Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Aquajet- jet?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Aquajet- jet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 05:11 PM
VDub99AML
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aquajet- jet?

Hey everyone,

Here's my brainstorm that I've been thinking about doing. Tell me whether or not you think it'll work. I found where you can buy a Cen Aquajet hull new-- just the hull. It is a shallow V style hull as a lot of you know. I was thinking of installing a gaupner jet drive in this hull and building it from scratch. I don't think it would be very effective to buy a used arr or rtr because I will not be using hardly anything from the boat that I don't already have other than the jet drive, motor, and misc. little parts needed. I am kind of excited about this idea, so if you guys don't think it'll work, please tell me before I undergo this project-lol
www.toyhaus.com -cen aquajet hull
www.hobby-lobby.com -graupner jet drive gr2344
- graupner 700 motor gr3308 or gr6316
www.offshoreelctrics.com -jeti 600 esc

--Aaron
Old 09-08-2006, 07:49 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aquajet- jet?

I think it's a good idea. The shallow V I would think would work well with a jet drive.

If I was you, I would skip the Graupner motor and get the SC700 from offshore. I have one, and I have nothing to compare it to but my aquajet does 28.1 on it's fastest run on 16 cells. Let's see a Graupner motor do that

You'll have to take pics.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Quicksilver

seconded get the 700sc, mine was only $60 with the brush cooling and diode upgrade, incl shipping. Thats also the exact drive I'm using, I'm assuming you've seen my thread, since youre building a jet, so I wont bore you with info, unless you'd like me too
Old 09-08-2006, 10:39 PM
VDub99AML

After my post, I actually saw that on offshore's site, when you buy the Jeti 600 esc for $74, you can get a combo including the 700sc motor for an additional $35-- pretty good deal I'd say! The only thing I wonder about the Aquajet hull, is if the transom is tall enough to handle the jet-drive. Quicksiler, I actually just saw your post this afternoon before I added this post. Your build up looks really sweet. I still have to read the whole thing, but your boat looks really good. I do have to ask though, have you added a 700 motor yet or not? I also have decided (if I can get this project going) not to add the reversing hood. My Super Hawaii does not have reverse, and I have not run into any problems with that. In theory, what kind of speed do you guys think I could acheive with this boat setup, assuming I would have the 700sc, 12 gp 3300 cells in series and the jet drive? Oh, and another question-- is there a water pickup in the jet drive somewhere to cool the motor and esc? If not I would need some ideas on a good intake system with the least amount of resistance as possible (duh)

Thanks for the input so far!!! Keep it coming!!

--Aaron
Old 09-08-2006, 11:20 PM
VDub99AML

Oh, and one more question. What size shaft does the jet drive gr2344 have? Is it a 5 mm like the 700 motors? If so, where can I find a coupler/ U-joint to connect the two. I'm working on a total price estimate, and can't even find a u-joint that has the 5 mm shaft size on both ends. Maybe I'm just tired, but I can't find it. I found a U-joint with a 4 mm and a 5 mm end at offshoreelectrics.

Thanks again

--Aaron
Old 09-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Quicksilver

well, my motor is in my boat, you can see it in my pictures, good thought on the height restrictions, maybe it wouldnt fit. The jetdrive's shaft is 4mm, so I got a 4mm to 5mm coupler when I ordered the motor. I installed my water pick up in the jet nozzle, it acts like a pump, whenever I put the boat in the water, I hit the throttle while holding it, to make sure it's working, and work it does. I didnt install the reverse either, sometimes I wish I did, but those reversing buckets dont work very good anyways.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20423.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	521367  
Old 09-09-2006, 10:41 PM
VDub99AML

Thanks quicksiler for all the info! I have the order form on my computer now for the aquajet hull and canopy (just gotta push the dreaded "buy" button). Still thinking if I should embark on this project. Looks like it'll cost about $255 minimum to build (not including all the shipping and misc. costs). I really want to do it, I just gotta push the button
Old 09-10-2006, 05:04 AM
Quicksilver

yeah mine and this is a rough estimate cost about $630
breakdown
50 jetdrive (hobby-lobby.com)
60 radio (LHS)
30 battery packs (LHS
90 for motor, mount and coupler (offshore electrics)
100 for hull (LHS)
200 for tekin marine M432 esc (Towerhobbies)
100 for building supplies, tax, shipping etc. etc. (Mainly home depot )

was it worth it? yes, but I'd never be able to buy all that at once.

goodluck, If I were you I'd call the aqua-jet hull manufacturer and find out how high the transom is and the feasability of a jet drive in the hull.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:25 AM
VDub99AML

Hey quicksiler,

Here's a pic of the rear of the Aquajet. It is offshore's extreme aquajet, and judging by the pics, it seems to me that the jet drive would fit. what do you think?

