for.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:27 PM
pompebled

Matt,

Sadly that's true on your side of the pond, where the products I mentioned are horribly overpriced.

But you have very good US made hulls at your disposal that are pricy overhere...

Here in Europe I can buy a Viper 700 Neodym for as little as 27,60 EUR, a hull for 60-80 EUR, 12 GP3300 at 4,10/pc (49,20 EU) a flexshaft/rudder combo for 50-65 EUR and a 50A ESC for 32,50 EUR.
Roughly about 254,30 EUR in parts, which I assemble and run in the European standard class Mono2.

Regards, Jan.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:34 PM
MattHiggins

Matt,

Sadly that's true on your side of the pond, where the products I mentioned are horribly overpriced.

But you have very good US made hulls at your disposal that are pricy overhere...

Here in Europe I can buy a Viper 700 Neodym for as little as 27,60 EUR, a hull for 60-80 EUR, 12 GP3300 at 4,10/pc (49,20 EU) a flexshaft/rudder combo for 50-65 EUR and a 50A ESC for 32,50 EUR.
Roughly about 254,30 EUR in parts, which I assemble and run in the European standard class Mono2.

Regards, Jan.

I believe that's about $300 USD and that doesn't include a radio which could run at least $150 to $200 for a race-worthy system. It would be a great setup in the end, but still a lot more than the Twin Storm 800. I was just pointing out that I thought your comment was just a dig at someone who likes their new sport boat. Of course race boats out perform sport boats. For the price, they should. It's like comparing a $15,000 full-size car to a $30,000 full-size--one is expected to be much better.

Anyway, I've driven the Twin Storm 800 and I agree that it's awesome. Rides and turns very smooth. It's a great boat and a lot of fun--worth every penny.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:05 AM
13BT

hey ppls,

i recently bought the twin storm and have to agree its a great boat for the price. its RTR, has water cooled ESC and motors, and all radio gear included, just add batteries! i use 7 cell 1700mAh and am satisfied with its out-of-the-box performance.

very happy with it!
Old 05-06-2005, 04:59 AM
pompebled

Hi Matt,

Sorry, I didn't understand the expression "a dig" at first.

I don't want to put anyone down for buying a RTR, you have to start somewhere, just warn about the consequences of a collision between an epoxy and an ABS hull, the latter usually loses...

Regards, Jan.

BTW, Does the Twin Storm comes with a radio?
Old 05-06-2005, 05:32 AM
MattHiggins

BTW, Does the Twin Storm comes with a radio?
We've had two in the office and both were RTRs with radios, but I believe a version without radio might be available.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:20 PM
13BT

does anyone know of an ESC model similar to the one included in the twin storm 800 that is designed to power 2 motors, but can take 2x8cell packs?
The included ESC can take a maximum of 2x7cells and I'm not willing to risk putting 8cell packs in there!
Old 05-07-2005, 03:45 AM
davegg

If you are willing to change the esc I would go for one that can handle hotter motors. In that way you can upgrade your boat in the future for more speed and power. You should check out Novak's Super Duty XR High-Voltage Reversible ESC. If you want performance, this esc can handle dual motors down to 10 turns with two six cell packs or two 12 turn motors with two seven cell packs. I am planning on getting it in the future so that I can put hotter motors in my boat. I dont think that the two extra cells will give you a very big increase in "juice" from the motors.

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/es...er_dutyxr.html
Old 05-07-2005, 05:00 AM
pompebled

Hi David,

Car ESC's are not the first choice to use in high power electric boats, they aren't designed for it.

Better and probably cheaper is a MIMIR esc from CTI rated 50 Ah continuous with a 22 cell limit. (32,50 EUR ex shipping)
Or the WOTAN with 100 (!) Ah continuous on 22 cells max.

I and many others use these esc in powerboats with 700 motors and even amp-hungry Plettenberg motors, without additional watercooling!

Mail Helmut Matshall from CTI and ask him for advice for your motors (and future ones).
His service is unprecedented; should a esc fail, send it to CTI and you'll get e new one without questions.

[email protected]

Regards, Jan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32565.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	268101  
Old 05-07-2005, 01:02 PM
davegg

You are probably very right. Thanks for the tip!!
Old 05-29-2005, 02:33 AM
nitro_D

I ran mine for the first time today and it was a bit windy and a tiny bit choppy but it still went through with no problem. Even when you go back over its own wake it doesnt seem effected by it. Although i have an issue with the water cooling. When i blow through it, it barely go through. I can just push some air through it. So i doubt that it could push water through it. And i was sort of right. When its running a drip comes out about every three seconds, i thought a generous stream would come it. So i took of the pipes at certain sections and found that the esc is the bit it has trouble getting through. So later i think ill take it out and see if anything is jammed in it. Have any of you guys had this problem. And after id finished running it, the water that come out of the hole cause i was blowing it was relatively hot around 85 degrees celsius.

So do any of you know what to do or if this is normal?
Old 05-29-2005, 10:11 AM
properchopper

Hey Nitro D !!

