Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Water cooling the XL-1 esc for the Traxxas Villain IV

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Water cooling the XL-1 esc for the Traxxas Villain IV

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 11:38 AM
mynarr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water cooling the XL-1 esc for the Traxxas Villain IV

I have read in threads how to water cool the esc. The recommendation is to drill holes through the heat sinks and then route copper of aluminum tubing through the holes. I have the Traxxas water cooling kit for my Villian IV. I don't want to add another pick-up (unless it's strongly advisable).

I've attached a picture of the esc and heat sinks.

Here are my questions:
[ul][*] Where do I get the straight tubing?[*] Where do I find a 'T' or 'Y' to split the intake water line?[*] Should I run a 3-way split so each component (both motors and the esc) get un-heated water?[*] Can I then recombine my 2 or 3 lines so I have 1 exit point through the hull, or should I drill a separate exit point for each component?
[/ul]
Any other recommendations or advice are also appreciated.

Thanks for the help,
Alan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90912.gif
Views:	48
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	284454  
Old 06-13-2005, 12:16 PM
69dart

Default RE: Water cooling the XL-1 esc for the Traxxas Villain IV

hello
you do not need a t to slpit off the water
just run the first line from the water intake to the esc then branch the water flow with a peice of fuel tubing over to the other side then take that and run it to your motors ect ect
then out the side
Old 06-13-2005, 01:28 PM
pompebled

Hi Alan,

If the aluminum heatsinks are pressed on, like in car ESC's, the heatconduction is not very efficient due to the silicon insulation on top of the fet's underneath.

If you can get hold of some flat brass tubing at your LHS, you might consider to file the cooling ribs off, so the flat tubing rests flat on the aluminum.
Solder an inlet and an outlet to the flat tube, superglue it to the heatsinks and off you go!

Like 69dart said, first cool the ESC, than go to the rest.

I added a pic of my MIMIR ESC on which I added a similar cooling tube.

This 30V-50Ah (continuous!) ESC doesn't need cooling as long as the parameters aren't exeeded, but I did it anyway. This esc runs cool to the touch after an 8 minute flatout run with a 700 motor on 12 cells, cooled it doesn't even get lukewarm...

Regards, Jan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29105.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	284467  
Old 06-15-2005, 12:09 PM
jim1221160

I'm going to try and water-cool my Villain's motors and XL-1 ESC soon. Did you ever get this to work?

- Jim
Old 06-16-2005, 02:18 AM
pompebled

ORIGINAL: jim1221160

I'm going to try and water-cool my Villain's motors and XL-1 ESC soon. Did you ever get this to work?

- Jim
Hi Jim,

I think your question is meant for Alan, as my watercooling works like a charm...

Have you taken a look in the "Tips & Info" section on www.offshoreelectrics.com how to watercool your electric "goodies"?

Regards, Jan.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:28 AM
mynarr

Jim,

I was doing advance research since I ordered and was expecting a Villain IV. However, what I received was a Villain. I am sending it back in favor of the Villain EX. Both of those are already water cooled, so I will no longer need to "roll my own". You're welcome to keep the thread alive and see what other recommendations you can get.

Alan
Old 06-16-2005, 02:21 PM
hellomynameisdookie

Awww you weenie, you took the easy way out, lol.

Now that I think about it, you should have just picked up the "Darter King". It comes with watercooled motors.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:00 PM
mynarr

dookie,

Actually, I didn't take the easy way out of anything. I have ordered the Villain IV from 2 different companies. I knew it was discontinued, but they listed it in stock. I like the graphics on the IV better than the EX. I prefer the 2 stick design over the pistol grip.

The first company has had my order for 2 weeks. It hasn't changed status since I placed it. I have e-mailed, voice mailed, and faxed them. I have gotten no response. I contacted the BBB about them. I am expecting to dispute the charge with my credit card company. I then placed another order with another company. This time, I called them and asked specifically if they had the Villain IV (1508). They said they did, so I placed my order. The boat arrived yesterday, but it was a Villain (1506). I am sending it back (pre-paid from the retailer) and getting an EX. I'm getting a price break since it was their error. I'm also ordering the deck detail kit and decal kit from the 1508 because I still prefer the look.

I know you're kidding and I take no offense, but it HASN'T been an easy road getting one of these. I hope it's worth it. Please tell me it will be.

Alan
Old 06-16-2005, 03:04 PM
hellomynameisdookie

Nope, the boat you're getting sucks, you've totally wasted your time!

Haha, just kidding. The EX is a fun boat. I've got a buddy that runs one and it's quick out of the box and gets decent runtimes. The only thing I don't like about the EX is the upgradeability. You have to buy 2 of everything!
Old 06-16-2005, 03:07 PM
hellomynameisdookie

BTW, I'm still pushing the Darter King.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:56 PM
Aquanaught

Hello all,
I recently came across this forum while surfing. I quite recently got a Villain IV and just finished a water cooling project on it for both the stock ESC and motors including the brushes. Here is what I did. I removed both stock heat sinks and replaced them with two water cooled sinks made for the Villain EX ESC.....the EVX. They fit perfectly over the transistor tabs. I used one pickup, 'T' off to both sinks, each sink outlet then goes to the brush tabs of each motor separately, then to the motor cooling coils, then to two separate outlets, one on each side. I will post on how it works as soon as I try it.
Norman.