Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

SV27 Water Cooling

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

SV27 Water Cooling

Old 08-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Confusedude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SV27 Water Cooling

like others my motor gets very hot during runs, and i want to cool it down,

If i bought AquaCraft GrimRacer Transom Water Pick Up Assembly ( http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRDF9&P=7 ), and OSE Water Jacket for Feigao 540 Sized Motors ( http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=ose-mjacket ), Could i just put them on and connect the stock tubeing to them and be done?

Well i ordered them both i hope i dont need more tubeing, or bigger tubeing
Old 09-10-2008, 08:28 PM
WO

I am building a new sk daddle and puting in a brushless motor and it will put a sig fuel pump to run the water around and not fry my motor as I did in my sv-27 the first time out. wo
Old 09-22-2008, 04:29 PM
WO

Looks like a good idea for me as a little drag is a lot better that a fryed motor and esc. wo
Old 09-22-2008, 05:59 PM
WO

Now thats what I call way cool! wo
Old 03-24-2009, 02:13 PM
sasse2323

I havent ran my unit yet, i have been doing some fine tuning. I blew through the cooling tube and it seems very restrictive, THEN I BLEW DOWN THE FITTING ON THE RUDDER AND NOTHING WENT THROUGH. The rudder pickup on my boat is totally sealed shut. So i added a pickup on the transom like everyone else. Just a warning for everyone.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:46 PM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one day i had this crazy idea to water cool my batteries, this is what happened. Although it did keep the batteries alot cooler they didn't preform well anymore to me, the were trinity 5000 mah nihm packs. Shortly after this i bought lipo because they are supposed to be cooler running and all. Now i just run a water line for both the esc and motor, just some copper tubbing i epoxied in, waited for it to cure then grinded down with dremel, not the prettiest but it didn't cost any extra money cause i had the stuff laying around
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74699.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1170383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46729.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1170384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56753.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1170385  
Old 04-02-2009, 03:57 AM
WakeBoardnBash

ORIGINAL: asupervee72

one day i had this crazy idea to water cool my batteries, this is what happened. Although it did keep the batteries alot cooler they didn't preform well anymore to me, the were trinity 5000 mah nihm packs. Shortly after this i bought lipo because they are supposed to be cooler running and all. Now i just run a water line for both the esc and motor, just some copper tubbing i epoxied in, waited for it to cure then grinded down with dremel, not the prettiest but it didn't cost any extra money cause i had the stuff laying around

*Shakes Head

....WOW
Old 04-02-2009, 10:15 PM
asupervee72

i know, sometimes i amaze myself
Old 04-02-2009, 11:07 PM
WakeBoardnBash

Your humiliating your self by posting the things you have posted here.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:39 AM
SV27dayton

There has been some discussion of doing this (cooling bats) but with the advent of lipo it's not necessary and w/ nimh its not effective because of the nature of the cells. They are pretty good inslators. So cooling the outside of them is somewhat like colling a brushed motor with an exterior can. It's just difficult to pull heat from the inside. I don't know that he's humiliating himself that much. I cautioned him once b/c some of his posts sounded like doing some dangerous things were OK. This gets some people in trouble because nobody knows if you have any idea what you are doing. You aren't requred to put a signature that says Hi I'm bob, I'm twelve and my mom makes me wear my helmet all the time. I don't mind reading about his adventures. You wouldn't need to do this if you read ever thread on the SV but some peoples nature is that they have to try things and I respect that. If you have more money than patience then start carving. Just put a disclaimer and don't artificially make it sould like an experiment was successful if it wasn't.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 PM
asupervee72

why is that?
Old 04-03-2009, 07:37 PM
asupervee72

i dont make any of my experiments sound artificially succesufull, i just say what i do and what happens, for the batteries i know it wasn't really that logical but i was melting them all the time and they stoped melting as soon as i did that, the water pick ups i use work much better than stock and provide a flow that is steady but not over whelming, the prop i use works just fine for me like i have said before. i know a speed controller that is rated for 18 volts is likly to blow when you run 21.6 volts through it but that was a risk i was willing to take. As for reading the entire 120 page sv thread, a lot of it is just talk and i didnt come across it until after i had done this stuff, as for the bob and mom comment i dont really know what you're talking about there
Old 04-03-2009, 07:44 PM
SV27dayton