Glad to hear from another Twinstorm Guy ! I love mine and it's my ongoing project for some time now. I'm running 2 6-cell Reedy 3300's into Titan 23-turn stockers with a 45 mm x 1.4 prop for now and have designed a motor mount for a Cordite ss-1 or brushless but haven't converted yet. My cooling issues were like yours : the stock propwash water pickup couldn't get through the speed control and both motor coils with any efficiency, so I changed some things. First of all, the speed control has a small inside diameter and clogs easily, especially if you run in salt water as I do. After 2 or three runs, I ream out the passage with a drill bit held in my hand {not in the drill],
this also aligns what appears to be the three sections of the cooler. I then made a different cooling-tube pickup from brass tubing, angled it towards the prop, and positioned it to the right of the prop centerline. After the cooler, I exit the hull through a Prather outlet.
At slow speeds with the prop fully submerged I get almost three inches of output, and at full speed maybe two inches !
I am using a Gundert underhull pickup for the motor coils, but still cant see any output, so I made a small insert for the Gundert, and will see if that works in a few days. This is in preparation for the next motor upgrade, since the motors never get over 100 degres F with the current setup. Since the Titans are fancooled, I hand-formed an aluminum scoop on top of the cabin roof and duct this air to the motors with another aluminum duct over the motors, I'm pretty sure this works as good if not better than the water cooled coils.

Also, since the bigger motors and prop create some scary turn bounces, Im running medium turn fins and they keep things under control in the turns.

I'd like to hear from any other Twinstorm guys out there, it's a beautiful boat that needs lots of experimenting to achieve its full potential.

Tony
Old 05-30-2005, 01:58 AM
nitro_D

Thanks for that information, i also run it in salt water. I blew some fresh water through it but ill defiantely think about the water cooling issue thanks to ur help.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:49 AM
13BT

i thought that the water pickups didnt flow very much water, so before i put it in the water, i simply increased the internal diameter of the rudder pickup.

I bored it out with a slightly larger diameter drill bit. turn the bit by hand very slowly and use increasing larger bits until you get the size youre happy with. the silicone tubings internal diameter is still larger than the new opening, so this modification should improve cooling.

i am not aware of the internal size of the heatsink or whether it can be similarly drilled, so do that at your own risk!

a great way to flush clean water thru the system is to use a large syringe. pull the tubing out of the rudder assembly and insert the syringe into that.

has anyone experimented with hotter motors? different props? share your results with us!
Old 05-30-2005, 09:24 AM
properchopper

Howdy 13 bt !

Like what you did, I first drilled out the existing pickup tube in the outdrive, but didn't really improve much. With a larger diameter brass pickup tube installed and angled slightly towards the prop, I get lots of output. I'm going to see if the modified gundert underwater pickup gets through the dual motor coils today, and I'll let you know if this is better.

I tried a pair of Kyosho 19 turn " pro" motors which Tower special ordered for me ; on the second run with the stock prop one motor totally melted and blew the endbell off !

The best setup so far is the Titan 23 turn stockers with a 45 mm x 1.4 prop; motors stay at 100 degrees F with about 8 minutes time using 3300 packs.

Rather than try dual motors, gears, and the constantly stripping grub screws, I'm going Cordite SS-1 and upgraded speed control. I have my shaft and motor mount designed to leave the hull capable of being returned to stock if needed.

Any other tips/suggestions from any other Twinstorm owners would be appreciated.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:19 PM
xism

8 min runtime with 3300 packs and a 45 mm x 1.4 prop is good. how long runtime would u get from 2000 ni-cd packs and the stock prop?

i still dont have buy any batterypacks to my brand new villain ex couse those 3300 packs are so expensive
Old 05-31-2005, 04:51 PM
nitro_D

Ive run 2000nicd packs with the stock prop and i get about 7-8mins, although im not flat out all the time. but most of it. I think the ESC actaully draws more amps when you are going slow.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:52 PM
nitro_D

Well you can get 3300 or 3000 i think from EPIC on tower hobbies, for about 40-44$ which is not much at all. I think they are actually designed for the e-maxx but that doesnt matter. I just means you get sort of a bulk discount
Old 05-31-2005, 04:58 PM
hellomynameisdookie

Purchase the cells seperately and make your own pack! You'll get better cells and still save money. Pick up GP3300's or even GP 3700's.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:30 PM
rcmaster123
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: davegg

I JUST BOUGHT THE KYOSHO TWIN STORM 800 AND IT IS A WONDERFUL BOAT! IT RUNS SOO SMOOTH AND IT'S FAST ENOUGH FOR MOST PEOPLE I THINK. THE DESIGN IS GREAT, IT IS REALLY STABLE AND A PLEASURE TO DRIVE AND JUST ADMIRE WHEN IT SLICES THROUGH THE WATER. I REALLY RECOMMEND THIS ONE TO ANY BEGINNER BOATER WHO WANTS A FUN, RELIABE AND QUITE FAST BOAT WITH GOOD LOOKS!!

WANT TO SEE IT RUN?
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY PICS AND VIDEO'S AT RCFLIX:

http://www.rcflix.com/photopost/show...00&ppuser=1715

YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO VIEW THE GALLERY, ENJOY!
how fast does it go in mph?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.