Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

NQD Hydro RTR Boat ESC / Electronics Replacement?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

NQD Hydro RTR Boat ESC / Electronics Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 06:35 PM
boulderpc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NQD Hydro RTR Boat ESC / Electronics Replacement?

My son has one of those RTR Hydro electric boats by NQD with the two 380 motors. We've upgraded it to two 550 motors and are happy with it, clocked at about 26mph with a radio shack speed dectector. We are using two 4600mah 7.2v to get 14.4 volts of power as well and have upgraded the props to the biggest and highest pitches available.

Well the problem now (as in all of these =) ) is that the range on this thing goes down very quick becuase the whole thing runs on the battery packs alone. I'd also assume that the powering of the boat is also hindered by the remote unit to some degree by using one source of power for everything? The range literally decreases by about 25 feet each minute and yes, this may be part of using 14.4v but anything less and it's a tugboat! The electronics are VERY bad in it, all on one cheap board (as expected). IT would be nice to be able to seperate the power to the remote control from the rest of the board to it's own 4 AA's/4.8v source. Is this possible, does anyone who's worked on this know how to patch it in or a suggestion on how to replace it? - Include a picture of the board if you can and where to cut off the receiver power from the 7.2v packs and wire in 4.8v if possible?

I guess the best way is to get new electonics in it, does anyone know a good way to replace the electrnics in here and with what? We saw a 49mhz receiver at Hobby Town for $24.00 that runs on it's own 4.8v, but what else do we need to connect that to the engines from the battery, etc?

Any ideas, or PICTURES would be GREAT so I can learn, then teach =).

Thanks in advance!

Attached are pictures of the actual controller unit. Both sides.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35397.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	518427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16901.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	518428  
Old 09-03-2006, 07:03 PM
CadillacDTS2001

Default RE: NQD Hydro RTR Boat ESC / Electronics Replacement?

buy a new boat
Old 09-03-2006, 07:16 PM
boulderpc

I do in fact have a new boat, similar one, but the RTR Bud nitro 1/12 and that is how this boat should be made if you ask me.

Now, if anyone can help with the electric NQD knock-off boat for my son or any ideas? It's a hobby for us, not a competition if that helps.

Just looking on suggestions on how to put a receiver in this that will control the batteries. Assume it's just an ESC and receiver but what kind of ESC, etc?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:01 AM
ib2525

I have a similar boat with the vector steering and due to the radio gear buring out I replaced it with a hitec 2 channel receiver and used a micro servo from my many spares to operate to micro switches to switch the motors off to retain the vector steering. I used a 25 amp speed controller but I am having trouble with it at the moment, I dont think the amp draw is too much but it keeps turning itself off. The speed controller that is. If this is sort of what you are after let me know and i can take a couple of pictures or draw a picture to explain what I did.

It is a very simple setup and seems to work fine, was a cheap fix but ended up being more expensive than i liked but it was a problem to solve... These toys are really just rubbish, but fun. They really need a rudder and a single motor to make them even close to something interesting. Having said that my girlfreind loves it in stock form as it is simple to control, and it is good for kids... easy to use and cant do too much damage if you run it ashore. She isnt fond of my gas powered Team pro, too fast and much harder to control...