Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Villian IV - seeking help for fellow customer...

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Villian IV - seeking help for fellow customer...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 09:49 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Villian IV - seeking help for fellow customer...

Hi there,
Im an assistant manager at the HobbyTown USA here in Manasssas VA. A customer came by with the older Villian 4, he had modified it with some aftermarket 540 motors one which said it was in reverse direction. Also the boat was equipped with some after market props which does look quite differant than stock props (more pitch) but they were the same orientation props. One of them which is supposed to be reversed by compairing to the Villian EX from traxxas. Ok.. The customer states that when the boat is in the water the tail end of the boat just sinks in the water when the throttle is given and doesn't go anywhere..
Ok im very well versed in Cars, planes, trains, and some heli but boats is real new to me. The stock villian ex has the same motors as in turning the same direction and the props are reversed thinking to couteract the torque. So If one motor has reverse direction and the prop is the same as the left prop does that mimic the same as stock? Is that the reason why the boat is not going anywhere? The customer did supply the stock props that came with the boat. By replacing the props with the stock ones will that make it work?
Why also if I might add....
Thank you very much and any information would be helpfull..

Nathan
Old 06-17-2005, 08:33 AM
MaxxChris

Default RE: Villian IV - seeking help for fellow customer...

It sounds to me like the motors are spinning in the correct directions, but the props are not. When given forward throttle, on prop tries to push forward, while the other tries to push backwards. Atleast thats what I can make sence of from your post. Can you clarify things a bit, I cant quite make sence of it all.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:28 PM
rcfury

Yeah sorry bout that... it was kinda of a late night.
Im basicly trying to figure out which way the props are supposed to go. I know the stock villian uses the same direction motors and one shaft has a reverse prop, but the customers boat had one motor that says it goes in reverse direction and has two of the same direction props.
Does that help?
Does the two differant orientated props supposed to conteract torque, i think? Im going to take a picture of it with my cell phone since i dont have a camera at work, hopefully that would clear things up..
Old 06-17-2005, 01:59 PM
hellomynameisdookie

If the 2 prop shafts are spinning in opposite directions, you need a right hand and a left hand prop. If the 2 prop shafts are spinning in the same direction you need 2 props of whatever direction they're spinning. The Villian EX has counter-rotating props so unless something has been changed, you should have a right hand and left hand prop. If both props are the same, this would explain your problem.

Put the stock props back on, on the correct shafts, and give it a go in the water. See how that affects the way it runs.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:05 PM
rcfury

here is some pics.. Sorry for the crappy quality, at work we dont carry a camera in store except my cell phone cam.
pic two is of the props... which both of them rotate the same direction (to the left)
pic one is of the motors... the motor on the right says it runs in reverse direction.

so does that mean this boat needs two left hand props?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96289.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	286349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72448.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	286350  
Old 06-17-2005, 07:51 PM
hellomynameisdookie

Ok hold on.....have YOU run the motors yet???
Old 06-17-2005, 09:50 PM
rcfury

Well i ran the motors on a stand (out of water) but, since hobbytown dont have a pond its quite hard to test. When i turned the boat on a gave it some throttle the two shafts turn counter clockwise (or to the left). So what you say that if the shafts are turning in the same direction put 2 left hand props on them which i think is on there now, which dont work.
So on a stock setup how the shafts supposed to rotate? Called traxxas up and they couldn't tell me anything exept that you need 2 differant props to conter the torque. Supposedly one of the motors thats currently installed in the boat rotate in reverse direction which changes the matter all together.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:18 AM
MaxxChris

The problem is that reverse motor. It is spinning one of the props in reverse, that is why it isnt going any where. They easiest fix is to get a right hand prop, and replace the prop that is spinning backwards.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:07 AM
hellomynameisdookie

Are both of the PROPS turning counter clockwise?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:36 AM
rcfury

Yes both props are spinning counter clock wise...If you look at the picture of the props I posted, and both props are spinning counter clockwise. To me that should work but with massive torque steer.

So which prop is running in reverse? I think its the right prop (if you looking at it from the rear)
Old 06-19-2005, 07:11 AM
MaxxChris

If one of those motors is running in reverse, there is no concievable way both props could be spinning in the same direction. Provided that is that there is no reversing gear in one of the trannys, and they are both wired correctly.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:07 AM
hellomynameisdookie

ORIGINAL: rcfury
Yes both props are spinning counter clock wise...
So which prop is running in reverse?
Hmm..... You've got to run the motors and find out! If both props are left hand props and both props are spinning counter clockwise, then none of the motors are running in reverse.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:43 AM
jason06
My Feedback: (28)

I had a similar problem with mine with aftermarket props i got it figured out on mine i just wired it how it was stock the right prop should turn clockwise and the left counter clockwise the motors came wired funny from the factory on the right motor the wires are like this red to red black to black normal on the left red off of the esc to black on the motor and black esc wire to red the left is wired backwards
Old 07-04-2006, 12:18 PM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here is some pics.. Sorry for the crappy quality, at work we dont carry a camera in store except my cell phone cam.
pic two is of the props... which both of them rotate the same direction (to the left)
pic one is of the motors... the motor on the right says it runs in reverse direction.

so does that mean this boat needs two left hand props?

I have the old Traxxas Villain IV. Based on the pics, the prop on the right is incorrect. The direction of the prop should be clockwise on the left side. That may be the reason why the boat isn't moving . The right prop is moving the boat forward while the left prop is moving the boat backward.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:21 PM
CadillacDTS2001

well i know form the larger off shore boats
that if the props are counter rotatoing in the outward direction then it will lift the bow up , but if they are switched out and the are spining in the inward direction then the stern will be up , but either way the boat will still move ,

load it up with bats then hold one prop from moving and see what way the wind is blowing and then hold the other one and see which way the wind is blowing , if both props are putting forward thrust !
then you need to go with larger pitch props and /or , get them counter rotating to correct this( which mean new props )
and also if one prop was going in reverse while the other one was forward it would not bog it down it would spin it
docking our twin fountain it eazy with the indepent throttels!

also RCFurry , hot did u get such a dang big avatar ?

-edit my spelling haha im i got no sleep last night-
Old 07-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Good tip Eyekandy
I suggest instead of holding the props that you disengage one at a time by disconnecting the pinion. or shaft.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:52 PM
CadillacDTS2001

thats a good idea

edit my spelling, from the first post , i am not all with it 2 day or this week