OK the prop works fine (a smashing success), but my batts are melting. I understand. I do.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:00 PM
asupervee72

they only melt if i dont pay attention to how long i've been running, i dont ever recally saying it was a smashing sucess, just that i like the perfomance i get out of it, i really got sick of the stock prop because if you fall off of plane then it;s like erereshshshshlwwerew cavitating for 15 feet or so and i just thought the way it perfomed was unpredictable. when i ordered props i selected a x646/3, a x442r(didn't know the r meant right) a 2045 glass filled and one other size i dont remember. The result was that the 646 was the best out of what i had, the reason i still use it is because i don't feel like spending 25 bucks and waiting three weeks to get a different prop. if you know where to order props from within the states that link would be much appreciated

it is not my intention to convince anybody to run the set up i have , but rather to inform others of what has been done just incase they were curious, i now know that the 442 or the 440/3 are the best choices, but then again that's what everyone is running so i just wanted to try out something i hadn't seen done before ive seen vids with 45 mm props and 48 mm props so i figured what the hell order something in the middle of those.

i dont feel it is proper to say im humiliating myself for trying things. Just because you are locked into following the mold others create doesn't mean you know anything, i feel that rc's are made to try experimenting with. There would be no information to read on if there weren't people out there trying different things to see what the best it. Sometimes the things i try don't work out and sometimes they do, that's the nature of the beast.

to sv27dayton and others thank you for taking the time to read my post and put down your thoughts regarding what i say

to the wakeboardnbash guy c'mon im not hear to bash people or get bashed on, i thought this was a forum to discuss sv cooling set ups which exactly what i did, if you dont agree with it then dont copy it, copy someone elses cause im sure that is all you are capable of.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:47 AM
1RiverRat

You can get props in 3 days for 5 bucks shipping. http://www.kintecracing.com/Supervee_27_upgrades.html
Old 04-05-2009, 07:28 AM
SV27dayton

the 45 and 48 you saw were 2 blades. That a huge diff from 3 blades. If it's working for you ok.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:46 AM
WakeBoardnBash

lmao

i love this guy and all his success stories.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:05 PM
SV27dayton

What he lacks in patience he makes up in enthusiasm.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:24 PM
asupervee72

glad i could amuse you. and yes i am very impatient
Old 04-05-2009, 02:51 PM
asupervee72

thanks for the link i guess, they had too many things i wanted, just dropped 2 bills between batteries and what i just got on that sight( lipo protect, x642, prater 220, and the bullet nut) shipping time seems way more reasonable than the 3 weeks from china and the prop prices were a bit lower as well, can't wait to balance them and get them on the sv, any body have a link for the lightest gps, i heard it's like a garmin or somthing like that
Old 04-14-2009, 11:08 AM
brad65ford

I was thinking if using a old school 540 size coil rap cooling tube but epoxying it to the motor. This might work really well since the coil itself will pass evenly around the motor instead of this aftermarket straigh shot through cooling. I don't know what epoxy to use that wont fail. But I'm thinking that would conduct heat much better. Just a though guys.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:21 PM
SV27dayton

That would totally depend on the conductivity of the epoxy. Where I work we bond semiconductor to graphite or aluminum both of which conduct heat well. We use an elastomer that is designed to conduct heat to bond them together but even that does not suit our needs to aluminum power is added to the elastomer. Some epoxys make pretty good heat barriers. Thet would probably make it worse the the normal coil. I dont think you can do much better than putting the water in contact with the can. Even if the flow is not orgaized water conducts within it's self very well. I understand what you are thinking but I'd still stick with the jacket. Mush more contact area and no indirect = (water to aluminum to epoxy to can to windings) 5 direct = (water to can to windings) 3