Name:	Bz76807.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	521837  
Old 09-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Quicksilver

yeah I think it would, they say on the specs, the boat is 4" high, the jet is about 2.5" high, I think it'll fit, it may look ridiculous, in a good way. Hey why not give it a go, the drive is only $40, if it doesnt fit you could just buy another hull, for the next project.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:46 PM
VDub99AML

Alright, the Aquajet hull, cabin cover, and jet drive are ordered!!! Hopefully this new project will go smoothly and have good results! Thanks quicksiler for the specs-- I could not find them anywhere that I searched. Hopefully by Friday or Saturday I'll get the packages.

--Aaron
Old 09-12-2006, 04:40 PM
VDub99AML

Update: Cen is currently out of the Aquajet hull, and won't get a new shipment for 3 weeks, which means it'll be about 4 weeks before I get it as the hobby shop I ordered it from is in California [], and the jet drive will hopefully be here this week.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Quicksilver

guess since you dont have it yet maybe I can give you some more specs.
from my own boat, the jet drive and motor have a total length of 9.75 inches or 24.7cm. The height of the drive from the bottom of the hull to the top of the nozzle is 1.75 inches, or 44.5 mm.

specs for the aqua-jet

RTR (ready to run) w/radio
EP Version
Length: 740mm (29.1" )
Width: 230mm (9.1" )
Height: 160mm (6.3" )
Screw D42x1.4
Power: motor 550/775
Weight: approx. 1,500g (3.3lbs) / 2,000g (4.4lbs)
Drive System: Direct shaft system

Aqua Jet w/550 Motor 2055 15+mph
Aqua Jet w/775 Motor 2753 20+mph
Old 11-15-2006, 06:05 PM
VDub99AML

Alright, well, I still haven't received my Aquajet hull after 2 months, and I'm starting to reconsider the Aquajet hull and try something fiberglass. I would like to stay in the 29-30" shallow V size range/hull style because I already have the jet drive. I think a fiberglass hull would be easier to modify to fit the drive and mount in the hull. If anyone knows where to get this type of hull, any information would be appreciated. I saw the one that eyecandy pointed out to quicksilver, and I like that hull a lot-- if it were glass, I'd buy it right now and cancel the Aquajet order. Any other opinions/suggestions will be awesome!

--Aaron
Old 11-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this one's pretty cool, I'd even consider this as an option for me.
http://www.finedesignrc.com/aeroriosetuppics.htm
They have a bunch under areomarine hulls
Old 11-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Quicksilver1

oh, this is nice too. Offshore electrics Aero Marine Titan 29

Name:	Rp44187.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	560930  
Old 11-15-2006, 08:11 PM
VDub99AML

Wow, I like the Aeromarine Titan 29! I would like to have the boat painted yellow, with the yellow "peeling" off on the bow revealing a "carbon fiber" (painted) hull, and with the actual carbon fiber bottom, that would look awesome. Thanks quicksilver for the links.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Quicksilver1

no problem

I'd get it but we cant have the same boat. It's pretty hot
Old 11-15-2006, 11:12 PM
VDub99AML

I think it'd be alright to have the same boat, just so long as they're painted different.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Quicksilver1

its cool, but I'm running another experiment, I'm getting the abs boat and coating it with rhino liner paint. Which should effectively make the boat indestructible. The paint is really expensive, but it happens my father just used about 2 gallons on his real boat and has a pint left over. Basically it's rubberized paint. Should be interesting if anything.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:50 PM
VDub99AML

Wow, that rhino liner is really tough. That kinda worked out conveniently that he just bought a whole bunch! Which hull are you going to get?
Old 11-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Quicksilver1

this one http://www.finedesignrc.com/hullsh20.asp I have to find out if I can tint the paint, unfortunately it's tan. I'd put it on the inside, but it makes more sense to put it on the outside of the hull. Pretty much I should be able to technically smash the boat, completely cracking the hull and the paint wont break, therefore savingthe boat. Apparently my dad was saying people are painting off road trucks with the stuff and the military is starting to use it on small assualt boats. Should be neat

People will be like your boat's tan and then I'll smash it into a rock and theyll say your an idiot, but why is the boat still going.
lol I'm a moron.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:27 PM
VDub99AML

That boat looks sweet. You have my permission to get the titan 29-- my aquajet is on its way. lol.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:38 PM
VDub99AML

Finally!!! My Aquajet hull has arrived! I didn't realize untill I got it today how shallow the "V" really is. That should make for
an easier modification to make the jet drive fit. The hull I got is the gp version, so the transom and hull bottom are already reinforced. The only bad thing about this so far, is the cabin cover didn't come with the driver's heads. I'll have to get those later. I'll post pics soon, I'm too tired to mess with the camera now.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:53 AM
Quicksilver1

glad to see the hull arrived!

take the installation slow, measure 50 times and cut once. I dont know if your gonna use a dremel tool, but hopefully you will. My suggestion fit the drive from the inside, the first cut should be the transom imo, once that's all lined up, glass in the drive, with the bottom of the hull still uncut. After the epoxy has cured cut through the hull carefully from the bottom and work your way out to the edges of the intake. This will probably come out cleaner than trying to cut both holes and fit it all at once. I've learned a few things after doing this a few times.

Only mentioning this in case you install the drive before I come on again.
talk to ya later

~QS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.